Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

dishing pistons question
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:57 pm    Post subject: dishing pistons question Reply with quote

those of you who have dished pistons , how much were you comfortable dishing them? was there a special shape that you prefer? and any width & depth measurements that equal xx cc's?
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:40 am    Post subject: Re: dishing pistons question Reply with quote

I dished my AA for just a touch over 5cc in my 2276 that saw 7500.
65mm x 1.6mm deep iirc. I'll check my build thread

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: dishing pistons question Reply with quote

I have cut .080" off cast aftermarket pistons with no issue. Crown is typically .250" thick, so you still have lots.

I think .100 is the safe limit on forged stuff.
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: dishing pistons question Reply with quote

I had Gene Berg dish mine 10cc. For turbo use.. Forged Mahles.

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: dishing pistons question Reply with quote

I like a trough/bathtub style dish, the depth depends on crown thickenss as well as amount needed to come out. also dont go to far outward, especialy with round dishes, thus loosing all the good quench.
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: dishing pistons question Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
I like a trough/bathtub style dish, the depth depends on crown thickenss as well as amount needed to come out. also dont go to far outward, especialy with round dishes, thus loosing all the good quench.

I really wish we had a like button or something like that for the samba. Mark is right on the money.

I like being wrong, Because, it is another opportunity to learn. If you stop learning from your mistakes than what is the point?

If you have any questions about Forged ICON 4032 VW pistons just shoot me a line.
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: dishing pistons question Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:

Sure, but I'm better on a lathe than I am the mill. My dish only slightly overlapped the quench pad, given the tools and skills I had, it's as good as I could do to gain the cc.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: dishing pistons question Reply with quote

just set the fly cutter to the size you want and sweep as you watch the dro...pretty eazy...also when doing the dish be aware of the top ring so you dont cause any issues getting too thin.and never make a square cut dish always a raidi at the bottom.witch also flows much better. Ive seen people dish pistons out tofar and lift the ring land area even break it off...not good.,
also if your doing it on a lathe...witch of fine to do.if the pistons dont have a accumulator groove add one to them between the top&second rings.some use a "v" groove some use a "c or half moon.I like the half moon, but they boith work.if you do a "V" I would have a slight flat at the bottom/valley
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: