Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Beetle VIN / Chassis Numbers Chart Question....
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
justbs549
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:02 am    Post subject: Beetle VIN / Chassis Numbers Chart Question.... Reply with quote

So I'm looking at pictures of a 58 Beetle, body stamping (under VIN tag) of 172737, and engine stamping of 2192034.

If I'm looking at the Beetle VIN / Chassis Numbers chart correctly (first time, so I may well be wrong), it rolled off the line in Dec 1957, but with an engine from Jan 1958???

Is that correct, and if so, does it mean that this is not the original engine in the VW?

Thanks in advance
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle VIN / Chassis Numbers Chart Question.... Reply with quote

justbs549 wrote:
So I'm looking at pictures of a 58 Beetle, body stamping (under VIN tag) of 172737, and engine stamping of 2192034.

That is interesting, and I wonder if the body might have sat for a bit during holidays? What does the VIN say? As a side question, what is the date on the speedometer?
ISO Albuquerque "Imported Motors" dealership paraphernalia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
justbs549
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle VIN / Chassis Numbers Chart Question.... Reply with quote

The VIN is hard to read from the pics, but looks like 343776 ?

No pic of the speedo
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle VIN / Chassis Numbers Chart Question.... Reply with quote

It’s totally possible that the parts were made at different times. Remember the VIN number is for the pan assembly minus the body. If there are any shortages of one or another body part it cannot be assembled. Same for the engine. How quickly were they casting the blocks?

In my case the engine number and body were a few weeks apart as well.

However the only sure way to know is to get a birth certificate but chances are because the manufacturing dates are pretty close I’d bet it’s original.
justbs549
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle VIN / Chassis Numbers Chart Question.... Reply with quote

viiking wrote:
It’s totally possible that the parts were made at different times. Remember the VIN number is for the pan assembly minus the body. If there are any shortages of one or another body part it cannot be assembled. Same for the engine. How quickly were they casting the blocks?

In my case the engine number and body were a few weeks apart as well.

However the only sure way to know is to get a birth certificate but chances are because the manufacturing dates are pretty close I’d bet it’s original.

Thanks for the info guys!
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle VIN / Chassis Numbers Chart Question.... Reply with quote

I think VW was still running cars on a dynamometer at the end of the production line. To keep output moving, a failing car might be put aside and a newer motor substituted a short time later. Just speculating.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle VIN / Chassis Numbers Chart Question.... Reply with quote

justbs549 wrote:

If I'm looking at the Beetle VIN / Chassis Numbers chart correctly (first time, so I may well be wrong), it rolled off the line in Dec 1957, but with an engine from Jan 1958???

Is that correct, and if so, does it mean that this is not the original engine in the VW?

Thanks in advance

It would be better to compare the VIN and Engine # but this seems reasonable.

If the numbers are near the month break, I have definitely seen a VIN # from one month and an engine number from the next month.

Your body # is near the end of 12/1957
Your engine # is right near the start of 1/1958

I would say it's the original engine.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
justbs549
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle VIN / Chassis Numbers Chart Question.... Reply with quote

Thanks again all !

Y'all been a big help, as usual!

(The folks on The Samba rock it!!)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: