Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1974 Super Beetle Sun Beetle Sedan Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
creative native Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Super Beetle Sun Beetle Sedan Build Reply with quote

The new Wolfsburg West headliner, sun visors from TMI and sunroof handle & plate from Jbugs all look great. I went for a long drive today and I knew this is the closest I've ever had to a new Super Beetle (or any air cooled VW).

I feel that the hardest parts are behind me now, but I still have work to do. There are some details I need to finish up like reinstall the passenger's side seat belt receiver and their bolt caps.

My next projects will be to have the original bumpers rechromed, install the LED headlights & fog lights, the dash clock and all corresponding NOS toggle switches. I have not had any luck securing a working or restored BN2 Eberspacher gas heater, but am going to install the toggle switch anyhow.

Being that the original bumpers have survived this long without being rusty, beat up or drilled, I will be keeping it that way. If you have a '74-'79 with fog lights that are not mounted to your bumper, I would greatly appreciate any advice on how you arranged yours without welding or drilling.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Super Beetle Sun Beetle Sedan Build Reply with quote

creative native wrote:
... This is the seat tag that was found in one of the seats, in case anybody is interested. "Vorderlehne" means "front seat."

Vordersitz - front seat
Vorderlehne - front backrest

Now that's nitpicking! Very Happy

Awesome headliner by the way. Cool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Super Beetle Sun Beetle Sedan Build Reply with quote

[quote="Maddel"]
creative native wrote:
... This is the seat tag that was found in one of the seats, in case anybody is interested. [b]"Vorderlehne" means "front seat."

Vordersitz - front seat

Quote:

It is not nitpicking if it is simply correct. Thank you for the correction. My German isn't what it once was.

Thank you for the headliner compliment! Throughout 30 years of driving old VW's, I've never had an air cooled VW with a new headliner installed before. It really feels like driving a new car.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Super Beetle Sun Beetle Sedan Build Reply with quote

The headliner looks great!

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Super Beetle Sun Beetle Sedan Build Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
The headliner looks great!

Tim
Quote:

Thanks much, Tim. I haven't been around much, but have been wondering what's going on with your Sun Bug. The last I heard was that you were looking for carpet options. What did you decide on?
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Super Beetle Sun Beetle Sedan Build Reply with quote

For Christmas, I got a full set of TMI Oatmeal carpeting. I later purchased some Killmat sound deadener, and 1/4 inch Dynamat closed-foam sound insulation. I’m waiting for nicer weather to tackle this job.

Although, last week, I pulled my gas tank and replaced all the fuel lines with German braided Flennor 5mm hose, as well as the same stuff, but in 4mm size for the expansion chamber hoses. This also gave me a chance to replace the filler hose. It had been six, maybe seven years since I last did this.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Super Beetle Sun Beetle Sedan Build Reply with quote

The oatmeal was my second choice. I am looking forward to seeing it installed. I'm sure it will look amazing in your Sun Bug.

Congratulations on the fuel lines! Although mine appear perfectly fine, I'm still planning on replacing them so that I know exactly when they were replaced and with what quality lines.
Bambergvr6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Super Beetle Sun Beetle Sedan Build Reply with quote

Duane, your Sunbug is looking great. Keep up the excellent work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Super Beetle Sun Beetle Sedan Build Reply with quote

Bambergvr6 wrote:
Duane, your Sunbug is looking great. Keep up the excellent work.

Thank you much, BambergVR6! Your '74 continues to be an inspiration.

Next I will have the original bumpers rechromed, then install the fog lights and LED headlights and the NOS dash toggle switches that I got for the fog lights, gas heater (still haven't found a suitable one, but will be installing the switch), emergency flasher and rear window defroster. I have a new headlight switch, but it isn't NOS. I also have my dash clock that I need to cut an aperture for in my spare Sun Bug dash plate. I also plan on cutting mounting screw hole caps from the piece I cut out for the clock aperture. This way I can gift these nowadays missing and difficult to find screw caps to fellow Sun Buggers.
NerdyGunny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Super Beetle Sun Beetle Sedan Build Reply with quote

[quote="creative native"]
Maddel wrote:
creative native wrote:
... This is the seat tag that was found in one of the seats, in case anybody is interested. [b]"Vorderlehne" means "front seat."

Vordersitz - front seat

Quote:

It is not nitpicking if it is simply correct. Thank you for the correction. My German isn't what it once was.

Thank you for the headliner compliment! Throughout 30 years of driving old VW's, I've never had an air cooled VW with a new headliner installed before. It really feels like driving a new car.

It looks great! I just bought a 74 SBSB and should be picking it up here in a couple days!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Super Beetle Sun Beetle Sedan Build Reply with quote

NerdyGunny, Thank you much! It has been a labor of love and good medicine.

Congratulations on your SBSB! I hope you share photos as soon as you get it and update us along your journey with it.
bugnut55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Super Beetle Sun Beetle Sedan Build Reply with quote

I have been following your build and have a couple answers maybe for the fog light install. I have used these
https://www.amazon.com/Mounting-Nilight-Universal-Adjustable-Installing/dp/B0824RPMDB
and also these
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-TYPE-1-BUG-SUPER-BEETL...1210677607

If I recall your beetle uses round mounts for the front bumpers so it is possible some of the newer 2 pc clamp style like these may also work

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RIGID-Universal-Tube-LED-Light-Mounting-Bracket-

I'm partial to fog lights myself!
Wanted-AJ PIERSON dealership items
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Super Beetle Sun Beetle Sedan Build Reply with quote

Bagnut55, thank you very much for the help! I will be checking these out.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Super Beetle Sun Beetle Sedan Build Reply with quote

Today was a beautiful Spring day in western NC and I took advantage of the weather and took care of a few pending details on the Sun Bug:

1. I finally reinstalled the passenger's seat belt receiver and bolt caps.

2. My original glove box latch has been difficult to open for as long as I've owned the SB, so I bought a latch from Pawel in Poland WITH keys. Nice!

3. I changed the oil and am continuing to use Mobil1 15-50 with great results. While under there, I cleaned the cooling tins and case. This is the nicest air cooled engine I've ever had and intend to keep it as immaculate as possible.

4. I bought an accessory trunk seal from The Samba classifieds and finally installed that today as well. The trunk closes quite tightly now and that's the goal, right? Since installing the new Wolfsburg West trunk liner, I've noticed that some dust, pollen and a couple of tiny leaves found their way into the trunk. I have a feeling that will stop now.

Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Super Beetle Sun Beetle Sedan Build Reply with quote

Looking good!

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Super Beetle Sun Beetle Sedan Build Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Looking good!

Tim

Thanks much, Tim! Did you get your carpet installed?
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Super Beetle Sun Beetle Sedan Build Reply with quote

I’m in the middle of it now. I’m currently installing Killmat on the rear shelf and wheel wells. After that, I have some Dynamat sound deadener for certain areas where under the rear seat.

I feel like a failed contortionist.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
solorogue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Super Beetle Sun Beetle Sedan Build Reply with quote

I just purchased a 74' Super Beetle for my son and I to do a project and spend some quality time together. Your post and pics give me hope we can fix our's up, though I have to admit this is my first ever Beetle.

The first thing we are going to do is a front disk break conversion from Jbugs. The old drums came off pretty easy, which surprised me, so just waiting for the parts to come in.

I also pulled the running boards off and have some rust to deal with on the back quarter panel. It's been 20 years plus since I welded .. so here is hoping

[/img]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Super Beetle Sun Beetle Sedan Build Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:

I feel like a failed contortionist.

Tim

This tells me that you're definitely the one doing the installation! I felt just the same.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Super Beetle Sun Beetle Sedan Build Reply with quote

solorogue wrote:
I just purchased a 74' Super Beetle for my son and I to do a project and spend some quality time together. Your post and pics give me hope we can fix our's up, though I have to admit this is my first ever Beetle.

Solorogue, I am glad that the process of bettering my Super Beetle has been inspiring. I've also found plenty of inspiration in the build threads in the late model forums. I hope to watch the progress that you and son make with your '74 SB on a build thread. Fortunately, there are so many knowledgeable and experienced VW owners here that I'm sure you will find all the inspiration and help that you will need. Thanks for the compliment and best of luck to you and son!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: