Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake Disc Conversion A La Carte
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shane Tuttle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:11 pm    Post subject: Brake Disc Conversion A La Carte Reply with quote

I see a lot of different disc brake conversion kits out there. Some problems I see with them:

1. Some parts are not needed.
2. Some parts are not what I want.
3. Some parts are not the quality I expect.

I have a '74 Std Beetle. I want to convert to disc brakes all the way around. Instead of the kits, I'm looking to buy a la cart. Can anyone take a look at what I currently have, what I REALLY need, and changes I should make to my list?

On the Front:

TRW calipers/pads
Ghia Spindles (this should negate the need to buy the caliper brackets?)
Rotors w/associated bearings/seals
Stainless hoses

On the Rear:

Looking to order the kit from Car Craft Store and be done with it. It appears to have the e-brake cables, etc. I'll install stainless braided lines here, too. Is there an ongoing problem with the quality of the caliper brackets?

I was told if I was only going to only convert to discs in the front, I could use the stock master cylinder. However, if I go discs all the way around, I may not. I'm concerned if I can't because I wanted to spend money on a better quality master cylinder and it appears only inferior ones are available to handle the 4 discs. Can anyone provide me the proper setup with quality in mind?
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Disc Conversion A La Carte Reply with quote

I haven’t seen a good, German master cylinder for four-wheel discs. I have disc brakes only on the front, and I’m perfectly happy with that. A German mc is perfectly adequate for the front disc/rear drum arrangement.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Shane Tuttle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Disc Conversion A La Carte Reply with quote

Thanks, Tim.
1968BUGMAN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Disc Conversion A La Carte Reply with quote

I'm using the CB performance master for four wheel discs, it is really good and I am happy with it. I am using a cb performance disc kit front and rear. I am really happy with it so far.
Installing a Stereo Into a Classic VW | https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9502179#9502179
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Disc Conversion A La Carte Reply with quote

1968BUGMAN wrote:
I'm using the CB performance master for four wheel discs, it is really good and I am happy with it. I am using a cb performance disc kit front and rear. I am really happy with it so far.

I had the same brakes but with the factory drum brake MC(1973 Super). Brakes were amazing.

H2OSB
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Disc Conversion A La Carte Reply with quote

I suggest that you install the fronts first. See how you like it. Then decide if you still want to do the rear. And to do this you already have all the parts.
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
Shane Tuttle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Disc Conversion A La Carte Reply with quote

bnam,

Why the cautionary tale? Is it too much brake for such a light vehicle? I live in the Rocky Mountains and I wanted plenty of braking power.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Disc Conversion A La Carte Reply with quote

Don't forget backing plates.

FYI... no need for read disc. Front disc and rear drums are more than enough.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BenJAMin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Disc Conversion A La Carte Reply with quote

I've had 4 wheel discs on my '74 Super for 15 years with a new at the time ATE stock master cylinder. From what I can see there is nothing wrong with using a stock master cylinder and it stops great and no adjustment. There is not reason from a driving perspective not to go 4 wheel discs.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: