Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Evan’s Garage Built Rod: The Birth of a 2180cc Street Machine
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Evan’s Garage Built Rod: The Birth of a 2180cc Street Machine Reply with quote

I love this sort of thread , I'f you don't have it , make it . To me this is what custom work is all about . Doesn't have to be mega bucks ,just a bit of hard work and attention to detail . great stuff !!

A type 4 DTM shroud and bits was going to cost $2000 Aussie dollars by the time I imported it , so I designed and made my own centre mount , centred shroud . the cost was a lot of time but not a big out lay . just some timber and fibreglass .
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Evan’s Garage Built Rod: The Birth of a 2180cc Street Machine Reply with quote

Wreck wrote:
I love this sort of thread , I'f you don't have it , make it . To me this is what custom work is all about . Doesn't have to be mega bucks ,just a bit of hard work and attention to detail . great stuff !!

Thanks ! I really appreciate the feedback, it means a lot.

You are spot on, that is exactly what this build is about: resourcefulness and creativity. It's not so much just saving money, but there is a certain satisfaction with making your own custom parts from scratch. Not only do you save money but you end up with something that is unique and your own.

Its like the age old saying ---

If you want something done right... well, then your just gonna have to do if yourself!!!

Very Happy
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:46 am    Post subject: Re: Evan’s Garage Built Rod: The Birth of a 2180cc Street Machine Reply with quote

Very nicely done and documented.
The OE+ style breather looks fantastic, what is the finish on it?
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Evan’s Garage Built Rod: The Birth of a 2180cc Street Machine Reply with quote

UK Luke 72 wrote:
Very nicely done and documented.
The OE+ style breather looks fantastic, what is the finish on it?

Thanks! It's a satin black 2k urethane paint. I'm about to cover the procces of painting tins and various accessories.
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Evan’s Garage Built Rod: The Birth of a 2180cc Street Machine Reply with quote

I have a few quick updates.

I still need to find time to upload more pictures, lol.

I just began to tear into the used swap meet carb bundle I picked up when I was just getting started on this build. At this point I have the 45 DRLA's apart and am in the process of ordering parts I need. The plan with them is clean, rebuild, replace throttle shaft bearings, and change the jetting. Someone also put some very odd short velcity stacks on these carbs which are kind of a mystery. Rick (Mcdragracer) will be providing me with the parts and has given me some helpful advice so far. Thanks!

I have pretty much completed the fabrication of custom exhaust and peashooter muffler (w/ modified sidewinder header.) I just ordered a titanium colored ceramic coating from a company called Cerakote which I am going to apply to all exhaust conponents myself. https://www.cerakote.com/shop/cerakote-coating/C-7900/cerakote-glacier-titanium

It's been extremely and constantly windy here for the last couple months and seems like it's never going to end. I decided to modify my fan shroud further and then had to repaint it yet again. The wind it makes it very hard to keep dust out of fresh paint and I don't have a spray booth or sealed garage to paint in at home. It turned out pretty well given the circumstances.

Things toward the flywheel end of the crank did not go super smoothly, but all is well now. That was a relief... there was a brief scare where I thought I might have damaged my crank threads but thankfully I did not. Gland nut went in nice and smooth and is currently torqued to 350 foot pounds with my giant proto click torque wrench (and w/ a large helping of loctite 640 retaining compound on threads as per the Berg instructions.) Before all that I also managed to miscalculate my endplay and then had to pull the main seal back off to replace the shims with thinner ones. Luckily I ended up at a perfect .0031" with no funny business.

More on all that to come
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Evan’s Garage Built Rod: The Birth of a 2180cc Street Machine Reply with quote

I got a little ahead of myself Laughing Here are the pictures from the case assembly which pretty much speak for themselves. On the case mating surface I used a combination of Threebond 1184 (around perimeter) and good ol'fashion aviation sealer (just on the bearing web areas.) I also used the Threebond on the case head studs, underneath the main stud washers, cam plug, and under a couple of the case studs that are known to leak, the one's back down toward the flywheel area. I used a combination of both paste and syrup like assembly lubes accordingly. Each case nut got a flat washer, then a wavy washer, then a regular M8 nut (I'm pretending my garage is the Wolfsburg factory, LOL!)

Polished the tops of the lifters on the bench just to knock off any sharp edges from the factory grinding/machining marks

I checked the oil pump housing to cam bolt clearance with a zip tie which is the proper thickness (0.04-.06") Bingo!

I didn't forget that darn slinger...

Cam dots lined up, I'm on a roll now Applause

And those grooved cam bearings... I just couldn't help myself Cool

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Another oil hole mod close up

evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Evan’s Garage Built Rod: The Birth of a 2180cc Street Machine Reply with quote

Gapping those shitty AA rings Cool

I gapped them all to 0.014"

Using upside down piston with the ring installed to get it square in the bore for accurate measurement. It wont be even close to accurate if you put it crooked or freehand.

This one was too tight and needed some minor filing

And then I "honed" the cylinders using some oil and a round foam block wrapped in 400 grit sandpaper. The word hone in question marks because this simply was a very minor surface prep measure. although I did follow the crosshatch pattern, the goal was only really to knock off any sharp or excessively sharp peaks from the potentially rough factory hone job, not actually give it a full new hone, if that makes sense. Then I cleaned extremely well with nylon brushes, more clean oil and lots of solvent. Before and after pics.

Next top end overhaul I plan to get AA's again, but use Grant rings instead of these ones Wink However, I'm not too worried about these for now.
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Evan’s Garage Built Rod: The Birth of a 2180cc Street Machine Reply with quote

Getting the pushrod tubes installed. I used a special type of soft silicone O-Ring. These are softer and thicker than the ones CB sells (CB's are regular 70D hardness and 3/16" thick, where as the ones I am using are 50D and 1/8" thick) Here's the link to the better O-rings https://www.mcmaster.com/1173N212/ I'm using the stainless windage racing pushrod tubes from CB and the side that fits into the head has a larger OD snout than stock. The normal white Elring seals squeeze onto the larger end, BUT they are a very tight fit. I did not like the idea of the seal being compressed and stressed or tensioned before it's even doing it's job. So yes, the stock seals will "fit," but I decided there is room for improvement. Also, do NOT forget those cylinder air deflectors that clip into the head studs. Pictured on the right

Air deflector cylinder tins

Make sure to clean well with some degreaser or solvent and a tube brush. Before this, when I stuck my finger in one it came out all covered in a black oily soot. Like most parts, they DO NOT come from the factory clean, even though the outside looks all nice and shiny.

Looking good! My new experimental seals fit well Cool

modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:30 am    Post subject: Re: Evan’s Garage Built Rod: The Birth of a 2180cc Street Machine Reply with quote

i like your solution with the larger o-rings.
CB supplied ones might be type-4 o-rings
If I am allowed to be picky I would say o-rings should not need sealant, and 518 has cure problems on stainless
But probably going to work.
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Evan’s Garage Built Rod: The Birth of a 2180cc Street Machine Reply with quote

modok wrote:
i like your solution with the larger o-rings.
CB supplied ones might be type-4 o-rings
If I am allowed to be picky I would say o-rings should not need sealant, and 518 has cure problems on stainless
But probably going to work.

Thanks! And yes feel free to be picky

I was a little unsure about using the 518 there, we will hope she does well. I only used it on white seals on the case side incase that isn't clear.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Evan’s Garage Built Rod: The Birth of a 2180cc Street Machine Reply with quote

What did you seal the case halves with?
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Evan’s Garage Built Rod: The Birth of a 2180cc Street Machine Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
What did you seal the case halves with?

Very thin coat of Threebond 1184 around perimeter and then 3M Avaition sealer around the bearing webs.

I also used the Threebond around the cylinder bases and on the head studs threads (the case savers are thru holes and will leak without a good sealant)

Threebond 1184 is also sold under the name HondaBond and YamaBond, etc. Same products.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Evan’s Garage Built Rod: The Birth of a 2180cc Street Machine Reply with quote

FYI-you can use the regular white pushrod tube seals on both ends of the CB big mouth pushrod tube. You don't need to use o-rings.
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Evan’s Garage Built Rod: The Birth of a 2180cc Street Machine Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
FYI-you can use the regular white pushrod tube seals on both ends of the CB big mouth pushrod tube. You don't need to use o-rings.

I know but I decided these will be better. I explained in the earlier post that these are "not needed" per say, but they fit better and I have a hunch they will seal perfectly Wink

They are an improvement over what is available IMO. Fairly cheap too.

When rubber/silicone gets tensioned it sacrafises some of is "give" or compressabilty. The shape even changes. Therefor, when the white seal gets stretched over a larger end than it is made for it wont "squish down" or compress properly. Basically, it wont be as durable or seal as well in theory.

These ones are big, nice and soft, fill the space well, and are high temp silicone rated to 450⁰F
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Evan’s Garage Built Rod: The Birth of a 2180cc Street Machine Reply with quote

evanfrucht wrote:

Sorry for going back to the beginning...

I was looking back through your build thread after you posted in another thread about your Hoover oil mod, and I see that you used 36hp cam gears. There are various threads here on The Samba that have some saying they don’t line up like the standard 1600 gears, while others have no issues at all. From your above pic, it looks like the gears line up well. Did you ever do a mock up with the flywheel to see if the gears were still aligned well?

It looks like everything is coming along great!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Evan’s Garage Built Rod: The Birth of a 2180cc Street Machine Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:

Sorry for going back to the beginning...

I was looking back through your build thread after you posted in another thread about your Hoover oil mod, and I see that you used 36hp cam gears. There are various threads here on The Samba that have some saying they don’t line up like the standard 1600 gears, while others have no issues at all. From your above pic, it looks like the gears line up well. Did you ever do a mock up with the flywheel to see if the gears were still aligned well?

It looks like everything is coming along great!

No worries! Yep, I kept it old school with the 36hp cam gears and my cam isn't super radical so I didn't feel the need for straight cuts anyway.

Not sure what some people are saying about them not lining up right... I had heard stories along the lines of "that's what hot rodders used before straight cuts were available" and liked the idea. I figured the gears are the same width... should work. Normally I overthink stuff but for some reason this I didn't. I ordered a whole 36hp cam on Ebay as well as a crank gear from a Samba member here. The cam cost me 20 bucks and the small gear was 10. I think I got a good deal Cool I just pretended they were 1600 gears... lol. But ya they lined up good, I checked backlash and it was perfectly in spec. I think I even lucky with that first size I tried which was +1 (my old one in the case was a -1)

And thanks! Looks like I may have a runner on my hands Blue Bug
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Evan’s Garage Built Rod: The Birth of a 2180cc Street Machine Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply. After driving a 67 Beetle I recently bought for a while with straight cuts, and some additional trans mounting, I didn’t think it made that much racket. I then started driving a 74 Super I have with helical gears, and I couldn’t believe the noise difference. The Super is due for an upgrade. I was thinking of staying with helical gears, and was looking into the 36hp gears. I think Glenn Ring’s 2180 uses helical gears with a FK-8, and standard dual springs. Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Evan’s Garage Built Rod: The Birth of a 2180cc Street Machine Reply with quote

Looking at the last few pages pictures again, did you swap out the grooved oil relief piston? Dual relief cases use the solid piston in both positions. The grooved piston is for single relief cases
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Evan’s Garage Built Rod: The Birth of a 2180cc Street Machine Reply with quote

evanfrucht wrote:

And thanks! Looks like I may have a runner on my hands Blue Bug

evanfrucht wrote:

Looks like a runner to me! Ready to bolt up. Just stick your fuel hose into the block and fire her up already!!! Laughing

Laughing
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Evan’s Garage Built Rod: The Birth of a 2180cc Street Machine Reply with quote

Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 15

Jump to: