Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Heater Box Shells?
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
carguytroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:06 am    Post subject: Heater Box Shells? Reply with quote

Is there any place that sells the outer shells/sheet metal for heater boxes. I have a small hole in one. The metal looks to be pretty thin in the surrounding 3” area Around the hole. I can weld it up but I was curious if someone made those. Yet.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bhartwell59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Heater Box Shells? Reply with quote

The shells? Not that I'm aware of.

Jump on the classifieds and try to find a used heater box... that's what I needed to do. The outer shell was pretty wasted.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
carguytroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Heater Box Shells? Reply with quote

That’s the only bad spot. Just went out and checked them over. The other one is in great shape. I have a TIG and a Mig, but thinking maybe just JB Weld and move on. Anyone have any experience with JB Weld? I’ve personally never used used but I know people use it for all sorts of things.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Heater Box Shells? Reply with quote

carguytroy wrote:
That’s the only bad spot. Just went out and checked them over. The other one is in great shape. I have a TIG and a Mig, but thinking maybe just JB Weld and move on. Anyone have any experience with JB Weld? I’ve personally never used used but I know people use it for all sorts of things.

If you clean up the area well it works great. I’ve used it to patch pin holes in gas tanks over the years.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
1973 Ghia convertible
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater Box Shells? Reply with quote

That is a natural wear spot due to the inner pipe casting rubbing up against that area. Especially if the area of sheet metal around the forward hole that the front end of the exhaust pipe is worn open.

Repair and use a high zinc content primer AKA cold galvanizing primer.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: