Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Chronic Problem w/ "New" engine
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Chronic Problem w/ "New" engine Reply with quote

What an awesome conclusion to a decade long mystery!

Super happy for you.

But what I really wanna know: what was WildThings' homebrew fix for dipstick tube? Laughing
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Chronic Problem w/ "New" engine Reply with quote

secretsubmariner wrote:
what was WildThings' homebrew fix for dipstick tube? Laughing

Use the search Luke
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Chronic Problem w/ "New" engine Reply with quote

^lurk long enough and pay attention. just a bit of fuel line

i know you have been here for ages. surprised you did not pick that one up.
dr8track
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Chronic Problem w/ "New" engine Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Jet sizes by themselves tell only part of the story, to have a better idea of the jetting one also needs to know the size of the air correction jets. In general though stepping up two jet sizes (and keeping the air correction jets the same) will make a lean engine run fairly well, though if you were running so lean to begin with that you were only getting 7 MPG going only two steps richer might put you in the danger zone of running too close to stochiometric. Stoch or a bit leaner at a light cruise is fine, but with the pedal down pulling a hill you want to see richer conditions.

How would I determine if it was stochiometric? Would this be determined by performance? Fuel consumption? If performance is the indicator what should I watch for and in what conditions? Climbing a steep hill as you mentioned?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: Chronic Problem w/ "New" engine Reply with quote

dr8track wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
Jet sizes by themselves tell only part of the story, to have a better idea of the jetting one also needs to know the size of the air correction jets. In general though stepping up two jet sizes (and keeping the air correction jets the same) will make a lean engine run fairly well, though if you were running so lean to begin with that you were only getting 7 MPG going only two steps richer might put you in the danger zone of running too close to stochiometric. Stoch or a bit leaner at a light cruise is fine, but with the pedal down pulling a hill you want to see richer conditions.

How would I determine if it was stochiometric? Would this be determined by performance? Fuel consumption? If performance is the indicator what should I watch for and in what conditions? Climbing a steep hill as you mentioned?

You need to have an exhaust gas analyzer to know for sure, though a head temperature sensor can give you some idea. Progressive carbs in general typically end up getting tuned too rich so lean running and head problems are not all that common running them, but since it sounds like you started out way on the lean side I would tend to be concerned about where your jetting ended up.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: