Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Fuel injection questions thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 54, 55, 56  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JernJoffen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Have been trying to find exhaust options for a 76 injection vert with no luck.
Anyone know of any good looking options?
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

JernJoffen wrote:
Have been trying to find exhaust options for a 76 injection vert with no luck.
Anyone know of any good looking options?
There isn't a lot to choose from. If you want to keep the rear apron o.e.m. Vintage Speed makes a muffler that exits at the factory location. HOWEVER, you must convert to pre 1975 heater boxes to use it. I believe they have a couple different flow capacity/sound levels to choose from. Also remember, the '75 to '79 exhaust ( non California ) actually flows better than the pre '75 exhausts even with one tailpipe.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JernJoffen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Quick follow up question, what are the differences between the pre, and post 75 heater boxes?
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

JernJoffen wrote:
Quick follow up question, what are the differences between the pre, and post 75 heater boxes?
the 1975 to 79 used what they called an afterburner style exhaust. It's a more complicated setup than the earlier cars. I'll try to find a couple pictures later.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JernJoffen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Much appreciated, do you know what needs to be modified in order to use a Vintage Speed exhaust with the original heaters?
walarson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:02 pm    Post subject: Temp sensor 2 possible location Reply with quote

unitedracing wrote:
On second look I see that those are new looking heads. Did you or the person you got the car from redo the engine? Check the opposite head on the side closest to the front of the car and see if there's a port...maybe the heads are on the wrong side of the engine. Most new heads come with the sensor port, but its only on one head.

Good eye. The heads came with the engine. I checked the other head and found no drilled spot for the sensor. Please note photo below. Can I drill the spot for the sensor where noted? Its got enough depth and pilot hole is in place.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

You could, but securing the valve covers will be challenging afterwards. Wink

An inch or two above that on the smooth area will work, the hole will likely go through into the oil side so a little sealer on the treads may be required. Don't overdo it though, the sensor has to make good electrical contact with the threads.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

JernJoffen wrote:
Much appreciated, do you know what needs to be modified in order to use a Vintage Speed exhaust with the original heaters?

You'll have to swap the whole system, the VS uses carb style heat exchangers, the rear tin will need mods or changing too since the fresh air hoses are in different spots. Lower tin is different too.

The FI system pipes the exhaust from all 4 cylinders through the HE's, the carb style only uses #1 & #3's exhaust, #2 & #4 go directly into the muffler.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
walarson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
You could, but securing the valve covers will be challenging afterwards. Wink

An inch or two above that on the smooth area will work, the hole will likely go through into the oil side so a little sealer on the treads may be required. Don't overdo it though, the sensor has to make good electrical contact with the threads.

I noticed the heads were from MOFOCO so I called them and was told drill out the hole for the tin on the right side of the head closest to the intake manifolds.

That's the plan. Thanks for the assist.
Gr0unded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

I recently had a throttle cable replaced (twice actually) and then replaced the bowden tube thinking the sticky throttle issue was resolved only to find the problem never really went away. Inside the car, when pressing with my right foot down on the accelerator the amount of pressure needed to depress seems a little excessive. Imagine if you will, when you first begin to press on the pedal and it doesn't move at first. Then you begin to push with a little more strength and then suddenly at some threshold it breaks loose but the pedal is going way beyond I had intended to drive smoothly a slow speeds, sometimes even shifting gears it can be tricky to engage smoothly because of this. In short, the gas pedal has become difficult to modulate at the onset of applying pressure to the gas pedal.

I have driven a couple of different friend's beetle, but the throttle seems to move like butter and much easier to press. It is night and day in comparison.

Maybe just a wild guess, but it seems the throttle body spring and maybe the linkage has gotten stiff. Has anyone had an issue with their throttle body linkage? Is it the spring problem or is the complicated linkage pieces just need to be taken apart, cleaned up, and re-lubricated?

I am about to embark on this procedure but wanted to see if anyone else has had this trouble. Any hints? This problem is driving me nuts, making it unenjoyable to drive the car.

Stop Dead Photo Links! Post your VW photos to the Samba Gallery!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Gr0unded wrote:
I recently had a throttle cable replaced (twice actually) and then replaced the bowden tube thinking the sticky throttle issue was resolved only to find the problem never really went away. Inside the car, when pressing with my right foot down on the accelerator the amount of pressure needed to depress seems a little excessive. Imagine if you will, when you first begin to press on the pedal and it doesn't move at first. Then you begin to push with a little more strength and then suddenly at some threshold it breaks loose but the pedal is going way beyond I had intended to drive smoothly a slow speeds, sometimes even shifting gears it can be tricky to engage smoothly because of this. In short, the gas pedal has become difficult to modulate at the onset of applying pressure to the gas pedal.

I have driven a couple of different friend's beetle, but the throttle seems to move like butter and much easier to press. It is night and day in comparison.

Maybe just a wild guess, but it seems the throttle body spring and maybe the linkage has gotten stiff. Has anyone had an issue with their throttle body linkage? Is it the spring problem or is the complicated linkage pieces just need to be taken apart, cleaned up, and re-lubricated?

I am about to embark on this procedure but wanted to see if anyone else has had this trouble. Any hints? This problem is driving me nuts, making it unenjoyable to drive the car.

Most of the time when that happens the throttle body has worn to the point that the plate jams in the bore a little when closed, tape something on the stop to hold it open a little, it won't drive like that, but you can feel the pedal and see if it helps.

Phil (Whip618) used to remachine them, but all I see for his ads now is selling off his core hoard, I guess he's retired. There's a few used ones in the classifieds that may be less worn than yours if that does turn out to be the problem.

Слава Україні!
ltjohnb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

So my 79 is past due for a hose change out. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with these kits?

https://germansupply.com/vacuum-hose-kit-fuel-injected-beetle-75-79.html#product-tabs3

https://germansupply.com/fuel-hose-kit-fuel-injected-super-beetle-75-79.html

I know I could do it cheaper just buying and cutting hose, but I like the idea of getting all new clamps and other assorted hardware as well.
22 Taos "Betty White"
Gr0unded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

ltjohnb wrote:
So my 79 is past due for a hose change out. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with these kits?

https://germansupply.com/vacuum-hose-kit-fuel-injected-beetle-75-79.html#product-tabs3

I know I could do it cheaper just buying and cutting hose, but I like the idea of getting all new clamps and other assorted hardware as well.

I do not have any experience with Germansupply. Frankly, for a long spell there Germansupply was not an available outlet to get parts while they re-tooled. Last time I replaced hoses, in a pinch, I went with 5/16" hose from a FLAPS rated for ethanol laced fuels.

Another avenue you could try is Belmetric. They have dual rated braided hose if you want to maintain the original look.

https://www.belmetric.com/multifuel-hoseethanol-approved-c-14_662/?zenid=ilf79okq66g0fp5p0ik8qnftp7

As far as clamps go, don't go cheap here. The slotted band clamp actually cuts into the hose and marginally clamps the hose in comparison to the smoother inner style clamps. See link below for the style I use:

https://www.belmetric.com/aba-dual-drive-hex-c-15_...0ik8qnftp7

Stop Dead Photo Links! Post your VW photos to the Samba Gallery!
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

JernJoffen wrote:
Sorry it took so long to get back to this, the site refuses to let me know when someone replies to a thread I'm following. To use the vintage speed muffler you need to replace the fuel injected exhaust and use pre 1975 heat exchangers. I was thinking of it, but their exhaust is expensive...and I'm too much a stickler for oem
ltjohnb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Gr0unded wrote:
ltjohnb wrote:

I do not have any experience with Germansupply. Frankly, for a long spell there Germansupply was not an available outlet to get parts while they re-tooled. Last time I replaced hoses, in a pinch, I went with 5/16" hose from a FLAPS rated for ethanol laced fuels.

Another avenue you could try is Belmetric. They have dual rated braided hose if you want to maintain the original look.

https://www.belmetric.com/multifuel-hoseethanol-approved-c-14_662/?zenid=ilf79okq66g0fp5p0ik8qnftp7

As far as clamps go, don't go cheap here. The slotted band clamp actually cuts into the hose and marginally clamps the hose in comparison to the smoother inner style clamps. See link below for the style I use:

https://www.belmetric.com/aba-dual-drive-hex-c-15_...0ik8qnftp7

I appreciate the feedback. I'll definetly take a look at the stuff Belmetric offers.
22 Taos "Betty White"
JMB72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

I have a 1975 Beetle that has the original Fuel Injection but I need to find someone who knows how to work on the FI, does anybody know of someone who knows how to work with these FI systems here in the Southern California area ( Los Angeles or the Inland Empire area ) thanks .
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

www.airschooled.com , but he's likely left town for his summer lap of the country by now.

Слава Україні!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

I do! But Loma Linda is a Long Ways away! Shoot me a PM!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile

Last edited by VW_Jimbo on Sat May 15, 2021 8:49 am; edited 1 time in total
gyman98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

I have a 79 super beetle with fuel injection that I just put a clutch in, put it back together and now I can’t get it to start.

I have spark, timed properly with a light

Using a stethoscope I can hear the injectors clicking while cranking, with a test light both sides of the injector have power as soon as the key is on and while cranking. Is that right?

Also while researching problems I read about the fuel pump and I don’t remember ever hearing it run. I hot wired it both ways (unsure which way it’s supposed to be wired) and no increase in pressure. So is it possible it would of run before without the fuel pump working?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Welcome!
Are you saying the fuel pressure reads zero?, it couldn't have run like that before. To test the pump and it's circuit depress the flap in the air flow meter through the air cleaner end while the key is on, you should hear a click from under the ECU in the luggage compartment and a whirring from up front. The injectors will show power on both terminals unless you unplug all 4, it's a batch fire system and the resistance of the coils will give you false results if any others are connected.

I'd start with the simple things first since I'm assuming it was running OK until the engine came out for the clutch job. Where did you reconnect the two white wires with ring terminals near the top of the alternator?, is the single white wire connected to the #1 terminal on the coil? (same terminal as the points), is the AFM plugged in?, is the sensor on #4 cylinder's rocker box connected to it's single wire?, were either of the fuel lines clamped to allow them to be disconnected and not leak?, are the clamps off now?

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 54, 55, 56  Next
Jump to:
Page 29 of 56

Jump to: