Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'74 Super Beetle autostick hoses
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rusty_74_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:07 am    Post subject: '74 Super Beetle autostick hoses Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I have a 74 SB autostick that I have been working on the last couple of years. I have the engine out for a refresh and clean and I'm close to getting it back in in the next few weeks. One thing I needed to take care of before that are the vacuum hoses for the autostick (clutch servo, control valve). Originals are in bad shape so no brainer they need replaced. I know those hoses are 12mm ID but do I really need braided hoses? I'm on a serious budget and my main goal is to just get this back on road for a bit of fun and learn some stuff along the way. Is there any really difference of braided hose verse a rubber hose with the same ID or are the braided hoses an absolute must have?
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: '74 Super Beetle autostick hoses Reply with quote

Overbraided hoses aren't necessary, but you do want to ensure the hose you use is reinforced or somewhat thick-walled. Using hose that is too thin-walled or soft can result in them collapsing due to vacuum. Hose suitable for brake boosters would be a good idea.
rusty_74_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: '74 Super Beetle autostick hoses Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
Overbraided hoses aren't necessary, but you do want to ensure the hose you use is reinforced or somewhat thick-walled. Using hose that is too thin-walled or soft can result in them collapsing due to vacuum. Hose suitable for brake boosters would be a good idea.

Thank you. Do you think a thick-walled fuel line would be ok?
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 Super Beetle autostick hoses Reply with quote

Possibly. Worst case, it doesn't work and you have to replace the hoses again.
rusty_74_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 Super Beetle autostick hoses Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
Possibly. Worst case, it doesn't work and you have to replace the hoses again.

ok, thank you!
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 Super Beetle autostick hoses Reply with quote

Here is what you want

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fra-810008
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rusty_74_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 Super Beetle autostick hoses Reply with quote

Tom K. wrote:
Here is what you want

thank you!
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 Super Beetle autostick hoses Reply with quote

rusty_74_bug wrote:
Tom K. wrote:
Here is what you want

thank you!

I would think the Fragola hose would work, but Pelican Parts has an OEM style replacement hose. The “1” quantity is a meter.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/550623090M2...SVSI=10438
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: