Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Factory oil cooler question.
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark 75 Super Convertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:34 pm    Post subject: Factory oil cooler question. Reply with quote

Does the factory oil cooler ever go bad? Should they ever be replaced, just because the motor is 50 plus years old? I got my Bug started this weekend for the first time in 29 years. The oil light went out when I was cranking it, and it never came back on while it was running, so I'm hoping the motor is ok. I'm just being careful, and I don't mind spending the money (WW has one for $129 I think) if anyone thinks it's a good idea, or a waste of money.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Factory oil cooler question. Reply with quote

They do go bad. Seen many. Typically get clogged up with gunk. It never cleans out, so best bet is to get a new one.

Good to hear you got it running!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
bilbo939
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:03 am    Post subject: Re: Factory oil cooler question. Reply with quote

They sit at the top of the oiling system, so a sitting motor the oil will have drained mostly out maybe saving it from gunking, but in operation they gunk up and are impossible to clean, get pinhole leaks which only open when warm. It's good insurance to replace with a good quality new unit. These old girls rely heavily on their oil for cooling so for peace of mind its worth it.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: Factory oil cooler question. Reply with quote

I am not in the habit of replacing perfectly good parts. Leave it alone and worry about something else.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Factory oil cooler question. Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
They do go bad. Seen many. Typically get clogged up with gunk. It never cleans out, so best bet is to get a new one.

Good to hear you got it running!
Thanks, I was really happy! Does that cooler just bolt on? From the WW pictures it looks like it just sits on top of the case, with of course an inlet and outlet for the oil after it goes through the cooler. I don't have to open the case to install that do I?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Factory oil cooler question. Reply with quote

Mark 75 Super Convertible wrote:
Does that cooler just bolt on? From the WW pictures it looks like it just sits on top of the case, with of course an inlet and outlet for the oil after it goes through the cooler. I don't have to open the case to install that do I?

No - one does not open the case to replace an oil cooler. A late case has 2 holes for two studs from the doghouse cooler adapter to pass through, then secured by 8mm x 1.25mm nuts on those, and a similar nut on a stud protruding up from the case. So a doghouse cooler needs 4 seals.

And 1970 and earlier cooler mounts directly to the case, no adapter. Earlier than 1970 use 6mm x 1.0mm mounts though.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Michael Ambrozik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Factory oil cooler question. Reply with quote

If you do replace the oil cooler you will need to drop the engine as it will be easier to remove the doghouse to remove the cooler. I have done it with the engine in the car but you need to remove the hood, the hinge brackets, and anything in the way, and if the flaps are still in the doghouse/shroud well good luck. makes the job hard.
infiniteLoop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Factory oil cooler question. Reply with quote

As far as you know, you have a good oil cooler. Synthetic oil should keep it clean.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Factory oil cooler question. Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Mark 75 Super Convertible wrote:
Does that cooler just bolt on? From the WW pictures it looks like it just sits on top of the case, with of course an inlet and outlet for the oil after it goes through the cooler. I don't have to open the case to install that do I?

No - one does not open the case to replace an oil cooler. A late case has 2 holes for two studs from the doghouse cooler adapter to pass through, then secured by 8mm x 1.25mm nuts on those, and a similar nut on a stud protruding up from the case. So a doghouse cooler needs 4 seals.

And 1970 and earlier cooler mounts directly to the case, no adapter. Earlier than 1970 use 6mm x 1.0mm mounts though.
Ok, thank you.
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Factory oil cooler question. Reply with quote

Cusser is right about the originally fitted oil cooler dimensions BUT be aware that a different oil cooler may have been fitted after market and these MAY have what they call adapter oil seals. You’ll see some of these for sale.

However it is more likely that you do have what he said. Just be aware.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Factory oil cooler question. Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
I am not in the habit of replacing perfectly good parts. Leave it alone and worry about something else.

I’m still working from a stash of good used from 25 years ago. We were smart enough to clean them out using MEK and parts washer. If they cleaned out and held pressure we cleaned and combed the fins if needed. There was a belief type 4 cooler gave some extra cooling power but I’ve seen many big 2000 and larger cc using a stock type 1 doghouse cooler. Make the extra effort to install the Hoover bit, the foam seal and all the rubber seals as needed.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Look they are date coded.

Shine a light make sure it’s clean so air can get through it. You can comb out fins carefully using a pick.

Last edited by Zundfolge1432 on Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Factory oil cooler question. Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
There was a belief type 4 cooler gave some extra cooling power but I’ve seen many big 2000 and larger cc using a stock type 1 doghouse cooler. Make the extra effort to install the Hoover bit, the foam seal and all the rubber seals as needed.

That's what I did.. stock T1 oil cooler on a 2180... works just fine.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Factory oil cooler question. Reply with quote

It’s what I have as well! 2127 spinning 7500 rpms! Flys like a bat out of hell and runs cooler than my stock 1600! Go figure. I did do the Hoover mods to my case and lifters! But, I do have low pressure issues at idle, fully warmed up! Go figure!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: