Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

GoWesty rear discs -- experiences?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Surferboy120
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty rear discs -- experiences? Reply with quote

In case it helps I did this swap as well and the emergency brake holds my 19'
Ranger bass boat on steep ramps just fine. I was nervous the first few times so I made my wife sit in the driver seat while I unloaded. I got over that fast.

With my Subi 2.5 and subi 5 speed and now this rear brake upgrade I am beyond content with this van. I have put a good 4-5000 miles on the brakes now and they function as they should.
space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty rear discs -- experiences? Reply with quote

VicVan wrote:
I have a question regarding non-stock brakes. One thing preventing me from pulling the trigger is availibility of parts.
If my brakes break down, I order a Vanagon part. Maybe not available right away, but it is clearly identified and will eventually make its way to me. On a custom or semi-custom system (Audi A4 caliper, modified caliper holder, VW Jetta disc (I'm just throwing random names out there, I haven't looked into the specifics), doesn't it make the van harder to fix, especially by a garage?

My parts are off the shelf or at least a rock auto order
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty rear discs -- experiences? Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
What any owner should do if they have upgraded their vehicle with modifications to or replacing OEM parts is to keep a logbook in the vehicle that states what parts were used in the upgrade and what the parts are from - donor vehicle particulars/ Make / Model / Year and the exact part numbers that were used. This should include installation notes like torgue spec's and the like

Just like keeping the critical part numbers such as cv joints, spark plug type, distributor cap etc., etc. for road trips you as the mechanic/owner need it as well as down the road if you sell the vehicle. It is the cars history and should stay with the vehicle

Most here don’t pull wrenches , they write checks, so they don’t get good verifiable information like this, let alone keep it
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty rear discs -- experiences? Reply with quote

I designed an app to do this because I wasn't impressed with any of the current offerings. I figure we all have our phones, it would be better to use our phones to log this data and then we can have it at all times as well. But it died at the design stage, if there any android developers out there that want to collaborate and make a better wrenching logbook, send me a PM and let's make it happen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty rear discs -- experiences? Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
I designed an app to do this because I wasn't impressed with any of the current offerings. I figure we all have our phones, it would be better to use our phones to log this data and then we can have it at all times as well. But it died at the design stage, if there any android developers out there that want to collaborate and make a better wrenching logbook, send me a PM and let's make it happen.

Phone and now that synchronizing between devices is working much better to be able to have one Log that you can input into and it comes across to a file on a tablet or computer would really be great.
I'm using a "memo" app just to log info and it is working, but it could be much better.
I hope someone steps up to this challenge.
Good on you for trying. This is how we got the "VAN ALERT" app. Idea Idea Idea Still, nothing beats a pencil and small notebook at times.

Abscate wrote:

Most here don’t pull wrenches , they write checks, so they don’t get good verifiable information like this, let alone keep it

Cheers to us that still do!

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty rear discs -- experiences? Reply with quote

space wrote:
VicVan wrote:
I have a question regarding non-stock brakes. One thing preventing me from pulling the trigger is availibility of parts.
If my brakes break down, I order a Vanagon part. Maybe not available right away, but it is clearly identified and will eventually make its way to me. On a custom or semi-custom system (Audi A4 caliper, modified caliper holder, VW Jetta disc (I'm just throwing random names out there, I haven't looked into the specifics), doesn't it make the van harder to fix, especially by a garage?

Space,
What rotor did you use? I was under the impression that the Go-Westy kit used a custom rotor that didn't need to have the hub diameter cut down?

I am just curious, because I have already done the EV rear upgrade with EV caliper, rotor, and the Epytec bracket - I already had a cut down hub from a previous rear brake setup that was no good.
letsrig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty rear discs -- experiences? Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me what the GW instructions mean when they talk about a "pin" in their assembly instructions? I do not see this 'pin' in my Bentley schematics (42.2, 42.4)

From GoWesty Instructions:
"Once you have secured the adaptor hardware, remove the original pivot pin from the drums. This pin is frequently seized and will require a torch, some rust cleaner and a hammer and drift punch, or some combination of these tools. Once you have freed the pin, clean it up and apply some anti-seize to pin before driving it back into the bearing housing from the backside with the adapter installled."
mackaymanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty rear discs -- experiences? Reply with quote

letsrig wrote:
Can anyone tell me what the GW instructions mean when they talk about a "pin" in their assembly instructions? I do not see this 'pin' in my Bentley schematics (42.2, 42.4)

From GoWesty Instructions:
"Once you have secured the adaptor hardware, remove the original pivot pin from the drums. This pin is frequently seized and will require a torch, some rust cleaner and a hammer and drift punch, or some combination of these tools. Once you have freed the pin, clean it up and apply some anti-seize to pin before driving it back into the bearing housing from the backside with the adapter installled."

I think they mean the pin shown here, it is more a locating dowel as nothing "pivots" around it.

space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty rear discs -- experiences? Reply with quote

Franklinstower wrote:
space wrote:
VicVan wrote:

Space,
What rotor did you use? I was under the impression that the Go-Westy kit used a custom rotor that didn't need to have the hub diameter cut down?

I am just curious, because I have already done the EV rear upgrade with EV caliper, rotor, and the Epytec bracket - I already had a cut down hub from a previous rear brake setup that was no good.

Sorry for the late reply:

audi 8e0 615 601 p
FWIW Im not using the GW kit
T
Rear discs
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty rear discs -- experiences? Reply with quote

mackaymanx wrote:

I think they mean the pin shown here, it is more a locating dowel as nothing "pivots" around it.

[Pic]

That's exactly what they mean.👍🏻

Just finished installing GW's disc kit yesterday. Test drive and pad bed-in occurring today. Will report back later.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
letsrig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty rear discs -- experiences? Reply with quote

I am in the middle of my GoWesty rear disc kit install and here are some highlights thus far.

Parking brake -
I have a stock BA6 Eberspacher Gas Heater. For those not familiar, it is quite a large camper heating system that feeds off the gas tank and is anchored under the belly of the camper. There is a large electrical connection to the BA6 heater that is in direct path of GoWesty's proprietary parking brake return spring. GoWesty has not encountered this issue in development and had no suggestions for a workaround. I am currently working on a solution to this. Any other BA6 owners who installed this kit?

Wheel stud length -
The addition of the rotor shortens the available length of the wheel studs. The shorter wheel studs make me nervous but there may be no scientific reason to be nervous. GoWesty claims all their wheels work fine and i have 16" GoWesty wheels purchased in 2012.

Slider door -
The addition of the disc rotors, as evident from less wheel stud available, pushes the wheels slightly out and my slider door now rubs the tire just enough to impede its progress to move freely but nothing major. Not sure if this will become more of an issue when camping on uneven ground. For reference, I have Toyo Open Country AT III tires in a 215 65/R16 (which I am loving). My alignment is good.

Rotors -
Both rotors are surprisingly untrue. Unless it is my hubs? I have to look more into this because i did not check how true the rotors were before putting them on. Unsurprisingly, i have brake pads rubbing that doesn't seem to go away. Squawking sounds emanate when starting to roll off intersections. Maybe i can push the pistons out more?

Instructions -
There are kit hardware quantity errors in the instructions that can cause some confusion as well as two different torque values listed for caliper bracket to adaptor.

Performance -
Power seems the same as the drum brakes but i have only driven enough to bed the pads. Parking brake not installed yet, so cannot report on its function yet. To be continued.
steveo9007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty rear discs -- experiences? Reply with quote

I have just completed a rear disc conversion using the Epytec Adapters, and was pretty straight forward, i have my own write up on the vanagon section, my hubs are machined so i can use discs from other VW's instead of going to Gowesty to use theirs and who knows even if they will still be available in years to come, i have tested the handbrake so far on a 45 degree hill and it held all on its own without any issues. So a well worth upgrade i think.

[Moderator note: Please continue the discussion in the aforementioned write-up https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=753183 , so as not to take this thread about GoWesty's rear disc conversion kit off-topic.]
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty rear discs -- experiences? Reply with quote

steveo9007 wrote:
I have just completed a rear disc conversion using the Epytec Adapters, and was pretty straight forward

i need someone to smuggle me some of their adapters... since they wont ship here Sad

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
steveo9007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty rear discs -- experiences? Reply with quote

valvecovergasket wrote:
steveo9007 wrote:
I have just completed a rear disc conversion using the Epytec Adapters, and was pretty straight forward

i need someone to smuggle me some of their adapters... since they wont ship here Sad

these guys ship to USA no problems and similar to Epytec design but cheaper in price, he has just posted 2 sets to the usa

https://www.cbauto.co.uk/rear-disk-conversion-kit
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty rear discs -- experiences? Reply with quote

valvecovergasket wrote:
steveo9007 wrote:

contact user a914622 he has brackets and is in Everett for less than the cost to have the epytec brackets shipped here (if you could). His brackets are a piece of Art - Fully Zinc'd and gives you caliper options.

send me a pmail if you want more info about his brackets and the epytecs I had sent here.

Last edited by Franklinstower on Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty rear discs -- experiences? Reply with quote

valvecovergasket wrote:
steveo9007 wrote:

Options stateside:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2355247

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2413059

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty rear discs -- experiences? Reply with quote

awesome! thanks guys

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
letsrig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty rear discs -- experiences? Reply with quote

letsrig wrote:
I am in the middle of my GoWesty rear disc kit install and here are some highlights thus far.

Slider door -
The addition of the disc rotors, as evident from less wheel stud available, pushes the wheels slightly out and my slider door now rubs the tire just enough to impede its progress to move freely but nothing major. Not sure if this will become more of an issue when camping on uneven ground. For reference, I have Toyo Open Country AT III tires in a 215 65/R16 (which I am loving). My alignment is good.

Anyone's slider door rubbing their tire? Anyone with pad rubbing issues?
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty rear discs -- experiences? Reply with quote

letsrig wrote:

No rubbing with my new 15" Coopers. No rubbing on my parents' van; there's a 1/2" clearance with their BFG A/T tires (their van has had the GW discs for over a year now).

Pad rubbing: There is one that had a tendency to stick on mine; Dad backed off the e-brake cables a touch and it hasn't been sticking since.

As for the performance, no complaints and they're performing better than the drums; the van actually feels like it's going to stop. Haven't done the e-brake test yet... might get a chance next week.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
letsrig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty rear discs -- experiences? Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
letsrig wrote:

No rubbing with my new 15" Coopers. No rubbing on my parents' van; there's a 1/2" clearance with their BFG A/T tires (their van has had the GW discs for over a year now).

Pad rubbing: There is one that had a tendency to stick on mine; Dad backed off the e-brake cables a touch and it hasn't been sticking since.

As for the performance, no complaints and they're performing better than the drums; the van actually feels like it's going to stop. Haven't done the e-brake test yet... might get a chance next week.

Interesting. Are the tire widths a 215?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: