Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tire pressure and Spare questions
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neurich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:44 pm    Post subject: Tire pressure and Spare questions Reply with quote

Newish owner of a 1995 Eurovan with lift kit and 16" tires. These are the Yokohama Geolander 235 60R-16. The max pressure for these tires is 51psi. What is the "ideal" pressure for travel?

Also, I know this is probably a ridiculous question but I can't find the answer anywhere. How do you lower the spare tire? It's not in the vehicle manual that I have and I can't seem to find it anywhere online.

Thanks for any help.
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Tire pressure and Spare questions Reply with quote

There should be a sticker on the inside driver's door jam that states the recommended tire pressure. Is yours a van or camper. Pretty sure they are different. I have found that this pressure is 1-largly dependent on load, and 2-reccomended is not always best.

One way to determine the correct pressure is with some masking tape or an infrared thermometer. The idea is that an over inflated tire will "ball out" causing the center to wear out faster. An under inflated tire will cup and cause the edges of the tire to wear out faster. Put a strip of tape across the tire. Drive around a little couple of hundred feet in a straight line. Examine the tape for wear pattern. Adjust pressure accordingly and try again. Same thing can be done by taking several temp reading across the face/width of the tire. Higher temp=great wear.

Our 2002 camper gives rating for fully loaded and empty. With the 225/75r16XL tires fully loaded the pressure recommendation is 39/44, rear/front. I think that the rear is slightly low.

Your van will likely be different due to the different tire size.
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Tire pressure and Spare questions Reply with quote

Neurich wrote:

Also, I know this is probably a ridiculous question but I can't find the answer anywhere. How do you lower the spare tire? It's not in the vehicle manual that I have and I can't seem to find it anywhere online.

Thanks for any help.

On the spare tire carrier there are 2 bolts. Same size as the stock lugnuts so you can use the stock lug wrench. One bolt comes out all the way. THe other bolt is "captured". Loosen both bolts. Lift and slide the carrier over so the bolt head will fit the enlarged portion and the allow the carrier to drop.
Neurich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Tire pressure and Spare questions Reply with quote

Thanks MrPulldown. Since this vehicle originally came with 15" tires I wasn't sure that the sticker on the door was applicable. I think GoWesty recommends about 75-80% of max psi for these tires, so between 38-41 and I have been running them at 40.

Thanks for the info on the spare tire removal. I was hoping there was some secret lowering mechanism like on some vehicles where they are cranked down that I was just missing. One can dream.
Neurich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Tire pressure and Spare questions Reply with quote

Excellent idea on the masking tape. I'll give that a try.
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire pressure and Spare questions Reply with quote

Well on my 93 owners manual it says to use the lug wrench in the carrier slot to lower. Or raise the carrier
After loosing and removing one bolt The whole thing is very Micky Mouse what a joke...My tire spare was a 15" but a 205 instead of a 195 ⁰&doesn't even fit right and started to smolder .scary I got the fire out and put the spare in the back on floor...What a discrace If I find a decent swing hindged rear rack I think I'll do that,but I'm not paying $150 yuppie price for one either. Recycled.... On my bay Westy it's in front w a $10 rack..My love for progress probably shows. Where the hell is the choke nob?? Be safe every one.

.Bill in PR
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Tire pressure and Spare questions Reply with quote

volkybus wrote:
Well on my 93 owners manual it says to use the lug wrench in the carrier slot to lower. Or raise the carrier

.Bill in PR

You mean like a lever arm. humm. I'll have to give that a try. It is a real PITA to try to raise the spare/carrier and thread that bolt in. In fact I really bungled up the threads of one of the bolts.
smores
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire pressure and Spare questions Reply with quote

Here's the owner's manual official method.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: Tire pressure and Spare questions Reply with quote

I think someone removed Bolt B and buggered the threads doing that...
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire pressure and Spare questions Reply with quote

Yup the whole thing is a bad joke like the rest of these Eurovan s.. There is several reasons they no longer sell them here. The longer you own it the more reasons you' ll find and one day you'll past it to the next poor sucker like me and you. They are somewhat dependable though and usually get you home if you don't go too far away. I call mine a two town van .maybe three towns away..that's all went in The last 4 years..Good luck You'll need it. Bill in PR til I get back to my Westy Bay(a real bus)
In Vt
.l
smores
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire pressure and Spare questions Reply with quote

volkybus wrote:
Yup the whole thing is a bad joke like the rest of these Eurovan s.. There is several reasons they no longer sell them here. The longer you own it the more reasons you' ll find and one day you'll past it to the next poor sucker like me and you. They are somewhat dependable though and usually get you home if you don't go too far away. I call mine a two town van .maybe three towns away..that's all went in The last 4 years..Good luck You'll need it. Bill in PR til I get back to my Westy Bay(a real bus)
In Vt
.l

Dang dude. I've owned air cooled too and don't have quite that same impression of the EV. It seems quite a well engineered piece of machinery. The spare tire retainer is all it needs to be and works quite well IMHO. The AAF engine is an incredible marvel of flat torque curve, if not terribly powerful.

I've seen some other very negative comments about EVs from you in other threads. Maybe just sell yours and go back to the air cooled section.
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Tire pressure and Spare questions Reply with quote

Well s'mores You got me but I'm a subborn old fart who refused to give up. on this Eurovan, so I keep patching it up a
And learning about it and your right it is a marvelous piece of enenergering(sp) but it is what it is.. The problem with air-cooled is they are all so old now and worth much less then they're asking.. So I piss and moan but I've owned it for 4 years now. It's my island backup car for winter. I do own 2 air cooled Vws a 76 Westy and 73 181, up North
Good Luck ,Bill in Puerto Rico for now.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Tire pressure and Spare questions Reply with quote

volkybus wrote:
Well s'mores You got me but I'm a subborn old fart who refused to give up. on this Eurovan, so I keep patching it up a
And learning about it and your right it is a marvelous piece of enenergering(sp) but it is what it is.. The problem with air-cooled is they are all so old now and worth much less then they're asking.. So I piss and moan but I've owned it for 4 years now. It's my island backup car for winter. I do own 2 air cooled Vws a 76 Westy and 73 181, up North

Lets go have a nap, then watch 'Matlock'
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Tire pressure and Spare questions Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
volkybus wrote:

Lets go have a nap, then watch 'Matlock'

Golden girls
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: