Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Removing rear gate on Sinka
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:52 pm    Post subject: Removing rear gate on Sinka Reply with quote

The previous owner in Italy used my single cab as a work truck. (Imagine that!) He had some sort of rack installed that required him to drill four holes into the rear gate. I'm having the holes fixed via welding, etc.

Should I have any concerns about the shop removing the rear gate to do it?
bajabones
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: removing rear gate sinka Reply with quote

No nothing to it
Solid shaft
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
turbotype1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: removing rear gate sinka Reply with quote

I shouldn't be a problem at all.... Just a couple clips and pins .
Italy likes their racks... Mine was drilled for a rack too, Even had a roof rack on it at one time.

Pete
This new fad of get it the lowest, or run it with the worst looks, (patina) isn't cool, it's for the hey everyone look at me crowd, i'm driving a beat down ratty, unsafe, VW, how cool am I ???...your not....

Pissing off the purists since 1997

Wanted: Boyd Motors plate frame

57 Turbo Oval Sliding rag
67 13 window delux walk-thru- now 21
64 all original for the misses
83 Sinka m-TDI diesel
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing rear gate on Sinka Reply with quote

If it has not been removed in a bleem I would try and push the pins out, it is common for them to be rusted in place. That's something Id want to do myself.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:58 am    Post subject: Re: Removing rear gate on Sinka Reply with quote

16CVs wrote:
If it has not been removed in a bleem I would try and push the pins out, it is common for them to be rusted in place. That's something Id want to do myself.

That's what happened to me. All the pins were seized in place. Long story but I had to end up using a press to get the pins out. I replaced them with stainless pins.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing rear gate on Sinka Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Given the answers received, I'm okay with the shop doing it -- especially over me doing it. This shop is not VW-specific much less knowing about Vanagon-era pickups. They do very nice work including for my Thing. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't inviting something evil unknown to me but known to this community. Thanks again!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: