Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dealer Info
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:11 pm    Post subject: Dealer Info Reply with quote

Hey, how do I find out where my 1968 Ghia was imported to and the dealer that 1st sold it?
Jere
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:14 am    Post subject: Re: Dealer Info Reply with quote

Jere wrote:
Hey, how do I find out where my 1968 Ghia was imported to and the dealer that 1st sold it?
Jere

The birth Certificate has some of that information

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=95862

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Jere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Dealer Info Reply with quote

Just looked at its Birth Certificate and it just shows country destination. Which in my case is USA. Still not what I'm looking for. But thanks for the reply.
Jere
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Dealer Info Reply with quote

Unless you have the paperwork from the dealer, then no way to really ever know.
Jere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Dealer Info Reply with quote

My Ghia is an original black plate (California). It was last registered in 1984 and was located in the San Francisco Bay area. I finished my restoration and registered it in 2019. I was hopeful that our DMV would have and would release the previous registration info. But alas, not.
camfella04
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Dealer Info Reply with quote

It is interesting the types of information that you can get and where. I live in Ontario Canada and for every used vehicle sold, you are supposed to get a "used vehicle information package" that contains all the information on the registration of the vehicle in Ontario. I was able to trace mine right back to when it arrived in Canada. Not all provinces have this in place.

Again in Canada, we have the ability to formally ask provincial departments through provincial Access to Information legislation for info. Usually takes some time to dig up the correct form and where to send it to, as well as you have to phrase your question correctly to get possibly get an answer.

Searching the California DMV https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/customer-service/req...formation/ types of information page, they collect "Examples of data maintained in our registration records are owner name(s), lien holder name(s), address, vehicle identification numbers, vehicle plate numbers, registration expiration date, make, and type of vehicle."

Have you tried this page for request: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/customer-service/req...d-request/

Good luck! Sometimes it takes navigating the bureaucratic ocean to find what should be simple!
Jere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Dealer Info Reply with quote

I appreciate your in-depth approach to search for the history of my Ghia. Unfortunately, I tried that approach with the DMV. It only showed when I registered it.
It was last registered in 1984. This was according to the sticker on the license plate. I bought it in 2002. It just sat in my barn until November 2017 when I started on the restoration. As I said it was an original black plate. So when I went to registered it I did it under YOM (year of manufacture) to insure that I could keep those plates. After all, they were the ones that came with the car.
I’m disappointed with the DMV. It was previously registered with them. Surely somewhere in their records it shows change of ownership. Normally I would just go to the local branch and ask but this COVID thing has prevented me from doing that, for now.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: