Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

O Ghia's Restoration Journey
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Quote:
The ones I have will work once I can install the correct bracket covers. The correct covers will allow the bumper to move a bit closer to the car.

Lets hope so!!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
c21darrel wrote:
Did you use the body to bumper cover seals? Didnt see them on 1st pic.
Looking good!!

Ha! That's the only part that beat me. If there's a trick to this I failed to figure it out. . I think I'm going to look for some rubber U channel.

I glued mine on before I installed my bumpers. Not as easy as it sounds. Holding the seals in place while drying took some creative thinking.
Ended up using bricks, cat litter in plastic bags and some bar clamps.
You know, just stuff I had laying around.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:23 am    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Don't forget the 'rubber' washer between the bracket and the body.
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Ian Godfrey wrote:
Don't forget the 'rubber' washer between the bracket and the body.

This is the first I've heard about a rubber washer?? Did the factory use rubber washers?

I didn't want to bolt directly to the rear apron so I made some rubber protectors, basically washers, out of inner tube rubber.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

my '69 had them and they 'looked' old but I can't confirm if they came from the factory that way. They looked like black tap washers, say 2mm thick.
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Ian Godfrey wrote:
my '69 had them and they 'looked' old but I can't confirm if they came from the factory that way. They looked like black tap washers, say 2mm thick.

Part 109 & 110 in the diagram...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Looks like one on either side of the bracket
Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
Ian Godfrey wrote:

Part 109 & 110 in the diagram...

Looks like one on either side of the bracket
Nicholas

Good to know. Thank you. This is very helpful.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Still waiting on bumper bracket covers so moved on to something else. The horns are not likely the originals as they have wrong colors of overspray on them. The stampings on each of them does not match the other so I think they were parts off the shelf that the PO threw on the car in a hurry. At least the diaper boot is new. I got something for all that money!! Laughing

I stripped and painted the front covers and the diaphragm inside each horn. The back sides that are visible from the trunk received a deep cleaning and I left them original. The diaper boot got a good bath.

Someone else posted about using a string or wire to aid in putting the lip over the hole and that worked really well. Great to find helpful tips on here.

I then tried to get the rubber drain tubes in the front trunk channel and after several tries, I decided to get some upholstery thread and basically use the same trick as the horn boot or windshield install. So much easier.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Last edited by Marcdeb on Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
moogie32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Those horns looks great Marc! How do they sound?
Doch leider musst du von uns gehn
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

moogie32 wrote:
Those horns looks great Marc! How do they sound?

Well, they sounded great when the car first arrived. As far as I know they are working great. I still have a lot of loose wires so I have not tested anything yet. Question Neutral

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
Noticed this VW Ghia Front Badge a few weeks ago on Samba for $10.

Figured what the heck, it's only $10, so I took a chance that under all that paint, maybe it was still in decent shape.
I used some chemical stripper and I probably put 2 hours worth of my time into it but this is the end result.

I have several but it turns out this is now the best one so it's going on the car.
Laughing

Hey, that's a nice looking nose badge you have there, I want it back along! LOL
It came off the '67 body out of Georgia that I'm using for my '64 project.

I stumbled on your resto thread and you're doing an outstanding job. Are you happy with the narrow weave carpets from Newton? I'm not sure I want to spring for the Square Weave and what you have actually looks very nice.

Anyway, I'm loving your work and experiencing Ghia-envy here as mine is stuck in body shop purgatory until I can reassemble.
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Hi Peter,
Sorry about the hood badge, but it's already on the car permanently. Laughing I was quite pleased that it turned out to be so nice under all that paint. I'm not sure what came over me to buy it in the first place but I'm glad I did.

I haven't installed the Newton carpet yet, but out of the box, I'm totally satisfied with it. I think you will be happy satisfied if you decide to go with Newton. if you haven't communicated with them yet, you'll find them very friendly and professional. The shipping is costly but I think it's worth it. By the way, it took about 2 months to get the carpet set as they make them to order.

Thank you for the compliment, the car has a long way to go but it's getting there.

Good luck with your Ghia. What sort of restoration are you planning?

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

I'm glad you bought the emblem because I almost tossed it in the trash! I don't want to hijack your thread with my restoration but this is my project going on 3 years now: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=697059

I haven't posted lately because the car has been in the since October body shop. I'm going to have it painted Pearl White with a black roof and install a custom GTI style plaid interior.

I'm just drooling over your Ghia because you have the fun of assembling a freshly painted car and I'm just gazing at an empty parking spot!
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Still waiting for small parts to be painted so moving on to headlights, and the rubber seals that go behind the chrome headlight rings. I read a lot of posts about how tricky these rubber seals can be and some people put them in with gasket adhesive, some tape, and some nothing at all. I wanted to get them in without any adhesive. I have the first one finally on and like most everything else so far, it was not an easy or fast job. I had two different sets of seals to work with and they were not at all similar.

I wrote a separate thread with the step by step process I used to get the seal on with out any tape or gasket adhesive. For those interested, here's the link:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9634201#9634201

Here's the final Result. I still have to restore the other headlight bucket but when it's done, I think everything will be much faster on the other side.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Seems that we have to content ourselves with baby steps Marc.
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
The Karmann Ghia Fever YouTube Channel!
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Trylon wrote:
Seems that we have to content ourselves with baby steps Marc.

I have no choice since business has been up considerably since last summer. Work is taking up most of my time.
I try to do something every day even if it's just digging up information on the next step.

I tore the car down in about 8 hours, yet I put about 4 hours into mounting 1 headlight, although most of the time went into the
headlight seal. Embarassed But I'm enjoying every minute of it. Like you, I enjoy getting even the smallest details correct. I'm
starting to really get the itch to drive this thing!!

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
I'm
starting to really get the itch to drive this thing!!

I bet!
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
The Karmann Ghia Fever YouTube Channel!
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Car is looking great Marc.
What are you doing about the dash pad? I ordered a 68-69 “show” style which they say has to be modified to fit a 70. Supposed to arrive next week.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
1973 Ghia convertible
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
What are you doing about the dash pad? I ordered a 68-69 “show” style which they say has to be modified to fit a 70. Supposed to arrive next week.

Thank you Braukuche.

I know: I'm being anal about keeping everything original, yet the dash is so NOT original to 71. I'm ok with that because I love the
look of the early dash. I plan to leave it without a pad, but eventually install the correct early grab handle which I already have.
So it will be a 1971 car with the appearance of a 55-58 dash. It will be an all original 71 Cabriolet with an original early dash. Unique! Laughing

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
Braukuche wrote:

Thank you Braukuche.

I know: I'm being anal about keeping everything original, yet the dash is so NOT original to 71. I'm ok with that because I love the
look of the early dash. I plan to leave it without a pad, but eventually install the correct early grab handle which I already have.
So it will be a 1971 car with the appearance of a 55-58 dash. It will be an all original 71 Cabriolet with an original early dash. Unique! Laughing

I forgot about the dash change.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
1973 Ghia convertible
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Page 29 of 47

Jump to: