Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2.1L Digifant - Diagnosing a Rough Cold Idle
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
john_lessard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:34 am    Post subject: 2.1L Digifant - Diagnosing a Rough Cold Idle Reply with quote

Hello Samba!

It has been a long Winter filled Van maintenance and fixes. We pulled the engine from my friend's 1991 Tin Top (manual) to do some various work to it. Engine has an unknown amount of miles (we are guessing under 100k) Nothing too invasive was done. Upon reinstalling it, it seemed to run well, or so we thought! We are stuck troubleshooting a strange issue with the engine. The problem is as described:

When the engine starts (either it is cold or warm) it idles right around 950 RPMs as you'd expect. After a couple seconds, the engine begins to stumble. It will struggle to stay running around 400-500 RPMs. Opening the throttle would cause a backfire or stall. If we allow the van to stay running like this for a couple minutes, right around when the thermostat housing sees 180F, the engine smooths out to 950 RPMs. At this point, the van runs and drives fantastically! Power seems great and there is virtually no hesitation when accelerating. I will note it seems a tad bit sluggish when accelerating off idle.

Here is a list of parts we replaced / added while the engine was out:

- Clutch Kit
- Rear Main Seal
- GoWesty Stainless Exhaust
- Hollow Catalytic Converter
- New Bosch O2 Sensor
- New Bosch Fuel Pump
- New Bosch Fuel Filter
- CB Performance Oil Pump (Maxi Pump 1)
- GoWesty Billet Aluminum Throttle Body
- New Temp II Sensor
- New Thermostat and Thermostat Housing
- GoWesty rebuilt Idle Stability Control Unit
- Rebuilt Distributor with Bosch Hall Sensor
- Marco Mansi Fuel Injectors
- Van Cafe Aluminum Fuel Rails
- K&N Air Filter
- GoWesty Alternator Bracket supports
- GoWesty HD Alternator Harness
- Rebuilt Alternator

Parameters:

- O2 Sensor Plugged in
- Timing set to 37 Degrees at 3000 RPMs
- AFM signal conditioner harness being used
- Amsoil European Car Formula 5W-40, Mann filter

Diagnostics I've performed:

- Tried other known working ECU - no change
- Tried other known working AFM - seems to change the characteristics of the problem, but no significant improvement
- Cleaned and checked continuity of carbon track on current AFM
- Tried other ISCU - no noticeable change
- Tried other ICV and cleaned current ICV - no noticeable change
- Used a homemade smoke machine to check for vacuum leaks, nothing found
- Tried plugging Brake Booster vacuum line, no change

When I first started attempting to tune this engine, I had an issue where the van seemed to run well cold, and stumbled and bucked (while accelerating) when hot. What seemed to get me where I am now was by tuning the AFM when it was warm. I would primarily adjust the spring tension of the wiper and wiper arm position to hone in on the sweet spots of the carbon track that minimized the bucking. I would drive down the road, row through the gears, and adjust the spring tension (moving the black plastic gear a few "clicks") to see if the bucking would subside. I got to the point where the van ran fantastically, hot idle was smooth, and power was good. But, once I got here, the issue of the rough cold idle arose.

The big red flag to me is that the van will not idle and hardly run at any temperature with the O2 Sensor disconnected! I believe the van should run fine with the O2 sensor disconnected, so I am suspecting when it is hooked up, it is severely compensating for something.

Another interesting point is that during the stumbling cold idle, if I physically move the wiper arm counterclockwise, the engine begins to smooth out (still rough, not a perfect idle). But, once the engine is at temperature is idling well, moving the wiper to that same position causes the motor to nearly die (I believe it causes it to run way too rich).

I apologize for the overload of information. I am really hoping a Digifant Wizard could chime in here. I feel like I have tried so many things and just end up moving the problem around. Embarassed

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1L Digifant - Diagnosing a Rough Cold Idle Reply with quote

have you confirmed the correct temp sensor values, the TPS, and the O2 coax and grounds are good?

sit down with this lovely gem and you'll find the problem:

http://oldbluesblog.com/files/DigifantProTrainingManual_SingleSided.pdf

pages 17 and 30 are good places to start

BiWerks Design, LLC

Last edited by dabaron on Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:18 am; edited 2 times in total
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1L Digifant - Diagnosing a Rough Cold Idle Reply with quote

Sounds to me like a fueling issue. Have you happened to check your fuel pressure regulator pressures? The engine should run just fine with the O2 sensor disconnected (open loop). If your pressure regulator is messed up, maybe in closed loop the ECU is able to compensate.

Also, the O2 sensor signal is very sensitive, so you should measure the signal wire resistance between the O2 sensor and the ECU to ensure there is very little resistance (under 2 ohms) and no shorts to ground or the O2 heater circuit (the other 2 wires in the O2 harness)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
john_lessard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1L Digifant - Diagnosing a Rough Cold Idle Reply with quote

I did confirm the O2 Sensor is not grounding out to the shielding wire. I will certainly test the resistance of the signal wire to the ECU.

I confirmed the TPS is working correctly and adjusted it according to the Bently.

Testing the fuel pressure is next on my list. That's a good point the ECU may be compensating for bad fuel pressure. The Fuel Pressure Regulator is about 1 year old, and the Fuel Pump and filter were just replaced.

I will also test the resistance values of the new Temp II sensor at different temperatures. Perhaps the new sensor is a dud.
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1L Digifant - Diagnosing a Rough Cold Idle Reply with quote

john_lessard wrote:
I did confirm the O2 Sensor is not grounding out to the shielding wire. I will certainly test the resistance of the signal wire to the ECU.

I confirmed the TPS is working correctly and adjusted it according to the Bently.

Testing the fuel pressure is next on my list. That's a good point the ECU may be compensating for bad fuel pressure. The Fuel Pressure Regulator is about 1 year old, and the Fuel Pump and filter were just replaced.

I will also test the resistance values of the new Temp II sensor at different temperatures. Perhaps the new sensor is a dud.

i would confirm the Temp 2 resistance value at both the sensor and the ECU connector... you might have a bad wire that is not making a good connection.

BiWerks Design, LLC
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1L Digifant - Diagnosing a Rough Cold Idle Reply with quote

It sounds like it's lean. It's exactly the same issue I had.

Have you checked idle mixture to confirm it is correct?

Idle mixture adjustment:

Bring engine to operating temp. (Fan should turn on once).

Disconnect O2 sensor
Disconnect ICV
Disconnect breather hose AT breather tower and plug (tower is unplugged, hose is plugged).

Turn engine on. Let idle and check voltage on O2 sensor (green wire and ground). Should be about 0.7V.

Coarse adjustment is by moving wiper arm (loosen Phillips screw on wiper arm and move arm left). Fine adjustment is with 3mm Hex air screw on AFM.
john_lessard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1L Digifant - Diagnosing a Rough Cold Idle Reply with quote

zoti,

My only problem at the moment is engine hardly runs with the O2 sensor disconnected (only if I start the engine with it unplugged, so the ECU goes into open loop mode). I did attach my volt meter to the O2 sensor during the stuttering cold start and noticed <0.1V values. You may be onto something.

I could probably dramatically adjust the wiper arm position so it will run when the O2 sensor is disconnected. If I physically move the wiper arm counterclockwise, the engine seems to smooth out.
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1L Digifant - Diagnosing a Rough Cold Idle Reply with quote

john_lessard wrote:
zoti,

My only problem at the moment is engine hardly runs with the O2 sensor disconnected (only if I start the engine with it unplugged, so the ECU goes into open loop mode). I did attach my volt meter to the O2 sensor during the stuttering cold start and noticed <0.1V values. You may be onto something.

I could probably dramatically adjust the wiper arm position so it will run when the O2 sensor is disconnected. If I physically move the wiper arm counterclockwise, the engine seems to smooth out.

Does the engine stutter if started when hot? i.e. it was running and up to temperature then turned off and started again.
john_lessard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1L Digifant - Diagnosing a Rough Cold Idle Reply with quote

zoti wrote:
john_lessard wrote:
zoti,

Does the engine stutter if started when hot? i.e. it was running and up to temperature then turned off and started again.

Yes it does stutter on a "hot" restart. Same symptoms as described, only they will not last as long. I believe once the temperature at the thermostat gets to around 180F, something switches in the ECU (perhaps it starts making adjustments based on the O2 sensor input?) and the idle settles out to a steady 950 RPMs.
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1L Digifant - Diagnosing a Rough Cold Idle Reply with quote

john_lessard wrote:
zoti wrote:
john_lessard wrote:
zoti,

Yes it does stutter on a "hot" restart. Same symptoms as described, only they will not last as long. I believe once the temperature at the thermostat gets to around 180F, something switches in the ECU (perhaps it starts making adjustments based on the O2 sensor input?) and the idle settles out to a steady 950 RPMs.

Yes. You're probably right regarding the ECU. I would recommend doing the adjustment of the idle mixture and see where your set. I bet you will find your lean.
john_lessard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1L Digifant - Diagnosing a Rough Cold Idle Reply with quote

I think I'm making some progress here. I need to stop assuming new-ish parts are working as they should and they couldn't possibly be contributing to a problem.

Following the Pro-Training Manual, I performed a fuel pressure test:

First off, at idle, with everything still plugged in, I was seeing a fluctuating needle from 25-30 psi.

I then disconnected the Fuel Pressure Regulator, and watched the needle ride and bounce between 30 - 35 psi.

I tested just the fuel pump by jumping the pump relay. I saw a steady needle at 33 psi.

I then noticed as soon as the pump was off, the pressure would fall quickly (gone in less than 5 seconds). I clamped off the return line and saw the pressure hold continuously.

I have determined my <1 year old Bosch Fuel Pump is not putting out the correct minimum pressure of 36 psi. I will try an old spare pump to see if the pressure returns to where it should be. I will also shop for a good replacement.

I have also determined my <2 year old Fuel Pressure Regulator is no holding pressure. I think that stupid thing cost me like $90 from a major Vanagon supplier! I have a new Beck/Arnley on order now.

Needle 25 - 30 psi at (roughly) 950 rpms idle. FPR connected.

Needle 30 - 35 psi at (roughly) 950 rpms idle. FPR disconnected.

Any ideas what the fluctuation of +/- 5 psi fuel pressure is all about?
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1L Digifant - Diagnosing a Rough Cold Idle Reply with quote

couple things.... you said it runs better if you push the AFM wiper around. we're it mine, i'd adjust spring tension until it runs nicely, shooting for disconnected O2 sensor values as close to 0.5v as you can get. the sweet spot on my '87 is 90-110 grams spring tension to where it just lifts off the rest stop.

then, how is the fuel pressure gauge needle acting? twitchy fast varying or slow pulsing. any regularity/periodicity to it? the four things affecting pressure are the pump condition, the intake screen in the tank, the fuel filter, and the regulator. do the cheap things first like another filter. then blow air back into the tank. pinch off the return hose and see if the pressure shoots to close to 100psi.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1L Digifant - Diagnosing a Rough Cold Idle Reply with quote

john_lessard wrote:
I think I'm making some progress here. I need to stop assuming new-ish parts are working as they should and they couldn't possibly be contributing to a problem.

Following the Pro-Training Manual, I performed a fuel pressure test:

First off, at idle, with everything still plugged in, I was seeing a fluctuating needle from 25-30 psi.

I then disconnected the Fuel Pressure Regulator, and watched the needle ride and bounce between 30 - 35 psi.

I tested just the fuel pump by jumping the pump relay. I saw a steady needle at 33 psi.

I then noticed as soon as the pump was off, the pressure would fall quickly (gone in less than 5 seconds). I clamped off the return line and saw the pressure hold continuously.

I have determined my <1 year old Bosch Fuel Pump is not putting out the correct minimum pressure of 36 psi. I will try an old spare pump to see if the pressure returns to where it should be. I will also shop for a good replacement.

I have also determined my <2 year old Fuel Pressure Regulator is no holding pressure. I think that stupid thing cost me like $90 from a major Vanagon supplier! I have a new Beck/Arnley on order now.

Needle 25 - 30 psi at (roughly) 950 rpms idle. FPR connected.

Needle 30 - 35 psi at (roughly) 950 rpms idle. FPR disconnected.

Any ideas what the fluctuation of +/- 5 psi fuel pressure is all about?

It sounds like your fuel pressure regulator is not holding pressure but I don't think that would give you much issues in idle. More in acceleration when you need more fuel.

Have you tested idle mixture yet?
john_lessard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1L Digifant - Diagnosing a Rough Cold Idle Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
couple things.... you said it runs better if you push the AFM wiper around. we're it mine, i'd adjust spring tension until it runs nicely, shooting for disconnected O2 sensor values as close to 0.5v as you can get. the sweet spot on my '87 is 90-110 grams spring tension to where it just lifts off the rest stop.

then, how is the fuel pressure gauge needle acting? twitchy fast varying or slow pulsing. any regularity/periodicity to it? the four things affecting pressure are the pump condition, the intake screen in the tank, the fuel filter, and the regulator. do the cheap things first like another filter. then blow air back into the tank. pinch off the return hose and see if the pressure shoots to close to 100psi.

This is a good tuning suggestion and I will certainly be doing something like this soon.

When I pinch off the return line now and run the pump, the pressure shoots up to 90 psi. I believe that is acceptable and makes me think the Bosch pump is good. I am hoping the rapid fluctuating Fuel Pressure is due to the faulty FPR. I can also be convinced that the fluctuating fuel pressure could contribute to a less-than smooth idle.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1L Digifant - Diagnosing a Rough Cold Idle Reply with quote

I'll bet if you put a vacuum gauge on the vacuum hose between the intake and the fuel pressure regulator, that needle would also bounce. Sounds like you have a manifold vacuum problem. The changing fuel pressure is not helping matters.

Here is the deal with adjusting on the AFM. It was never intended to be adjusted on. You'll notice there is zero bosch information about adjusting on it.

When you adjust on the AFM, your change is across the entire sweep. So, when you adjust it for hot idle, you are likely ignoring the real problem.

So, I'd concentrate on getting a good smooth idle during start and warm up, then move on to the warm running performance.

You are exactly correct, the O2 sensor is likely working it's butt off to compensate and hide the actual problem. A proper running engine should not even need the OXS sensor. Good luck. You are learning a lot.
john_lessard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1L Digifant - Diagnosing a Rough Cold Idle Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
I'll bet if you put a vacuum gauge on the vacuum hose between the intake and the fuel pressure regulator, that needle would also bounce. Sounds like you have a manifold vacuum problem. The changing fuel pressure is not helping matters.

Here is the deal with adjusting on the AFM. It was never intended to be adjusted on. You'll notice there is zero bosch information about adjusting on it.

When you adjust on the AFM, your change is across the entire sweep. So, when you adjust it for hot idle, you are likely ignoring the real problem.

So, I'd concentrate on getting a good smooth idle during start and warm up, then move on to the warm running performance.

You are exactly correct, the O2 sensor is likely working it's butt off to compensate and hide the actual problem. A proper running engine should not even need the OXS sensor. Good luck. You are learning a lot.

Thanks MarkWard!

I was originally thinking a manifold vacuum problem too, but keep in mind the fuel pressure needle bounces with the FPR disconnected or connected. To me, it seems like something inside of the FPR has failed and is causing fluctuating pressure regulations.

I wouldn't even know where to start with a manifold vacuum issue. I already confirmed there are no vacuum leaks with a smoke test. Confused
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1L Digifant - Diagnosing a Rough Cold Idle Reply with quote

Quote:

I tested just the fuel pump by jumping the pump relay. I saw a steady needle at 33 psi

I must have misunderstood. Carry on.
john_lessard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1L Digifant - Diagnosing a Rough Cold Idle Reply with quote

Happy to report I have made significant progress with this issue. Following the Digifant Pro Training Manual, I was testing the harness from the ECU connector confirming everything was okay. Sure enough, I found a bad reading on pin 19 (ground wire that bolts to the driver's side cylinder head). The wire was partially broken. After repairing this wire the engine ran 1000 time better and smoother! This broken wire must have thrown the ECU through a loop causing strange issues.

I had a successful test drive after minimal changes. There was still a tiny bit of hiccupping when accelerating, but I am hoping to adjusting the AFM or timing slightly will resolve that. I will spend some time dialing in the engine following the fuel/air mixture procedure.

As always, when you fix one problem a new one must pop up! After this test drive, I noticed the van was running a bit hot. I went to measure the temperature at the thermostat housing and after reading 230F, I herd a "pop." The rear heater core sprung a leak and flooded the inside of the van! A New heater core, radiator, and thermostat should solve the hot issue. Should be back on the road soon!!
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1L Digifant - Diagnosing a Rough Cold Idle Reply with quote

Quote:
I went to measure the temperature at the thermostat housing and after reading 230F, I herd a "pop."

Unless I am misunderstanding, the rear heater core was not the problem. 230F is way too hot. The excessive cooling system pressure probably did the heater core in.

You will want to figure out why the engine is running that hot in the first place.

Congrats on finding the bad lead.
john_lessard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1L Digifant - Diagnosing a Rough Cold Idle Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Quote:
I went to measure the temperature at the thermostat housing and after reading 230F, I herd a "pop."

Unless I am misunderstanding, the rear heater core was not the problem. 230F is way too hot. The excessive cooling system pressure probably did the heater core in.

You will want to figure out why the engine is running that hot in the first place.

Congrats on finding the bad lead.

The rear heater core was original to the van as far as I knew, so it may have been the weak link the broke (which is a good thing I believe because I would have been bummed if it was something else like the front heater core). We concluded that the radiator was clogged causing it to run hot. After replacing the Tstat, heater core, and radiator, everything is well and good! Temperature sits right at 180F measured from the Tstat housing. I will continue test driving and making subtle adjustments as needed, but I feel I am in pretty good shape. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: