Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear crossmember advice please
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Replace or patch?
Replace with fresh panels
77%
 77%  [ 7 ]
Patch these guys!
22%
 22%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 9

Fenian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:02 am    Post subject: Rear crossmember advice please Reply with quote

Are these worth patching or replacing?

I知 a novice welder 😱
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks!

Fenian
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear crossmember advice please Reply with quote

Replace them, both. You will need to replace some of the inner fender as well.

Are those your welds along the heater channel. They look bulky, too thick. Either turn up the heat, or turn down the wire feed, or pull the puddle faster. I always turn up the heat!

That is a tricky spot to weld in. It is called the Lower Luggage Shelf. It welds to the Luggage Shelf, the Inner Fender Well and the Rear Quarter Panel. Be really patient, as buckling the Quarter Panel is really easy to do!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Fenian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear crossmember advice please Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice! No these are the previous owner痴 welds. I only just got her. I agree it looks a bit botchy 🤭.
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Rear crossmember advice please Reply with quote

You'll need to drill out the spot welds for that panel, and unbolt it from the outriggers of the floor pan. If you lightly sand the areas where the spotwelds are, they will reveal themselves so you can drill them out. Then use a flat putty knife and hammer to separate the two sections. The panel is called a rear cross member. There's one for the right and left. You'll also have to patch parts of the body where that panel attaches to.

... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fenian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear crossmember advice please Reply with quote

Thanks for your the images! Very helpful!

As the metal guy s so thin on top, would it not be better to just cut the panel along where the spot welds attach and use the remaining metal as an additional strengthening element?

I知 assuming I値l need to fabricate the patches for the area at the ends of the heater channels.

Thanks for your help!

Fen
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Rear crossmember advice please Reply with quote

You will find a lot of rust that has started in between the spot welds. If you disassemble the seam, you will have access to clean and treat that area before welding in the new panels. If not, you may run the risk of crappy holding welds and failure down the road.

I always like to get to good steel! Worth it every time!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Fenian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Rear crossmember advice please Reply with quote

Thanks, Jimbo! Guess I'd best get drilling then Very Happy
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Rear crossmember advice please Reply with quote

Fenian wrote:
Thanks, Jimbo! Guess I'd best get drilling then Very Happy

Yep! Not fun, but worth the time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Rear crossmember advice please Reply with quote

Fenian wrote:
Thanks for your the images! Very helpful!

As the metal guy s so thin on top, would it not be better to just cut the panel along where the spot welds attach and use the remaining metal as an additional strengthening element?

I知 assuming I値l need to fabricate the patches for the area at the ends of the heater channels.

Thanks for your help!

Fen

Sure! Like Jimbo said, clean steel is THE secret to good welds! There was rust between the spot welds that I had to clean up. In metal work, it's clean twice, weld once. The metal needs to shine. Also the place you attach your grounding clamp also needs to shine.
Here's of pic of some of my first welds and the patches I had to make for that area. Seems to be a very common area for rust out from the rear wheel sandblasting it.

... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fenian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: Rear crossmember advice please Reply with quote

Thanks for the picture - very helpful for me.

I'm having some issues finding the spot welds - whoever did them must've been drunk - 'cos they are not in a straight line... and I don't want to grid that top piece of steel too thin in order to find them, as I'll have nothing to weld the cross members to Rolling Eyes I may have to add another section of steel to reinforce it...

Any chance you have a picture from the wheel well side of things? I'd love to see how the heater channel is supposed to be covered. At the moment it is just open to the air (and moisture).

Thanks again for your help!

Fen
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Rear crossmember advice please Reply with quote

Don't use a grinder to find the spot welds, use a wire wheel to remove the paint and not damage the metal.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Rear crossmember advice please Reply with quote

Fenian wrote:
Thanks for the picture - very helpful for me.

I'm having some issues finding the spot welds - whoever did them must've been drunk - 'cos they are not in a straight line... and I don't want to grid that top piece of steel too thin in order to find them, as I'll have nothing to weld the cross members to Rolling Eyes I may have to add another section of steel to reinforce it...

Any chance you have a picture from the wheel well side of things? I'd love to see how the heater channel is supposed to be covered. At the moment it is just open to the air (and moisture).

Thanks again for your help!

Fen

I used this slick bandfile mini belt sander to take off just enough paint to reveal the depressions of the spot welds since they sit lower than the rest of the surrounding metal.
https://www.harborfreight.com/53-amp-12-in-bandfile-belt-sander-62863.html

That's a strange little section where the ends of the heater channel mate up to the wheelhouse. It's called a Rear Wheel Splash Panel.
https://www.mtmfg.com/part/view/splash-panel-rear-...95+10+52+1

This was that area on my car:

Fenian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Rear crossmember advice please Reply with quote

Thanks, guys!

I have some 1mm sheet metal that i can hammer into submission for the rear-end splash panels. I should probably do those before the rear cross members to ensure I have good welds.

Cheers!

Fen
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: