Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

For those that have used 1.25 rocker arms on stock width engine
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Junkyardjockey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:36 am    Post subject: For those that have used 1.25 rocker arms on stock width engine Reply with quote

I really would like to know what your pushrod measurement came out to be, because the stock length pushrods are not going to work! I would really appreciate an honest answer; not any snide remarks. If you need the specs on the cam I have, here they are:

Adv. Duration 274°
Dur. @ .050" 224°
Lift @ cam .357"
Lift w/1.1:1 Rocker Arms .393"

It would be greatly appreciated if you made a note of this somewhere when you built your engine; that would help immensely! If you need any other specs on my build, please let me know. I'm just hoping that someone else uses these same rocker arms & wrote it all down. Thanks in advance!
2022 Subaru Outback Limited XT in crystal white pearl
2022 Subaru Outback Limited XT in cinnamon brown pearl
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GARRICK.CLARK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: For those that have used 1.25 rocker arms on stock width engine Reply with quote

All engines are different. With different fly cut heads, cylinder length etc. Youll need a n adjustable push rod to get an idea of the length of rod needed.
Junkyardjockey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: For those that have used 1.25 rocker arms on stock width engine Reply with quote

GARRICK.CLARK wrote:
All engines are different. With different fly cut heads, cylinder length etc. Youll need a n adjustable push rod to get an idea of the length of rod needed.

I just ordered Gene Berg's adj pushrod tool. This one seems to be the best available. Part # GB 420. While it requires me to take off one head & pushrod tube to make the adjustments, I feel this is the way to go. Thank you sir for your reply!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: For those that have used 1.25 rocker arms on stock width engine Reply with quote

It is impossible to know what your length will be.

I could build the same engine with the same cam, and I might end up with a different length. Way to many different heads, cylinders, flycut depths, etc...

Only way to do it correctly is to mock it all up, learn how to do the geometry and measure YOUR engine with YOUR parts.

Brian
Junkyardjockey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: For those that have used 1.25 rocker arms on stock width engine Reply with quote

GARRICK.CLARK wrote:

BTW sir the gentleman who answered the phone at Gene Berg is from the south of London! Cheers!
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: For those that have used 1.25 rocker arms on stock width engine Reply with quote

That looks to be a 2280 cam (could be wrong though.)
But, if everything is stock apart from the cam, you should be able to get decent valve train geometry by simply adding 0,030 or 0,060" shims under the rocker arms.
Junkyardjockey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: For those that have used 1.25 rocker arms on stock width engine Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
That looks to be a 2280 cam (could be wrong though.)
But, if everything is stock apart from the cam, you should be able to get decent valve train geometry by simply adding 0,030 or 0,060" shims under the rocker arms.

the cam is CB's 2228 sir.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: For those that have used 1.25 rocker arms on stock width engine Reply with quote

Junkyardjockey wrote:
not any snide remarks. ..................................I'm just hoping that someone else uses these same rocker arms & wrote it all down. Thanks in advance!

But you didn't say what kind of rockers you have Brick wall
ANd nobody else asked?

I can't think of much alternative to snide remarks bud, you guys are all begging for it.
Best I can do is try to have a sense of humor.
Junkyardjockey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: For those that have used 1.25 rocker arms on stock width engine Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Junkyardjockey wrote:
not any snide remarks. ..................................I'm just hoping that someone else uses these same rocker arms & wrote it all down. Thanks in advance!

ANd nobody else asked?

I can't think of much alternative to snide remarks bud, you guys are all begging for it.

I DID mention I have 1.25 rockers; unless you mean where I got them from. In that case, CB Perf.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: For those that have used 1.25 rocker arms on stock width engine Reply with quote

Modok has a point Embarassed I assumed you have VW style 1,25 rockers.
The 2228 will not change anything in that direction over the 2280.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: For those that have used 1.25 rocker arms on stock width engine Reply with quote

Junkyardjockey wrote:
modok wrote:
Junkyardjockey wrote:

ANd nobody else asked?

I DID mention I have 1.25 rockers; unless you mean where I got them from. In that case, CB Perf.

They make 2 different styles of 1.25 rockers and they each use different length push rods.

You have rockers with the adjuster on the valve side and rockers with the adjuster on the push rod side.

To add more factors you also have needle bearing rockers and roller tip rockers.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Junkyardjockey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: For those that have used 1.25 rocker arms on stock width engine Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
Junkyardjockey wrote:
modok wrote:
Junkyardjockey wrote:

ANd nobody else asked?

They make 2 different styles of 1.25 rockers and they each use different length push rods.

You have rockers with the adjuster on the valve side and rockers with the adjuster on the push rod side.

ok thanks sir! mine have the adjusters on the valve side. I have never seen them on the pushrod side.
GARRICK.CLARK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: For those that have used 1.25 rocker arms on stock width engine Reply with quote

You want the closed valve rocker angle at TDC to look like the full lift rocker angle. Half lift makes the valve and the valve adjusting screw look like a straight line.

At full lift.. check if the push rods are touching the push rod tubes. Check all 8.

Check the contact point of the tappet adjusting screw, (swivel feet/elephants foot or similar) against the valve tip. Paint some Stuarts Blue on the valve stem tips, the contact point will wipe some of the blue off the valve tip. This needs to be right along with the geometry.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: For those that have used 1.25 rocker arms on stock width engine Reply with quote

I see currently CB sells only one kind of rocker with that ratio, at the moment, but in the past they have sold many kinds
These right? https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/1692.htm

I have used these side by side with stock rocker arms.
They can use the same pushrod length if "all else" is the same.
So you must have some different parts in your all else than before.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: