Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The most boring build you ever watched... 1385cc
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: The most boring build you ever watched... 1385cc Reply with quote

just fitty mo bucks and just like that ive got all the parts to finish this build minus machine shop cost($75ish bucks).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I decided to go with a stock cam because cheater cams are out of stock and because i want to try out cb's stock grinds. although im not sure if they are the same as their stock eagle cams just minus the Parkerizing or whichever the coating they use is.

The only issue i can think of right now goes like this.

Im using a 6mm oil pump.
i have a 8mm full flow cover.
the stud spacing is different.
so i need an offset bushing.
if i make my own bushing, can this easily be done with a lathe by adjusting the head? or will i eff things up trying that?

thanks
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: The most boring build you ever watched... 1385cc Reply with quote

Nice parts Cool

The cover is just a cover, it doesnt need to line up with anything on the gears really, just needs to cover the hole so the pump can make pressure. If it was an 8mm pump on the 6mm studs you might have more to worry about, like if it got offset to one side it might interfere with how it engages with the cam slot. But you probably already knew that.

If you are asking if it will it screw up the lathe, I have no idea
Matthew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The most boring build you ever watched... 1385cc Reply with quote

I noticed that you have two sets of 32mm valves in the cart. Doesn’t the 40hp head use 32mm intakes and 30mm exhaust?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: The most boring build you ever watched... 1385cc Reply with quote

Matthew wrote:
I noticed that you have two sets of 32mm valves in the cart. Doesn’t the 40hp head use 32mm intakes and 30mm exhaust?

im having them tunred/ground down to the size i need. i think its 31.5 and 30mm
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: The most boring build you ever watched... 1385cc Reply with quote

If the 2280s have a long waiting, then take the next best, a W90 cam. That engine will need all the help it can get to breathe.
Or even better, a Pauter B4E7.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: The most boring build you ever watched... 1385cc Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
If the 2280s have a long waiting, then take the next best, a W90 cam. That engine will need all the help it can get to breathe.
Or even better, a Pauter B4E7.

That's an option too and I know web cam makes bad ass grinds and quality cams. I'm just trying not to go "crazy" although none fo the cams you listed were hot cams but I'm also limited to stock heater boxes and muffler. I will touch up a little of the ports and use 1.1 ratio rockers but other than that I want it to stay stockish.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: The most boring build you ever watched... 1385cc Reply with quote

A stock cam after all that work seems to me more of a compromise for sure! Find a CB2280 from a distributor of them, or go with one of Alstrup's suggestions. I can vouch for the 2280, I've used several and really like them. My favorite build ever used one.

https://vwparts.aircooled.net/Eagle-Type-1-Camshaft-Cheater-Cam-Grind-CB2280-p/cb2280.htm

https://www.piersideparts.net/CB2280.html

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: The most boring build you ever watched... 1385cc Reply with quote

What about, a german reground camshaft ground to w90 specs? Anything wrong with reground cams? Will the wear on the cam journals and lifter OD's be an issue?

The numbers seem to be a good match with these heads
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The most boring build you ever watched... 1385cc Reply with quote

From a reputable place, yeah. Just get matching lifters that are also reground, or I think the orange box stock brasilian ones from CB will work?

Ask the vendor you will order from what they recommend to match them.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: The most boring build you ever watched... 1385cc Reply with quote

I was looking at these. Still waiting for a reply on if he does any w90 grinds.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2378611
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The most boring build you ever watched... 1385cc Reply with quote

That might just be something he had reground then never used

You might be better off just finding some place with a w90 in stock or go with something else similar. There are lots of options, Dan Ruddock has something in stock called an 86+3 which is very mild, may be worth looking into, you could give him a call and see what he recommends.

I've heard that reground cams, especially ones that need welding, are not as durable as new quality peice.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The most boring build you ever watched... 1385cc Reply with quote

Good new everybody! Cheater cams are in stock again.

Bad new everybody! My daily driver needs even more money plus its time for me to upgrade from my current dirtbike, im honestly really sick of Chinese crap breaking and me bottoming out and breaking my back. Sooo im thinking a crf750? Shocked Very Happy JK. although an old BSA or 80s honda would be nice. However due to this, im only ordering bottom end parts. Crying or Very sad Smile

More good news! I found a machine shop near me that can grind the crank and resurface the flywheel.

Now the real question. are aftermarket cam gears "0" gears? the old timing gear from this engine was a "-1". so if new gears in in fact 0, then it shouldn't be an issue right?

Oh, and does anyone make full flow covers for 6mm stud patterns?

thanks
either that or i find a used cam with the correct backlash setting.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: The most boring build you ever watched... 1385cc Reply with quote

Probabaly won't be an issue since they were so close, but you'll want to check the backlash regardless. IIRC my original one was -1 and corroded, so I replaced it with a +1 and my lash ended up perfect. I think you can get aftermarket gears that are sized, but they may be harder to come by. You can also just drill out a used one in good condition that is -1 just to be safe, or later on if you have trouble with the aftermarket one. I've heard even ones that's are marked the same size aren't always exactly the same.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The most boring build you ever watched... 1385cc Reply with quote

From my understanding the cam gears are kind of whatever you get, sort of a machining tolerances lottery. Mine from CB fit well, but I hear good things from others here about the cam gears from mofoco. He has them made specific for him, may be worth a shot if you're nervous?

Sucks on the daily driver thing. Just sold my 96 civic with 300k on it. It was literally falling apart and needed a complete suspension rebuild. Picked up a really nice 07 jetta to replace it, and after two months it started overheating due to a sticking thermostat. Had the thing fixed but it was a logistical nightmare to work around for the few days it was in the shop. I had it done by someone else due to lack of time and lots of joint pain causing me issues lately, so it was a bit more money than I had hoped to spend, but I'm still into the car just a few thousand total so I'm not upset. Lovely car, that inline five engine is pretty strong and very responsive.

Still need to get my super in the garage Smile

modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The most boring build you ever watched... 1385cc Reply with quote

the way the full flow cover was ORIGINALLY DONE,
is weld or braze a nut to the stock steel cover, drill and tap for pipe thread.
you might say wait...the hole is coming out the back?
well yes, but you use a 90 degree fitting and aim it as needed.
I am sure there is a picture of that in the samba galleries, but have no idea how I'd be able to find it.

I like the idea of the aluminum cover better, you can make those too.
Or, you design it i make it.
Or, I design it, you make it. I'm flexible
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The most boring build you ever watched... 1385cc Reply with quote

modok wrote:
the way the full flow cover was ORIGINALLY DONE,
is weld or braze a nut to the stock steel cover, drill and tap for pipe thread.
you might say wait...the hole is coming out the back?
well yes, but you use a 90 degree fitting and aim it as needed.
I am sure there is a picture of that in the samba galleries, but have no idea how I'd be able to find it.

I like the idea of the aluminum cover better, you can make those too.
Or, you design it i make it.
Or, I design it, you make it. I'm flexible

sorry for the delay in response. I had seen it but waited until i had this;

So Aluminum is better right? If you dont mind sir, can you please explain why? and what type/grade should it be? I went with a more elaborate design, as for ive got a guy who has access to a building full of cnc machines. But i do appreciate the offer!

thanks
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:11 am    Post subject: Re: The most boring build you ever watched... 1385cc Reply with quote

I run a CB pump and cover, it does not use any gasket and it does not leak.
With steel, there is difference of expansion as it heats up and cools down, and you probably have to run a gasket to make it seal.

I have a CPS cover and that's pretty nice, but it's not perfect, it's kinda..... thin
They use 1" thick material, and 3/8 pipe thread....and that's ok... but it's not super thick around the pipe thread, probably .170 wall thickness around the pipe thread...... and that's enough to work but you might want to sand it flat AFTER installing the fitting in it, easy fix!
but it's anodized d'oh!
Tapered threads can generate a LOT of force and cause it to bulge out around the pipe fitting.
I notice CB hangs the pipe fitting off to the side of the pump a ways, so the the "bulge" is not hurting anything and that's clever. OR you may not really need 3/8 pipe thread, 1/4 can be adequate for smaller pumps at lower rpms. Really depends on the application, how much ROOM there is and if it has to clear the rear engine mount bar. I THINK you have all the room in the world in this case...nothing to hit.

The last time I made one, I remember I thought to myself.... next time I will make the main thickness .600 thick and the the "nut seats" countersunk .200 down (so .400 thick)
Or, could make it .500 thick and and countersink the the nuts .200, something like that. I see you ahve already done tht on the plan, tho less extreme.
starting with 1" thick material.... I just see no reason to reduce the thickness further than necessary. Ultimately it is the top studs & nuts which will hit the pulley tin if they stick out too far, so good to countersink the bolt seats and that gains you clearance, but really no reason to make thinner in-between the bolts. the weight savings is hardly worth it.
As you have designed it it looks beefy enough, but has no dimensions on the plan. And the plan could change once you price out material.
6061 or whatever common stuff they have should be fine. Stronger than oil pump itself.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: The most boring build you ever watched... 1385cc Reply with quote

i will make a blueprint 2marrow with dimensions however, right now the base plate is 13mm thick

'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The most boring build you ever watched... 1385cc Reply with quote

'66 RIP
'69 RIP
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: The most boring build you ever watched... 1385cc Reply with quote

Looks good!
I don't know what the 12mm hole is for. It does not have to be pipe thread, it could be any kind of fitting you want I suppose.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: