Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thing brake light problems
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Panheadguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:49 am    Post subject: Thing brake light problems Reply with quote

Hello, I am in FL Keys and a police officer was kind enough to notice my brake lights aren't working. All I have is a test light and a wife to pump the brakes if I ask nicely. I opened the dash and found I had power to both the black and red wires on the system warning light. When the pedal is depressed The red wire goes dead. Can anyone steer me to a fix? Sad
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Thing brake light problems Reply with quote

This thorough explanation of the Thing brake electrics might help.
Good luck, Mondshine
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/D...0Light.pdf
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Panheadguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Thing brake light problems Reply with quote

Thanks Mondshine. I reviewed the info. My light is not working at all never has. The tiny indicator bulb may be burned out. Regardless, the brakes are fine but my brake lights don't come on..
Panheadguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing brake light problems Reply with quote

Even if the warning light is inoperative, the stop lights should still work? Correct?
kenj06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing brake light problems Reply with quote

Panheadguy wrote:
Even if the warning light is inoperative, the stop lights should still work? Correct?

Correct. The warning light will not affect the brake light operation.
I'll assume you have checked fuses and bulbs. There is a connector by the brake fluid reservoir that I have had separate and cause the brake lights to go out.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Its a pain to get to and even more difficult to work on.
Sorry, that's the best picture I have but should give you a general idea where its at.
Panheadguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Thing brake light problems Reply with quote

Thanks Kenj,
I have determined that there is power at the connection you show. I assume that power is going to the two brake light switches but not to the lights. Next I will remove the gas tank and check the switches and connections there.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Thing brake light problems Reply with quote

Clean all connections & coat with dielectric grease & clean ground connections to taillights. A disappearing voltage issue is usually traced back to a poor connection at the fuse panel, either the fuse or spade terminals.

The plug connections at the brake switches were the culprit on my Ghia.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Thing brake light problems Reply with quote

Panheadguy wrote:
Thanks Kenj,
I have determined that there is power at the connection you show. I assume that power is going to the two brake light switches but not to the lights. Next I will remove the gas tank and check the switches and connections there.

You do not need to remove the gas tank to get to the switches on the master cylinder. Just remove the left front wheel (assuming your Thing is LHD) and you can access it through the opening in the back of the wheel well.

I had to replace my switches two years ago. Was able to buy them at NAPA but had to go to the local NAPA distribution center to pick them up if I wanted them the same day (my local store did not stock them).
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing brake light problems Reply with quote

Have you tried spinning your fuses? Sometimes corrosion in the fuse box can allow a small amount of current enough to show 12v on a meter, but not enough to light the bulbs.

It's a quick check - just pop open the fuse box and spin each fuse in place and see if your problem goes away. If it does, pop each fuse out and clean up the terminals and brush off the end of each fuse. A light coating of dielectric grease can help out too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JBall8019
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: Thing brake light problems Reply with quote

I recently had brake light issues that frustrated me. After you check your fuses, grounds and brake light switches, take a very close look at your tail light housings. Make sure the plastic sockets in the tail light housings are positioned correctly or aren't damaged.
Madkel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Thing brake light problems Reply with quote

I had some issues with my tail lights that JBall described.

the backing plate for the tail light bulb sockets had broken and were not making contact with the bulb. pulled them off the car and used some epoxy to fix the broken area around the socket. then a careful insertion of the bulb to make sure. everything works fine now.
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing brake light problems Reply with quote

I usually have no helper either. I use a board to press on the pedal with nail driven into it so I can snug it up on the drivers seat front. I also have a mirror I can set up to see the lights when I'm checking wires, fuses etc. Works fine. Just FYI.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: