Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another stranded Vanagon -- Won't start
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanaglobal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:11 pm    Post subject: Another stranded Vanagon -- Won't start Reply with quote

Hey guys,

Got stranded on a bridge today... Symptoms before it died are: Vanagon was backfiring and losing power especially in 4th gear. Seemed like one of the plugs wasn’t firing.
White smoke when I start the car from engine compartment even though it goes away after a bit. Smell gas but I feel like I always smell gas lol. I was seeing some gas seep through what I believe is the head gasket... (see photo) I assume it’s the unburnt gas from the misfiring plug.

I started by changing the spark plugs and ignition cables. Looks like the white smoke is gone as well as the leaking from head gasket. Does this mean I need to replace head gasket seals? Either way van does not start regardless.

I can hear the fuel pump. Starter is working. Just wont fire. Sputters.

I’m going to get new distributor cap and rotor. Hoping this remedies the problem, but seeing that gas through the head is worrisome.

Here are some other problems that I need to fix that might be related or not:
My gas tank is leaky and I need to replace the seals. Same with some fuel lines around the injectors, but ok for now after a bit of tightening.

Also found one screw missing where exhaust and manifold connect.

I’d appreciate any thoughts. As of now my car will not start. Turns over but will not fire up. Uploaded pics of spark plug in question as well as distributor parts and the area where I saw the leak.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

snwbrdr435
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Another stranded Vanagon Wont fire up Reply with quote

Jump the connections in the temp 2 sender
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Another stranded Vanagon Wont fire up Reply with quote

Listen, your first priority is to fix the gas leaks by replacing the fuel lines etc., etc.
Do it this weekend.

The last picture the yellow arrow is pointing to the cylinder head to water jacket rubber seal. So it looks like you have the start of a water leak there.
Or if that is gas do not wait until the weekend to fix the fuel leaks.

Subaru Coolant Conditioner might help you there.
https://www.amazon.com/Subaru-OEM-Coolant-System-C...amp;sr=8-2

Buy a Fire Extinguisher...

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Another stranded Vanagon Wont fire up Reply with quote

Don’t know what happened to my original reply to this thread with my comments about distributor cap/rotor parts and fixing the ground wires, but it went somewhere.... Razz Razz Embarassed Embarassed
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto

Last edited by jlrftype7 on Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Another stranded Vanagon Wont fire up Reply with quote

Broke down on a bridge in NYC? I bet you were shown much love and patience! Laughing

It is time for a cap and rotor never the less.

You should NEVER smell gas as a routine smell!

You MUST find out why you always smell gas! ...... NOW!

#1 suspect ...... leaking fuel hoses ..... if you don't know their age, replace them now.

#2 suspect ..... gas tank seals on top of the tsnk

#3 suspect ..... vapor recovery tanks, cracked or bad roll over valve seals.

#4 suspect ..... fuel level sender leaking

#5 suspect ...... rusty fuel tank, the tiny metal venting pipes rust away.

#6 suspect ...... filler neck and related parts.

Fix the fuel leak before you worry about it not running!

The vapor tanks if bad could even be your running problems by introducing water into the fuel tank.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanaglobal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Another stranded Vanagon -- Won't start Reply with quote

Thanks for the input guys. I believe there are multiple issues here that need to be solved, but the first priority is to get I started. Mostly so I can move my car.
Secondly I need it to fire up so I can work the other problems.

There’s no fuel leaking at the moment. The fuel leak can’t be why it won’t start. Am I wrong? It’s only a trickle when I fill up.

I don’t have the luxury of a garage or parking spot if that explains things. Broken glass and asphalt. Welcome to my world lol.

Last edited by vanaglobal on Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Another stranded Vanagon -- Won't start Reply with quote

Considering that you always smell gas
+
The poor running you describe
+
The amount of rain we have had recently

I'm voting for water in the gas.

That's where I would go first.

Dave .

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Another stranded Vanagon -- Won't start Reply with quote

Compression, Spark, and Fuel. You need all 3 for an engine to run. When I have a non running van, I check for spark first. Yes, step 2, no, diagnose no spark. Step 2, you have spark, check for fuel delivery. That includes checking for a pulse at the injectors, fuel pressure, and volume. If you have fuel at the injectors and spark, go to step 3. If no, diagnose no fuel. Step 3, you have spark, and fuel. Time to check the compression.

Looking at your pictures, I have 2 comments. How did you get the cap off with the metal shield in place? The other comment, is the ground wires look like ass. I imagine, the rest of the wiring is not far behind. I'd start with redoing those ground connectors.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Another stranded Vanagon -- Won't start Reply with quote

Try this idea.
Buy the tube of this stuff.
https://www.amazon.com/Gasoila-Regular-Water-Findi...mp;sr=8-17

Get a piece of wire that is a little bit stiff so it will not curl up on itself
something like this.
https://www.homedepot.com/b/Electrical-Wire-Building-Wires/N-5yc1vZc57a

See if they sell it by the foot at Home Depot or Lowes

Take that water detecting paste and smear it on 6-10" on one end of the wire and shove down your gas fill so it gets to the bottom of your gas tank and let it sit for a minute then pull it out.
If the color changed you have water in the gas.

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Another stranded Vanagon -- Won't start Reply with quote

That rotor and cap are way past their date with Dr Death. You can’t run these cars to fail like appliances , they will bite your gluteus Maximus hard.

A fuel leak and low furl pressure will stop you cold, yes. Then it will burn your Bus hot.
vanaglobal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Another stranded Vanagon -- Won't start Reply with quote

Ok cool. Thanks for the direction.

I’ll start with the distributor cap and rotor because it’s the easiest. Hopefully I’ll at least be able to sputter to another parking spot if I have to.

Mark: As for the distributor cap I think it just pried out. Yes wires are shit. I’ll get to them. Something else always comes up lol.

Steve: Can I just use that gas tester from some gas out of the bleeder valve or does it need to be submerged in the tank?

After that I’ll do fuel lines and gas tank seals. I just had a new tank installed about 3-4 years ago. I’m surprised it’s doing this already.
As for fuel line I wanted to bypass that plastic connector valve. Any suggestions as to what I should put in the hole to prevent chaffing?

Thanks guys.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Another stranded Vanagon -- Won't start Reply with quote

vanaglobal wrote:

Steve: Can I just use that gas tester from some gas out of the bleeder valve or does it need to be submerged in the tank?

As for fuel line I wanted to bypass that plastic connector valve. Any suggestions as to what I should put in the hole to prevent chaffing?

Thanks guys.

Gas floats on top of fuel and the fuel line to the pump is on the bottom of the tank.
So you have to see what is in the bottom of the tank.
aHEM. Due to traumatic social embarrassment I feel compelled to edit this post.
EDIT:Gas floats on top of water.

You can take a 1-1/2" to 2" piece of tubing and carefully cut a straight line lengthwise so it splits open. Remove the fuel line from hole in the firewall and then slip the hose you split and slip it on the metal of the firewall below the hole in the firewall. This will give protection from the edge of the metal. Then use a brass double sided hose barb to join the fuel lines together without the plastic bit.
Then use zip-ty's to secure the fuel line against the hose you put under the hole in the firewall. Make an "x" around the fuel line by zip-tying through the hole. The "x" will keep the fuel line straight. Make it tight so there is no movement to prevent chaffing.[/b]

Last edited by Steve M. on Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Another stranded Vanagon -- Won't start Reply with quote

If you clean the rotor with fine sandpaper in the center and the end it will work better until you get a new one.

Take a common flat blade screwdriver and you can gently scrape the 4 brass contacts inside the distributor cap clean.
If it is not cracked you can still use it as well.
Not as good as new, but will work for now.

Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Another stranded Vanagon -- Won't start Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:

Gas floats on top of fuel and the fuel line to the pump is on the bottom of the tank.
I'm thinking you meant to say that "Gas floats on top of water" Cool
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Another stranded Vanagon -- Won't start Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:
Steve M. wrote:

Social embarrassment # 8,991 ! 🤔🤬😁 I obviously need more coffee!

MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Another stranded Vanagon -- Won't start Reply with quote

Water would collect in the fuel filter. Empty it into a glass jar blowing on the “outlet” of the filter. Report what comes out. Short of a jar, dump it on the ground and water will appear as “droplets” as the gas evaporates away.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Another stranded Vanagon -- Won't start Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
Jake de Villiers wrote:
Steve M. wrote:

No big deal, Steve. It was a good post.

I'm not sure why you didn't simply edit the sentence rather than adding a hair shirt in bold...
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Another stranded Vanagon -- Won't start Reply with quote

vanaglobal wrote:

I’ll start with the distributor cap and rotor because it’s the easiest. Hopefully I’ll at least be able to sputter to another parking spot if I have to.

Mark: As for the distributor cap I think it just pried out. Yes wires are shit. I’ll get to them. Something else always comes up lol.

After that I’ll do fuel lines and gas tank seals. I just had a new tank installed about 3-4 years ago. I’m surprised it’s doing this already.

Thanks guys.

Todays replacement rubber is crap.
But we really don't know why you are smelling gas, just guessing.
The seals that will introduce water are on top of the expansion tanks in each wheel well.
Way easier than dropping a tank!
Only you can find the source of the fuel smell.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Another stranded Vanagon -- Won't start Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:
Steve M. wrote:
Jake de Villiers wrote:
Steve M. wrote:

No big deal, Steve. It was a good post.

I'm not sure why you didn't simply edit the sentence rather than adding a hair shirt in bold...

The day I stop laughing at myself is a far worse day! 😁

4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Another stranded Vanagon -- Won't start Reply with quote

The spark plug burn area is a nice brown. When it was running it looked like it was running well, no oil in the cylinders, etc. I'd sand the contacts on the rotor and distributor as suggested, but I wouldn't hold much hope there. I've seen much worse running just fine. I would also sand all your grounds, that big clump of them in the leak picture. Take the bolt out and sand all of them and put them back. Probably not it either, but it's best to just start hitting all the bases.

I would check fuel pressure. You can rent a gauge from autozone/advance. Or buy one off amazon for $25.

How are your o2 sensor wires? I would check on them. There are 2 connections.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: