Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Crank case breather tower goop
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nickel_Nackel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:09 pm    Post subject: Crank case breather tower goop Reply with quote

I am in the middle of cleaning my throttle body and when u pulled out my hose that connects to the boot I found a lot of liquid (I’m assuming it’s just water from condensation)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

On the bottom you can see some liquid. Probably nothing? Anyways

I pulled the hose off and in my crank case tower there was a lot of yellowish white goop build up.

Not sure what this is or if it’s concerning. Tbh I don’t even know what exactly the tower does but I’m in the middle of looking for an idle problem and this just happened to come up.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Crank case breather tower goop Reply with quote

Correct, you're not letting the engine get hot enough to boil off the water that condenses inside.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Crank case breather tower goop Reply with quote

Water mixed with oil makes that color goop.

What does the oil on your dipstick look like?
There's always going to be an amount of condensation, but if you find this on your dipstick then there are some other things to think about.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Crank case breather tower goop Reply with quote

Well... is your engine aircooled or water cooled?

If watercooled then you might have a real problem.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Nickel_Nackel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Crank case breather tower goop Reply with quote

Yeah it’s watercooled. Uh oh, what does this mean? Leak of some sort though the cooling system?
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Crank case breather tower goop Reply with quote

Nickel_Nackel wrote:
Yeah it’s watercooled. Uh oh, what does this mean? Leak of some sort though the cooling system?

Maybe, what does the oil on the dipstick look like?

Nickel_Nackel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Crank case breather tower goop Reply with quote

Looks pretty normal. I did change it last year but I haven’t driven it since last summer because of this idle issue. When I changed it I didn’t notice anything strange. What am I looking for exactly like a white ish color?
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Crank case breather tower goop Reply with quote

Nickel_Nackel wrote:
Looks pretty normal. I did change it last year but I haven’t driven it since last summer because of this idle issue. When I changed it I didn’t notice anything strange. What am I looking for exactly like a white ish color?

Yes, if you had that then it means coolant is getting into the oil. Usually by a head gasket leak.

Last edited by Steve M. on Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:36 am; edited 1 time in total
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Crank case breather tower goop Reply with quote

Oil + Water = white goop.

You are looking at engine oil vapor build up.

Short trips not allowing the engine to run at operating temperatures often have this.

Oil change A year ago?
Change it.

You do not ever want to see white goop in your radiator or on your dipstick.

In the vent tube? Sure....... but it should be minimal.

It is time for a good long drive after your oil change.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: Crank case breather tower goop Reply with quote

Assuming it is just condensation it is either from taking multiple short trips where the engine doesn't reach normal operating temperature and/or doesn't stay at temperature for long, or it could be because the thermostat is bleeding past and over cooling the engine. Firing the engine up every month or so because you think it needs to be run could be a cause as well. It is usually best to let an unused engine just sit than to run it from time to time without getting it out on the highway and getting it nice and hot.

The build up of what I call Engine Snot can eventually clog the breather hoses which in turn will cause the crankcase pressure to spike, which can cause all of the oil to be blown out of the crankcase in a very short period in time, which can lead to engine failure, so yes you want to minimize the buildup.

Having some water in the crankcase is absolutely normal as water is a product of the combustion of gasoline, but excessive buildup of Engine Snot is not. One of the fallacies of the VW engine ventilation system is that it does not introduce fresh air into the crankcase which can help evaporate and transport excess water.
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Crank case breather tower goop Reply with quote

This is why I put on an Mann oil catch can system. Catches this sludge before entering back into the intake track.
nate
That Baldwin Life YouTube Channel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Nickel_Nackel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Crank case breather tower goop Reply with quote

okay so this is great information. I have been starting it up a few times every week and not taking it out to drive. so this short trip theory is probably what it is. Oil looks fine. and my coolant levels have not really dropped (although I have not been driving) I usually have to add a tiny bit a few times a year to keep the coolant tank topped off.

I have not changed the oil because I haven't driven it for the past year, but I will get to that this week.

so as far as cleaning the goop out do I need to do anything for that? is it pretty much just at the tip of the breather hose mouth because of the condensation?

engine snot is a new term I never knew about
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Crank case breather tower goop Reply with quote

Yeah...... oil looks fine....... change it. It's been sitting for a year, you have moisture issues in the engine. Cheap insurance.

Then drive it, take a long drive. You will find that white goop will decrease with long hot drives.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Nickel_Nackel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Crank case breather tower goop Reply with quote

great! thank you!
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Crank case breather tower goop Reply with quote

goldtooth wrote:
This is why I put on an Mann oil catch can system. Catches this sludge before entering back into the intake track.
nate

What does your "Mann oil catch can system" look like?

Thanks

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Crank case breather tower goop Reply with quote

goldtooth wrote:
nate

I have had lots of engine of various makes including both aircooled and water cooled VWs go passed the 250K mile mark with conventional PCV systems which dump the crankcase vapor into the intake air, while almost no engines with draft tubes made it anywhere near that long. In fact I believe that the conventional PCV system is the most important technical improvement done to engines in my lifetime.

What advantage would there be to not dumping the crankcase vapors into the intake?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: