Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wiring for coolant level idiot light?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
captainerik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:14 pm    Post subject: Wiring for coolant level idiot light? Reply with quote

I have a 1990 Westy and recently changed all the gauges to speed hut. I would like to have an idiot light on the dash for a coolant level sensor. Is it possible to tap into the coolant control module with a 12v LED? Thanks in advance
wcdennis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring for coolant level idiot light? Reply with quote

That would work. You might want to find an led that is prewired to flash. The yellow/red wire from the "G" terminal on the Coolant Module goes to ground if the sensor detects low coolant, so you will need to hook the negative lead to that wire and tap a 12v source for the positive side.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
captainerik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring for coolant level idiot light? Reply with quote

wcdennis wrote:
That would work. You might want to find an led that is prewired to flash. The yellow/red wire from the "G" terminal on the Coolant Module goes to ground if the sensor detects low coolant, so you will need to hook the negative lead to that wire and tap a 12v source for the positive side.

Awesome! Thank you. I have some led arriving via snail mail and will give this a go.
dgeissberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring for coolant level idiot light? Reply with quote

captainerik wrote:
I have a 1990 Westy and recently changed all the gauges to speed hut. I would like to have an idiot light on the dash for a coolant level sensor. Is it possible to tap into the coolant control module with a 12v LED? Thanks in advance

I am trying to plan out my system. It sounds like the speedhut does oil pressure and coolant temp but not coolant level? This is why you want to add in the idiot light?

Thanks!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: