Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

63 Beetle speed stability
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chevy5150
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:54 pm    Post subject: 63 Beetle speed stability Reply with quote

What’s up guys? My first post. I have a 63 beetle. Needed a front end rebuild so I put new king pins in links and all new steering linkage. I chose new 2 inch drop spindles and also added a caster shim. It’s still super sketchy above about 45 miles an hour. I read a lot of you guys too alking about doing 60 and 70 miles an hour in your beetle and it scares me to death. Anybody have any pointers to smooth out my twitchy handling at highway speed ‘s?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Beetle speed stability Reply with quote

Did you have it aligned?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Beetle speed stability Reply with quote

Correct tire pressure, alignment, good spring plate bushings, tires, shocks, tie rods and steering box. When I had the upright Type 4 in my 61, I could drive it one handed over 100 mph, very stable, but all the above was new or like new and I have wide tires both ends, sway bars on both ends and the car is evenly lowered (no rake to cause the wing lift affect)
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
Chevy5150
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Beetle speed stability Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Did you have it aligned?

Yes it was aligned. I forgot that part.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Beetle speed stability Reply with quote

What size tires are you running and what pressure do you have them set at?

When you had the car aligned, did you get a copy of all the alignment specs they set it to? If yes, please post them up.

Have you verified the link pins and front wheel bearings are properly tightened with no excessive play?
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Beetle speed stability Reply with quote

Tire/wheel balance can make a difference too. Years ago I bought my own bolt-on balance adapter because most tire shops didn't have machines that the VW wide-5 rim fits onto any more.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: 63 Beetle speed stability Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
Tire/wheel balance can make a difference too. Years ago I bought my own bolt-on balance adapter because most tire shops didn't have machines that the VW wide-5 rim fits onto any more.

Same here
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: 63 Beetle speed stability Reply with quote

Since you have new king pins, there is a possibility that they are too tight & do not allow the steering to self center, this will cause you to constantly correct the steering & then re-correct as you drive which becomes twitchier as you increase speed.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: 63 Beetle speed stability Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Since you have new king pins, there is a possibility that they are too tight & do not allow the steering to self center, this will cause you to constantly correct the steering & then re-correct as you drive which becomes twitchier as you increase speed.

Exactly the case with my new front end rebuild. The shop had to ream them out again and what a difference it made.
Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: 63 Beetle speed stability Reply with quote

what tire size and tire pressure?
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: 63 Beetle speed stability Reply with quote

Air pressure, good steering damper are the two things I would check since you did the others.
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Beetle speed stability Reply with quote

Yes what’s the air pressure of the tyres. If you aren’t running something like 18 psi up front and around 24 at the back then you’ll have problems. Find the correct pressure in the manual or Technical Archives here.

Unlike modern heavy behemoths you don’t need 36psi or more all round.

Too high a tyre pressure will make it handle like a pig.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: