Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

clutch management system when does it need to be implemented
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
58ragman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:38 pm    Post subject: clutch management system when does it need to be implemented Reply with quote

got most of the running gear and need to think bout the longivity of the trans.Its gonna be a MENDI so i dont want it to break first round out.

Was told that I may want to invest in a clutch management system.

So iam here on the boards to see what i can come up with.
Who builds such a system
what is the typical cost complete installed with parts
typical time to build install.
turbo motor
1400 lbs total weight with driver
semi street tires no slicks basically whos your daddy tires.

can the system be used for drag then when on the street do not use it

lastly at what point do you need such a system
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch management system when does it need to be implemented Reply with quote

There isn't one answer or one solution or one system. Over the years I have seen all kinds of clutch management systems, or attempts of clutch management. I've seen everything from the Gene Berg Washington anti shocker to air actuated cylinoids connected into the brake & clutch peddles and wired into the delay boxes and ignition systems. I've seen other racers that didn't have any of that stuff on their car win races.

I also feel driving style has a big impact on parts breakage.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: clutch management system when does it need to be implemented Reply with quote

The washington anti shocker makes the clutch slip on every gear change Rolling Eyes
check out 'Muffler Mikes' set up his only works on the launch then is disconnected Wink
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch management system when does it need to be implemented Reply with quote

1. you really need a bunch of HP to break a Mendi... .They are super strong.
I think they can support 800hp easily.

2. First you convert to hydraulic clutch.
Then you make a parallel branch in the line running to the slave.

1 branch will have a line-lock solenoid.
the other branch will have a "directional flow control" valve (needle valve to control flow that only works in one direction). Pretty common from industrial supply houses.

The line-lock is slaved to a micro switch on the shifter so it's only activated when in 1st gear.
The switch closes; Energizes the line lock; forcing fluid thru the flow control valve making clutch release action slower than you foot. You can tweak the flow control to speed up, or slow down the release action.
Once you shift out of 1st, the line-lock opens and allows normal operation for the rest of the gears.

They allow you to control the "hit" when drag racing. And they are very consistent.
jim martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch management system when does it need to be implemented Reply with quote

im all over this and have a system that works and controls hydraulic and air/co2
sorry at work now will get some info up later when at home.
here is a early test from 2017

Link

and more current

Link

KROC head porting services
Dialedinperformance.com
Airspeedparts.com topic http://airspeedparts.com/forums/index.php?topic=914.0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
58ragman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch management system when does it need to be implemented Reply with quote

thanks guys for chiming in to give me an ideal what im up against all sounds good thanks again
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch management system when does it need to be implemented Reply with quote

Tom’s style system is the slickest I know of. You could have a master switch to the controlling micro switch to turn the system completely off for normal street driving. If you are racing in any specific class, check into the rules first. There are rules in certain classes about having devices controlling the release of the clutch for timing purposes, and this may fall under that if the tech inspector doesn’t understand its function.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jim martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch management system when does it need to be implemented Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Tom’s style system is the slickest I know of. You could have a master switch to the controlling micro switch to turn the system completely off for normal street driving. If you are racing in any specific class, check into the rules first. There are rules in certain classes about having devices controlling the release of the clutch for timing purposes, and this may fall under that if the tech inspector doesn’t understand its function.

there is a lot more to it than Toms system , which is the basic point most systems came from .
and no reason ever to turn it off on the street ,this is where a controllable and adjustable system really shines .
I can pull away as smooth as a car with a auto trans . control all 5 gears and make adjustments while sitting in the drivers seat .
Dialedinperformance.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch management system when does it need to be implemented Reply with quote

Have you considered a RLR Rev 6 clutch? Its designed to accomplish what you're after with less complexity https://ronlummusracing.com/product/rev-6-clutch-system-single-disc/
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: clutch management system when does it need to be implemented Reply with quote

jim martin wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

there is a lot more to it than Toms system , which is the basic point most systems came from .
and no reason ever to turn it off on the street ,this is where a controllable and adjustable system really shines .
I can pull away as smooth as a car with a auto trans . control all 5 gears and make adjustments while sitting in the drivers seat .

I thought the entire purpose of the system was to allow a tiny amount of slippage to the clutch when “dumping” it by slowing down its release in a consistent/repeatable manner without having to think about it while you are paying attention the lights on the tree?

None of these conditions apply on the street, so I thought you just used your leg to control how hard the clutch is released?

I understand your first post was when you were at work, but care to elaborate on what “a lot more to it” is?
58ragman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: clutch management system when does it need to be implemented Reply with quote

has anybody used the management system alongside with a rev 6 clutch set up. is this a redundit move Or you can run the rev 6 with a clutch management system.

Ive noticied in a few drag cars that if they are running a clutch management system they are running a Kennedy plate and dual disc

I've noticed that the rev 6 clutch set up in a lot of cars are mechanical clutch cable no cylinder.

Being set up like so can a rev 6 still be set up with CMS since the pedal is not assisted with hydraulic fluid
jim martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: clutch management system when does it need to be implemented Reply with quote

sorry guys away this weekend and this topic has a huge amount of information .
quickly thoe: the rev 6 is not the end all .I know I presently have it and run it and have tested it with and without clutch management .
running the rev6 with my ECMS system in my opinion is now the ultimate system/setup .
I have run multiple single disc set-up and 3 double disc setups ,there has been winners and losers .will get back later
Dialedinperformance.com
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: