Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gauge Lights Too Dim: Best Aftermarket Option?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thebigben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:59 pm    Post subject: Gauge Lights Too Dim: Best Aftermarket Option? Reply with quote

Hey all!

Picking up my Vanagon tomorrow after nearly 4 months of work at Westy World -- beyond excited.

They told me today that the lights in my gauge are really dim, and that it's because of the blue printed circuit foil disintegrating (they tried replacing the bulbs).

I'm between three options:

1. Using my multimeter to track down the break and, if it's a broken trace along the foil, repair with conductive paint. (Cheapest option, but definitely a short-term fix!). Would also inspect harness of course.

2. GoWesty Repair Kit https://www.gowesty.com/product/-/24189/replacement-kit-for-printed-circuit-foil-?v=

3. Vanagon Repair Kit https://www.vanagon.org/products/instrument-cluster-foil-repair-kit

One reason I'm considering 1 is that I'd rather not lose the warm glow of the incandescent bulbs.

Thoughts/experience with either? Or are they equivalent?

'85 2WD Westy w/ Peloquin TBD + 2.2 Subi (Kurt Vannegut)
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauge Lights Too Dim: Best Aftermarket Option? Reply with quote

All I can say is the conductive paint repair is a total PITA, at least for me, and the vanagon.org kit is affordable, easy to install, reliable/functional and simple to repair.

Also, I know you were working with the pros at Westy world, but 100% sure dimmer switch is good?
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauge Lights Too Dim: Best Aftermarket Option? Reply with quote

Option 1 is cheaper. At least test the voltage at the bulbs, and clean the grounds.
Other cheap option: rewire the light bulbs directly from the connector
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauge Lights Too Dim: Best Aftermarket Option? Reply with quote

thebigben wrote:
Hey all!

They told me today that the lights in my gauge are really dim, and that it's because of the blue printed circuit foil disintegrating (they tried replacing the bulbs).

So the idea is that the foil carries enough current to complete the circuit but not enough to burn the light at full brightness? That seems fishy but I wouldn't know for certain.

My first step would be to use a jumper to the base of the lamp to augment the foil to see if it gets any brighter.

I'm fine with the dim incandescents because I like the warmth. Some folks love the 6000k bright white LEDs but I don't need gauges that bright.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauge Lights Too Dim: Best Aftermarket Option? Reply with quote

Step 1 is to check they didn't bump the dimmer all the way down.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauge Lights Too Dim: Best Aftermarket Option? Reply with quote

On Mercedes, I solder a bridge across the dimmer posts, since I don't think I've ever once turned down incandescent dash lights.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauge Lights Too Dim: Best Aftermarket Option? Reply with quote

I installed the Gowesty kit on our westy - pretty happy with it, a bit more “solid” than the Vanagon.org kit which I installed in my diesel doka. But they both have worked well - the LED’s are brighter.

But what I found I really liked was the plasma gauge setup - http://t3technique.com/electrical/plasma-gauge-set/

Install requires some major cluster disassembly (download and read the instructions before buying!) and can be easily damaged on install (lost fuel gauge section on my doka a few months in) but makes it pretty easy to see everything you need to see with LED’s dimmed as low as they can go.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Gauge Lights Too Dim: Best Aftermarket Option? Reply with quote

My issue was rusted reflectors above the cluster bulbs. I removed them and used my baking soda blaster to clean them up. You get a bit of rust prevention from the residue of the baking soda, so I haven’t repainted those reflectors at all.
Made a big difference in total brightness across the whole face of the gauges. Before, it was like a shadow falling across the lower half of the gauges as the light output got feeble further away from the bulbs.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Gauge Lights Too Dim: Best Aftermarket Option? Reply with quote

thebigben wrote:

One reason I'm considering 1 is that I'd rather not lose the warm glow of the incandescent bulbs.

It seems like 99% of LED bulbs available are 'cool white', which gives you that bright white (almost blue) look. I'm like you- I much prefer the more 'yellow' look of the old incandescents. If you search hard enough, you'll be able to find some 'warm white' bulbs. It takes some searching, but I've been able to find them for both the dash and interior dome lights, and to me it looks 1000x better.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stuzbot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: Gauge Lights Too Dim: Best Aftermarket Option? Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
Step 1 is to check they didn't bump the dimmer all the way down.

That was my immediate first thought.

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
On Mercedes, I solder a bridge across the dimmer posts, since I don't think I've ever once turned down incandescent dash lights.

I usually turn my dimmer down til the gauges are just visible. I find it really distracting when driving at night to have a bright light source at the periphery of my vision, when I'm concentrating on the road ahead.

Mind you, I think my eyes are quite sensitive to glarey light. I usually have my laptop screen brightness on about 3 or 4 dots. The missus has hers on full. Cue lots of fun whenever we want to show each other something on screen...

ME: Turn it down. Jeebus! Where are my welding goggles?

MISSUS: Turn it up. I can't even see the screen!
1992 VW LT35 2,4D [SOLD]
1993 VW LT35 2,4D [SOLD]
1992 VW T3 1,6TD Syncro [SOLD]
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Gauge Lights Too Dim: Best Aftermarket Option? Reply with quote

stuzbot wrote:
I find it really distracting when driving at night to have a bright light source at the periphery of my vision, when I'm concentrating on the road ahead.

Red LEDs help in that regard.
thebigben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Gauge Lights Too Dim: Best Aftermarket Option? Reply with quote

Good thought on the dimmer switch. It might have something to do with it — the lights for the VintageAir controls sporadically turn on or off if i touch the dial whatsoever.

Also noticing that the headlight switch is a bit flaky — sometimes the high beams don’t stick on (I have to hold them on) and the side markers stay on even once I turned the car + headlights off. (But if I flip the switch back and forth, they turn off)

Will take it apart once I get home.

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauge Lights Too Dim: Best Aftermarket Option? Reply with quote

thebigben wrote:
Hey all!

Picking up my Vanagon tomorrow after nearly 4 months of work at Westy World -- beyond excited.

Four months of shop time and all we get is dim dash lights? What about the bumpers, new engine, interior or whatever it was that kept them busy? Very Happy

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
shadetreemech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauge Lights Too Dim: Best Aftermarket Option? Reply with quote

I hear you that it might be the foil.

My dash lights were dim. I replaced them with these:

https://www.gowesty.com/product/bundles-and-kits/23485/led-bulb-kit-for-instrument-cluster-?v=

All better now.

Dan
thebigben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauge Lights Too Dim: Best Aftermarket Option? Reply with quote

my first ever trip report is coming soon — stay tuned 😀

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauge Lights Too Dim: Best Aftermarket Option? Reply with quote

Alaskaberrys wrote:
I installed the Gowesty kit on our westy - pretty happy with it, a bit more “solid” than the Vanagon.org kit which I installed in my diesel doka. But they both have worked well - the LED’s are brighter.

But what I found I really liked was the plasma gauge setup - http://t3technique.com/electrical/plasma-gauge-set/

Install requires some major cluster disassembly (download and read the instructions before buying!) and can be easily damaged on install (lost fuel gauge section on my doka a few months in) but makes it pretty easy to see everything you need to see with LED’s dimmed as low as they can go.

I never knew this instrument face kit existed!
And T3 has it in stock.

The difference is AMAZING in the video......
I often need to study the temperature or fuel gauge for a second to get a reading....... yes, Now that you ask........ I am indeed both old and blind!

the price is more than fair ......
Order placed!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
joyfulpursuit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauge Lights Too Dim: Best Aftermarket Option? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Alaskaberrys wrote:

I never knew this instrument face kit existed!
And T3 has it in stock.

The difference is AMAZING in the video......
I often need to study the temperature or fuel gauge for a second to get a reading....... yes, Now that you ask........ I am indeed both old and blind!

the price is more than fair ......
Order placed!

Dave

You're going to love it.

Here's mine installed:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life - John 3:16
🚐 1987 Westy, EJ22 small car conversion
🚗 1991 e30 325i Sport MTech II coupe
📸 instagram.com/joyfilledpursuit
thebigben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauge Lights Too Dim: Best Aftermarket Option? Reply with quote

https://www.north-westy.com/parts/north-westy-3-gauge-cluster/

another option (but they're out of stock)

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauge Lights Too Dim: Best Aftermarket Option? Reply with quote

thebigben wrote:
https://www.north-westy.com/parts/north-westy-3-gauge-cluster/

another option (but they're out of stock)

Yeah...... $57 to T3 or $1,200 to north westy...... give me a nano second to decide....... Rolling Eyes

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Squidfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauge Lights Too Dim: Best Aftermarket Option? Reply with quote

thebigben wrote:
Good thought on the dimmer switch. It might have something to do with it — the lights for the VintageAir controls sporadically turn on or off if i touch the dial whatsoever.

Also noticing that the headlight switch is a bit flaky — sometimes the high beams don’t stick on (I have to hold them on) and the side markers stay on even once I turned the car + headlights off. (But if I flip the switch back and forth, they turn off)

Will take it apart once I get home.

Chances are your headlight switch is not to blame for the high beams; it is probably the stalk itself. It's amazing how much corrosion builds up on these components; like the side markers and corresponding grounds. The joys of 35 YO project vehicles Cool VW Logo always something to tinker with!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: