Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Maximum speed.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Maximum speed. Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
If you're engine is properly tuned and your AF ratio is spot on and your timing is good, you can floor these engines all day. Just make sure your Oil temp is good, CHT is good, and know the faster your engine spins the more wear you get on your bearings and valve train. I run my engine @ 3800-4200rpm on the motorway. 65-72ish. If you've ever been to Detroit, you'll understand why I choose to accept the wear on the engine instead of slowing down.

I know that all too well. Just did it this morning 65 in the slow lane in the 59 with a 1600 mystery motor. On some of the freeways here the price of admission can be 90+, those times are good for the surface roads.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Maximum speed. Reply with quote

ToolBox wrote:
Spike0180 wrote:
…I run my engine @ 3800-4200rpm on the motorway. 65-72ish. If you've ever been to Detroit, you'll understand why I choose to accept the wear on the engine instead of slowing down.

Just did it this morning 65 in the slow lane in the 59 with a 1600 mystery motor. On some of the freeways here the price of admission can be 90+, those times are good for the surface roads.

Yes, Detroit, Los Angeles, Montana, and Sacramento are cities where I'm glad the Stock engines can do this for brief spurts between slower cruises:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: Maximum speed. Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
If you're engine is properly tuned and your AF ratio is spot on and your timing is good, you can floor these engines all day.

With respect, this is bad advice. I don't believe there is a type-1 engine in a bus, stock or otherwise, that I couldn't totally destroy by doing just this.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Maximum speed. Reply with quote

Zed999 wrote:
Spike0180 wrote:
If you're engine is properly tuned and your AF ratio is spot on and your timing is good, you can floor these engines all day.

With respect, this is bad advice. I don't believe there is a type-1 engine in a bus, stock or otherwise, that I couldn't totally destroy by doing just this.

It's one of the first things I would try with my new engine got to break them in. Afterall you want it to break while it's under warranty and if it doesn't explode or overheat chances are everything is right. Drove mine for 3 years before giving it a good run for an hour in 100' F heat at 75MPH Went through a quart of oil though so keep an eye on oil. The engine has stabilized nicely valves quit changing adjustment rings finally seated Oil consumption has reduced and it is running even cooler. It would be bad though for a Non. CW crank and Non-Bal engine.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Maximum speed. Reply with quote

Zed999 wrote:
Spike0180 wrote:

The stock engine ends up have carburation and exhaust restrictions that drop the engine so far out of the power band that it wont grenade itself if properly tuned. Yes you can't literally floor it for days, but for a few hours it is not a problem at all. They almost like it.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Maximum speed. Reply with quote

I drive from Chicago to Boston, from Montreal to DC - about 50k miles a year

I never exceed 70 mph

I usually cruise at 65 in the right lane.

You don't need to 'keep up' with people driving too fast -and you get to watch the bumper cars when they screw up.
Volswagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Maximum speed. Reply with quote

[quote="Danwvw"][quote="Zed999"]
Spike0180 wrote:
Drove mine for 3 years before giving it a good run for an hour in 100' F heat at 75MPH Went through a quart of oil though so keep an eye on oil.

I found that when I stuffed 2 or 3 copper scrub pads in the T4 breather tower the amount of oil blowing up into the filter housing (2-bbl. Weber progressive) was reduced.

'75 Bus https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=697183&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Maximum speed. Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
Zed999 wrote:
Spike0180 wrote:

The stock engine ends up have carburation and exhaust restrictions that drop the engine so far out of the power band that it wont grenade itself if properly tuned. Yes you can't literally floor it for days, but for a few hours it is not a problem at all. They almost like it.

I just floored my worn out stock single port from Sacramento to Grapevine, (that's the distance from London to Edinburgh!) in 100° heat last week. Didn't even let off for the downhills… It probably won't last a long time like that, but the oil wasn't too hot, the head temps didn't alarm me, and the fuel economy only dropped 2-3mpg from my usual half-throttle freeway cruise.

I dare say, the car almost liked it.

BUT! We HAVE to clarify, that STOCK engines are different from what most people call "stock" engines. The only parts on my engine that differ from how it would have rolled off the assembly line in Germany is the Porsche valve adjusters. Many folks build "stock" engines with a few Chinese parts here and there, one or two "upgrades," or a header-type exhaust, and never get to experience the vehicular nirvana that is a Genuine 1970's Volkswagen Experience.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eddy1973Transporter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: Maximum speed. Reply with quote

1973 Type 2 Transporter
Maximum speed is 55 and it sounds like it's going to explode. Is there something wrong?
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:57 am    Post subject: Re: Maximum speed. Reply with quote

Eddy1973Transporter wrote:
1973 Type 2 Transporter
Maximum speed is 55 and it sounds like it's going to explode. Is there something wrong?

From the factory they they would do about 78 mph all day long with stock tires and that 002 gearbox. That 1700 engine was one the best IMO.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Maximum speed. Reply with quote

1973 Type 2 Transporter

Is the sound or the engine preventing your from going faster?

Robbie
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Maximum speed. Reply with quote

1973 Type 2 Transporter

Are you positive you're in fourth gear ? 55 is the top (ish) of third gear.
If you are sure you've selected fourth, I suspect slipping clutch disc.
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Maximum speed. Reply with quote

A. It's been my experience over many years and many buses not to trust the stock VW bus speedo. That is unless you have removed it and had it calibrated at a certified speedometer repair shop. Most like mine run 10 to 15 mph too fast. so if you are seeing 80mph on the speedo you are most likely going 65 to 70mph. You can always confirm speed with GPS Wink

B. 1776cc with stock carb. 002 transaxle with 4.86 R+P with a .82 4th. 65 to 70mph all day long Cool
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Maximum speed. Reply with quote

1973 Type 2 Transporter

If it is really loud, there could be something wrong. On a flat road, you should be able to get a 1600 bus up to about 65-70mph.

55mph and a lot of noise may mean that one of the four cylinders is not doing much work.

Or it could just be a hole in the exhaust scaring you into slowing down by making a lot of noise.

Before you drive on and kill the engine, you probably want to check that the engine is firing on all four cylinders.
With the engine idling :
Disconnect spark plug leads one at a time, pull them out of the distributor, then replace them.

If the engine slows down when you disconnect a plug, that means that the cylinder was working. If it does not slow down, that cylinder is not working well.

Then you would go onto compression tests to see if the valves and piston rings and piston are working properly.

Its also worth checking the ignition timing.
Its also worth checking the rocker arm clearances on the valves, so you can be sure the valves are opening and closing at the right times.

Start reading, or watching youTube videos about VW aircooled engines.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Maximum speed. Reply with quote

1973 Type 2 Transporter

How about first thing getting a tach and knowing exactly what RPM you are running?
Eddy1973Transporter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: Maximum speed. Reply with quote

It's a worn bearing in the transmission making the whining noise. Actually had it up to about 62 MPH on my most recent drive.
Thanks' for all the responses.
WhirledTraveller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Maximum speed. Reply with quote

I've driven cross country many times in many types of vehicles including heavy moving trucks and towing trailers.

Statements that "you have to go 70mph or you'll get run over" is just false. Many rental trucks are governed to 65mph and that's it and they certainly don't get run over. Nobody expects a slow vehicle to go fast. They only get pissed if you move into the left lane and sit there.

My big valve 2.0 type IV can easily run 75mph But I keep it to 65mph and I while it's no problem for the vehicle I don't even like that. I prefer 50 mph on county roads, the window down, hear yourself think.
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Maximum speed. Reply with quote

WhirledTraveller wrote:
I've driven cross country many times in many types of vehicles including heavy moving trucks and towing trailers.

Statements that "you have to go 70mph or you'll get run over" is just false. Many rental trucks are governed to 65mph and that's it and they certainly don't get run over. Nobody expects a slow vehicle to go fast. They only get pissed if you move into the left lane and sit there.

My big valve 2.0 type IV can easily run 75mph But I keep it to 65mph and I while it's no problem for the vehicle I don't even like that. I prefer 50 mph on county roads, the window down, hear yourself think.

I’m with you on that. I like 2 lane state highways and cruising somewhere between 60-65 mph. It will run cool and quiet all day like that. I have driven on the interstate for short periods of time at 70-75 and the bus does fine but I don’t enjoy it and wouldn’t push it like that all day long.

I have always been an old school map guy, but I like gps apps for finding small roads on the fly.
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Maximum speed. Reply with quote

With my 73 Panel (stock 1700cc, dual carbs, manual trans) it would cruise at 70 mph all day long but could do 80 if needed (had it up to 80 on occasion). The sweet spot was in the 65 to 70 range. I changed the oil more often than recommended and she ran well. Use good quality oil and change the oil & filter before your trip. Don't wait for it to get dirty/turn black and it will wear less.

With my 76 Westy and the Subaru engine, I still cruise between 65 and 70 mph but can maintain this speed up hills and mountain passes while pulling a trailer too! Cool
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
ghianowbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Maximum speed. Reply with quote

was stopped in a 72 bus by a cop who said they had me on radar at 85 mph but said that he did not think that a bus went that fast . engine was a 1.7 with holley weber and a truehaft exhaust . do recall our cross country trips with full load easily cruising at 70-75 except for long hills. put over 150 k miles on that engine must have been well balanced out of factory as it was very smooth.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: