Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How can I undo the slave cylinder line?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:55 am    Post subject: How can I undo the slave cylinder line? Reply with quote

I am replacing the slave cylinder line with a new braided line. It is leaking near the slave cylinder.

The nut at the other side is seized. I have the right tools but cannot for the life of me undo the nut.

Any ideas on how to loosen it? I already put some WD-40 on it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: How can I undo the slave cylinder line? Reply with quote

since you have a new line, you could heat it up smokin' hot with a MAP gas torch and it should come apart. it will ruin the plastic line, the line will start on fire and drip flaming/smoking brake fluid all over.

i couldn't get mine apart, the line was rusty enough where it broke so i spliced in 1/4" NiCu line a ways back under the line and ran that to the slave, making a compliance loop to absorb engine rocking.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: How can I undo the slave cylinder line? Reply with quote

Do you have a 3/8 impact gun? If so, I’d cut the hose, heat the fitting with a torch, and buzz it off with a 6 point socket holding the line nut super tight with flat jaw vice grips. That should do it.

Or, carefully cut the nut end off with the tool of your choice.
revolution337
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: How can I undo the slave cylinder line? Reply with quote

Vice grips can usually get a better hold on either of the nuts, especially if they are rounded.

I have a specialty vise grip for exactly this purpose. It has saved me a lot of headaches.

https://www.amazon.com/Tools-VISE-GRIP-Locking-Wrench-Cutter/dp/B00004SBBD

Best case it comes loose and you are good to go. Worst case, the nut may be seized to the hard line, and will twist the hard line with it. In that case, you may also need to replace the hard line.
2000 BMW Z3 roadster
-Mark
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: How can I undo the slave cylinder line? Reply with quote

I’m on my way to Home Depot to get a big set of wise grips.
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: How can I undo the slave cylinder line? Reply with quote

Wyze grips slips as well. Got it as tight as I could. It will not open.

Is there a way to cut the mental line and put a new fitting at the end?
a2wolfsburggli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I undo the slave cylinder line? Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udeoSS7Iqos

Past: '09 CC 3.6L 4motion "R36 wannabe" | '02 Audi TT "ALMS Edition" | '84 Jetta GLI with Autotech Supercharger | '89 Helios Jetta GLI 16v's (x2) | '95.5 URS6 | and the list goes on.

Never underestimate the entertainment value of OCD overruling Common Sense
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I undo the slave cylinder line? Reply with quote

I’d do everything thing to avoid cutting the hardline. Use the grips on the hardline hex to hold it secure. The part to sacrifice is the hose end. Once the hose is gone, you can get a socket on the fitting.
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I undo the slave cylinder line? Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
I’d do everything thing to avoid cutting the hardline. Use the grips on the hardline hex to hold it secure. The part to sacrifice is the hose end. Once the hose is gone, you can get a socket on the fitting.

Nothing worked. Even wise grips as tight as I could get them on the nut.

I’m thinking of cutting the hard line right in front of the nut and then putting a new nut on and flaring it again.

Any idea what kind of flare it is? The thread is 12x 1.5 I believe.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I undo the slave cylinder line? Reply with quote

I think you are misunderstanding me. The hardline fitting needs to be held stationary in this case. You need to unscrew the plastic hose fitting off the hardline fitting. Cutting the plastic hose at the fitting let’s you get a 6 point socket on the hose end. It sounds like you don’t have torches or a small impact gun. A long ratchet with the 6 point socket will likely break the hose end loose.

If you cut the hardline, there won’t be the room to get a nut on there and flare it with a bubble flaring tool that you likely don’t own if you don’t have an impact gun or torches for heat.

But by all means let us know how it goes if you cut the hardline.
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I undo the slave cylinder line? Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
I think you are misunderstanding me. The hardline fitting needs to be held stationary in this case. You need to unscrew the plastic hose fitting off the hardline fitting. Cutting the plastic hose at the fitting let’s you get a 6 point socket on the hose end. It sounds like you don’t have torches or a small impact gun. A long ratchet with the 6 point socket will likely break the hose end loose.

If you cut the hardline, there won’t be the room to get a nut on there and flare it with a bubble flaring tool that you likely don’t own if you don’t have an impact gun or torches for heat.

But by all means let us know how it goes if you cut the hardline.

I understand how it all works. My issue is the 12mm nut on the hard metal line got rounded. I can get a grip on the 14mm nut which is on the plastic line.

so the metal line is spinning no matter what tool I used. Brake line wrench, wise grips etc.

In the picture below, the tool farther away from us is spinning on the nut. The closer tool got a perfect grip.

Here's what I want to do.I just need to know what kind of fitting is at the end and what kind of flare. Maybe someone here knows.

DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I undo the slave cylinder line? Reply with quote

VW uses the DIN/ISO flare. take your new hose to NAPA and find which size, like M12, fits the end of the hose.

the line you've drawn isn't enough room to install a fitting and flare the tube. you'll have to go further in the middle of the van, cut the line, put in a coupler, and extend the new line back thru the frame with the new end already on it to mate to the hose. the advantage of doing this is that you'll replace the section of line that has gone thru the frame grommet, which rubs off the protective coating and the steel line then rusts. use a NiCu line and rust is not an issue.

good info on flares:
http://www.fedhillusa.com/?page=flare

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I undo the slave cylinder line? Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
VW uses the DIN/ISO flare. take your new hose to NAPA and find which size, like M12, fits the end of the hose.

the line you've drawn isn't enough room to install a fitting and flare the tube. you'll have to go further in the middle of the van, cut the line, put in a coupler, and extend the new line back thru the frame with the new end already on it to mate to the hose. the advantage of doing this is that you'll replace the section of line that has gone thru the frame grommet, which rubs off the protective coating and the steel line then rusts. use a NiCu line and rust is not an issue.

good info on flares:
http://www.fedhillusa.com/?page=flare

I can pull extra line through. It has some bends and I can get more out of the hole so I can flare it properly. I ordered a tool from Amazon and some fittings.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I undo the slave cylinder line? Reply with quote

Napa also sells various lengths of brake line with the proper metric ends. You might be able to replace that entire hard line leading to the next fitting up front.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I undo the slave cylinder line? Reply with quote

Take a dremmel tool and cut the hose end end to end a few times. You can then likely get it off. Use vice grips to hold the rounded tube nut while you thread your braided hose on.
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I undo the slave cylinder line? Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Take a dremmel tool and cut the hose end end to end a few times. You can then likely get it off. Use vice grips to hold the rounded tube nut while you thread your braided hose on.

Right now I put a fuel hose clamp on the end near the slave that was leaking. We'll see if that stops the leak.

The next step will be to cut the end of the metal line and put a new fitting there. Hopefully I got the right fitting.

That's the fitting I ordered.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BN2WC2Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the tool.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WLK7S2F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I undo the slave cylinder line? Reply with quote

One of these is handy for getting a straight cut needed for proper flare. [url] https://www.amazon.com/RIDGID-32975-Quarters-Tubin...sc=1[/url]
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I undo the slave cylinder line? Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
One of these is handy for getting a straight cut needed for proper flare. [url] https://www.amazon.com/RIDGID-32975-Quarters-Tubin...sc=1[/url]

Yes. I have one.
Georgia Cracker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: How can I undo the slave cylinder line? Reply with quote

If it's not too late...............WD40 is not good for breaking things loose. Try a 50/50 mix of acetone and cheap ATF. Let it sit overnight then put a bit more on. You might get it loose then.
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I undo the slave cylinder line? Reply with quote

Well, sumbitch is cut. Tomorrow, we’re flaring.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: