Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Electrical help
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
advinnie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:05 am    Post subject: Electrical help Reply with quote

Hi all, I have a 1971 Vw beetle which I’ve just brought. It has three aftermarket gauges. A rpm, oil temperature and oil pressure gauge. Now all three gauges work just fine BUT ever time I touch the break pedal all three gauges stop working and full back to zero until I take my foot of the brake pedal. Now the break lights are coming on when I touch the break pedal but as soon as they do the three gauges fail.
Any ideas on what’s going on?
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical help Reply with quote

From the trunk side of your dash, identify the ground (-) and power (+) wires running to your gauges. I'm guessing they will be in some way tied together (single ground wire and single power wire daisy-chained between all three?). Make sure the ground wire goes to a good ground point behind the dash. Make sure the electrical connection to this ground is clean and not corroded. Follow the power wire and make sure it goes to the fuse box and does not splice into another wire.

Find the harness of brake switch wires that runs towards the left front of the car. It will be the only harness of wires with a black/red wire. This black/red wire runs from the brake switches on the MC all the way to the rear of the car. There is a junction in the trunk but this wire should not connect to anything in the trunk. No wires should be spliced into it.
In the same harness of wires coming from the MC switches you should find a solid red wire. Solid red wires are normally constant 12v+ from the battery... all except for this single red wire which runs from the MC switches to the Brake Warning lamp in the dash. This wire should have no splices on its way to the Brake Warning Lamp.

One scenario that would make sense based on your symptoms... your gauges are grounded to the black/red brake light wire. While the brake lights are not ON, the gauges ground thru the rear brake light bulbs. When the brake pedal is pressed, the MC switches power the black/red wire and your gauges no longer have a path to ground so they stop working.

A common mistake when working on Beetles is to think black wires (black/red in this case?) are ground wires. Black wires on Beetles are part of the #15 ignition switched 12v+ circuit. They are powered by the ignition switch. They are never ground... unless someone used the wrong wire color.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
advinnie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical help Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply mate.
All three gauges take their 12v supply from the ignition live fuse connection, two of the gauges shear the same earth but the throes gauge has its own earth point. I’ve removed all the gauge earths from the earth point behind the dash and earthed them all to a door hinge screw just to see what would happen. Doing this hasn’t change anything, still all gauges work until the break pedal is touched. Could I have a positive supply going to earth when the break lights come on sending a +12 v to the earths of the gauges ?
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical help Reply with quote

advinnie wrote:
All three gauges take their 12v supply from the ignition live fuse connection

Can you be more specific? Which fuse powers your gauges? Are you tapping power from the INPUT side of the fuse or the OUTPUT side? Are the gauges using their own inline fuse or are they depending on the fuse box fuse?
Depending on your fuse box (10-fuse or 12-fuse) your brake lights may be powered by the #2 fuse (10-fuse) or the #10 fuse (12-fuse). Is this brake light fuse the same fuse powering your gauges? If it is, try moving the gauge power wire to one of the other fuses.
As a test, move it to one of the fuses with the red wires. This is a constant 12v+ power source.

Additionally, you should place a voltmeter on the brake lamp fuse and test for the voltage level (ignition switch ON) before you press on the brake pedal and while you press the pedal. A small voltage drop (-0.5v) at the fuse is normal, but more than a 1 or 2-volt drop is significant. Unless the starter is cranking the engine you should not see the voltage at the fuse box drop below 12.0v.
Consider your gauges. Are they very sensitive to voltage drop? Mechanical gauges are likely more tolerant to low voltages. The original VW electronics are almost all analog and less sensitive to voltage drops. Digital gauges on the other hand may completely stop working if the voltage drops below say 11.0v. Test for this and see if your gauges are failing because the voltage levels drop too low.

advinnie wrote:
Could I have a positive supply going to earth when the break lights come on sending a +12 v to the earths of the gauges ?

Unlikely, but possible. Though, if you are running the proper size fuses (8A or 16A) a direct short to ground will blow the fuse.
What size fuse are you running for your brake lights? It should be a white 8A fuse for the brake lights and horn. In '71, at most two (2) fuses in the fuse box should be a red 16A fuse (fuse #9 and #11). The rest should be white 8A fuses. Can you post a pic of the fuses installed in your fuse box and the trunk side of your fuse box with a close up of the brake light fuse wires.

My initial guess is that your may be suffering a low voltage issue. Not uncommon for 40yr old wires. Your volt meter will confirm this.
You could spend some time cleaning up wire connections to reduce resistance to current flow. Start from the battery and work your way to the fuse box and ignition switch. Wire brush or sandpaper all connections until they are shinny.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
advinnie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical help Reply with quote

I will get back to you with answers to your questions tomorrow mate when I’m back at the car.
And thanks you for your help 👍
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: