Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Carpet
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:33 pm    Post subject: New Carpet Reply with quote

I’m finally getting my carpeting in, and it’s not a lot of fun.

I installed Killmat and Dynaliner sound deadener (a waterproof kind of spongy stuff) on the back parcel tray and the vertical area above it. I also did the same on the area where the rear seat pushes against. The wheel wells got Killmat only.

I’m not that happy with the results, but it’s okay, I guess.

I ran out of glue and still need to glue in the two lower pieces, but I included them just to finish off the photo.

TMI Oatmeal is not very forgiving when you do the wheel wells. I blended out the wrinkles, but where they were, the carpet seems to open up and show what I can best describe as a “slit”, where the carpet fibers are no longer bunched up, so to speak. Enlarge the wheel-well pics to see what I’m talking about—especially the lower front area of the left wheel well.

I got a quart of glue from JBugs, but it was missing about an inch of glue when I opened the car. Ran out in no time. Although, I have two cans of 3M 90 that was supposedly mailed last Thursday, but it still hasn’t arrived. When I get these cans, I’ll rearrange the two lower pieces, cut a slit in the lowest one, then put the parcel-tray flap over it and into its slotted groove, like it’s supposed to be. I also have to clean up the headliner material above the wheel well carpet.

Here’s are a few pics, and as I continue, I’ll show more photos.

Tim

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Richard O'Brien

Last edited by Tim Donahoe on Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
creative native Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: New Carpet Reply with quote

I think your carpet is looking great, Tim. I was not so brave and just let the upholstery shop handle it. The color is awesome.
carlos_magnum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: New Carpet Reply with quote

The new carpet looks nice.

My rig has Dynamat soundener. It is a bit pricey, but works fine.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: New Carpet Reply with quote

Tim, I think it looks pretty good considering how badly TMI cuts those wheel well pieces. Those slits you have on the driver side are exactly what I had problems with. Like I mentioned to you separately, I tried to do the cuts but frankly that did not work out well.

I used the Permatex glue spray. I found it worked better than the 3M 90.

Did you figure out how to get the tunnel carpet around the seat adjusters?

Víctor

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: New Carpet Reply with quote

Victor, I haven’t gotten to the tunnel piece yet. I ran out of brush-on glue. I’m going to do the slit from the bottom, like you did.

So, what was wrong with the 3M 90? That’s what’s in the mail (lost?).

It’s obvious that the TMI carpet’s thread count is adequate for flat surfaces, but when going around curves—like the wheel wells—the carpet fibers really show their lack of plushness. Thus, the reasonable price.

Regardless, although it won’t be show quality, I think it will be fine.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: New Carpet Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:

Regardless, although it won’t be show quality, I think it will be fine.

Tim

Don’t be so sure. I have the oatmeal TMI carpet in my Ghia held in with 90. I just won first place for Custom Ghia at Bug-A-Paluza. So there’s hope.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1968BUGMAN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: New Carpet Reply with quote

Its all a pain now but it will be so much quieter. I did Kilmat, and am planning to do Dynaliner, at some point I will get new carpet as well. It all makes a huge difference to road noise.
Installing a Stereo Into a Classic VW | https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9502179#9502179
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: New Carpet Reply with quote

Road noise yes. Engine noise? Maybe a little bit. Then again I tend to keep my foot in it.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: New Carpet Reply with quote

Jefffrey, I’ve driven many VW Beetles, and this Sun Bug is the noisiest one I’ve ever known. Engine noise in particular. This despite having a stock 1600 DP, and a stock muffler.

The parcel shelf vertical sheet metal had original sound deadening, but it had separated from the metal, and just under the seat, there was no sound deadening at all. I’m not looking for quiet, I just want to keep the racket down to normal Beetle decibels.

While waiting for the spray-on glue (still in transit), I’ve started the Killmat on the floors. I may even have enough to recover the rear quarter area.

Hopefully, I get some noise reduction.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: New Carpet Reply with quote

Tim, almost all the noise vibrates through the firewall and the luggage shelf. The pan is more road noise.

Strongly suggest you do from the lower luggage shelf up to the rear window! Worth every penny!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: New Carpet Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Jefffrey, I’ve driven many VW Beetles, and this Sun Bug is the noisiest one I’ve ever known. Engine noise in particular. This despite having a stock 1600 DP, and a stock muffler.

Did you or a PO happen remove some or all of the “death foam” in rear quarters? If so, imagine the engine noise would be a lot more pronounced with that gone.

Another suggestion for noise reduction is to get (or fabricate) one of those shelves that goes between the top of rear seat and window ledge. I made one out of some thin wooden paneling, and covered it with carpet padding and felt. It reduces the engine drone substantially, especially at moderate speeds and leisurely highway cruising — very easy to hear the radio, hold conversation at normal voice levels with other passengers, etc.

baldessariclan -- often in error, never in doubt...
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: New Carpet Reply with quote

Jimbo, in that area, I did put a layer of Killmat sound deadener, as well as Dynamat sound insulation on top of that.

I also still have my death foam, so no noise from that area. Apparently, my death foam seals were applied properly back in the day.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
alikatcraig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: New Carpet Reply with quote

In my old super I put in a parcel shelf made from 1/2" ply covered in felt carpet and stuffed the inside of the back seat upright with 4" of foam. This after replacing the carpet and adding sound deadener. You can also fit strips of Dynamat etc between the ribs behind the main tar board in the engine compartment.
1973 Standard Bug
1998 Mexican Bug
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: