Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

stock valve cover limits
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ekacpuc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:09 pm    Post subject: stock valve cover limits Reply with quote

When do the stock valve covers cause issues? I've seen mixed info...

in my search I found where I recommended bolt ons.. I take it back. With the empi covers (C channel) you have to shorten the bolts (should get new ones with a shoulder so O ring can seal) and be careful how much you torque them because they'll tear up the rubber gaskets.

I'd like to take stock valve covers and weld some channels on the inside to help with gasket suck and a couple bent washers on outside to keep branches from poppin the bails off.

I do have CB 1.4 rockers though.. They don't seem like they poke up higher than stock style but its been awhile since Ive had them side by side.. I might have to order a new set of valve covers and while they are cheap I don't wanna order anything I couldn't use.. I saw alum high clearance covers but I'd like to weld washers to the outside and HATE welding alum and honestly havent seen what series aluminum they use anyways.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: stock valve cover limits Reply with quote

The only problem I am aware of is that.....IF high ratio rockers were made correctly, they would not fit under a stock valve cover.
Someday I may need to address this problem.

With the right procedure, and good cork/rubber gaskets, you should have no gasket problems.

Wire brush the valve cover to at least partly bare metal where the gasket sits on, glue it on with some 518, put it on with the other side dry on the head. It will be glued in place nicely.
Needing tabs and thingies to hold the gakset in place is what was needed before adequate glue was invented, or for people who don't use gasket goo, but I do. Better living through chemistry.

518 is not the only type of "adhesive sealant" that can be used, but it's the only one I keep in stock, because it has a long shelf life.
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: stock valve cover limits Reply with quote

Ya I was going to say the same thing. There is nothing wrong with a good german one, just glue the gasket to the cover and that is it.

Bolt-on valve covers are a gimmick, plus the stock ones look way better anyway Twisted Evil
allamaabroad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: stock valve cover limits Reply with quote

The key is using good original German ones. All the repros I've seen suck and have issues that make them impossible to seal. Glue between the V/C and gasket. Get the sealing surface on the head perfectly clean and dry, and make sure the bales are nice and tight.

Bolt ons are shit

2180 TW: CNC Panchitos, Beehives Done Right, Web 163, Ultralight Lifters, 1.3 Rockers, CSP Python, Custom Speeduino EFI Conversion with 40mm Throttle Bodies

Distributors are lame

I have a really hard time leaving things alone...

Innovative and affordable engine management systems and EFI conversions for your Vintage VW
Visit https://debbiesaircooled.com/
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: stock valve cover limits Reply with quote

I totally agree, if one guy had trouble with valve covers it is me with the T-4 covers.

Stock original are the best, just make sure they when placed on a flat surface they do not rock from from side to side. I like a glass table .

You can try to just put them on the head with only a gasket and if you drive away and no leaks great . For me with the T-4 covers I just glue them on with gasket seal. Screw the fact you will have to scrape the glue off next time you adjust your valves.

After market parts are getting so bad, a few years ago I bought a set of after market TRIPLE Chrome Plated 74 bumpers. After the first rain they started to rust ( triple chrome plated ) Ha.

Later I bought a set of 45 year old used original bumper, no rust and one weighed as much as the two after market bumpers.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ekacpuc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: stock valve cover limits Reply with quote

Thanks for the input.

I saw some guys running 1.4s with stock covers but not many. I'll dig around and see if I can find my german set. If I cant I suppose I'll get clip ons from CB or something so I know they'll clear.

I forgot I used sealant on one side. I was worried even running tacks that I'd warp a set of covers.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: stock valve cover limits Reply with quote

You should be able to run stock covers with CB rockers (1.4’s).

I have a can of 3M spray adhesive that I’ve had for years. Spray it on side of the gasket, let it get tacky, and stick it on the VC and install.

Berg sells used/original VC’s that have been powdercoated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chip Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: stock valve cover limits Reply with quote

ekacpuc wrote:
Thanks for the input.

I saw some guys running 1.4s with stock covers but not many. I'll dig around and see if I can find my german set. If I cant I suppose I'll get clip ons from CB or something so I know they'll clear.

I forgot I used sealant on one side. I was worried even running tacks that I'd warp a set of covers.

I've run stock covers and scat 1.4:1 rockers lifting darn near .600 before and didn't have clearance issues. That's good enough for anything I'll ever build.
k@rlos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: stock valve cover limits Reply with quote

I ran stock covers with 1.4’s, my engine builder has an fk89, 1.4’s and stock covers without issue
stealth67vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: stock valve cover limits Reply with quote

I run stock German on everything I possibly can. My current low 12 second 2276 with Web 86c and CB 1.4s (.560 lift) clear with no problem. I have run stock covers on Comp Eliminators heads with Pauter 1.4s and .600 valve lift but had to dimple them at the adjuster screw to clear. I will run stock covers on my next engine that will use 48 x 38 Comp Eliminators, FK-89 and Pauter 1.5s.
7.76 @ 89.55mph 1/8 mile
12.34 and 108.10 mph 1/4 mile
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
petrol punk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: stock valve cover limits Reply with quote

I never had any issues with the CSP bolt on valve covers other than they barely clear the body. Stock german with tabs welded in to prevent gasket suck and RTV'ing the gasket to the valve cover works great too. And since they're steel they're easy to modify to fit ratio rockers or vents if needed.
kangaboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: stock valve cover limits Reply with quote

allamaabroad wrote:
and make sure the bales are nice and tight.

This is a big one that might get overlooked. If you can put them on and off with your hands, they aren't tight enough.

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Shocked

that fucking thing looks like it drove through a J.C. Whitney catalogue and hit everything on the way out Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: stock valve cover limits Reply with quote

The 1600 DP engine that came with my Buggy did have issues with valve cover clearance. I have no idea what it has for cam or rocker ratio, it has elephant foot adjusters. I do know that the engine is nothing special in the power department. These chrome covers may or may not be stock but I fixed the problem with a socket and a ballpeen hammer.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bad bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: stock valve cover limits Reply with quote

stealth67vw wrote:
I run stock German on everything I possibly can. My current low 12 second 2276 with Web 86c and CB 1.4s (.560 lift) clear with no problem. I have run stock covers on Comp Eliminators heads with Pauter 1.4s and .600 valve lift but had to dimple them at the adjuster screw to clear. I will run stock covers on my next engine that will use 48 x 38 Comp Eliminators, FK-89 and Pauter 1.5s.

Ok this information is golden for me as i have two sets of stock valve covers. I really don't want to dimple ( push metal around ) on the stock valve covers so i think i will engage JPM for their king covers.

I have pauter 1.4 rockers going on a set of panchitos.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: stock valve cover limits Reply with quote

the "C" channel valve covers need some work before they are used to keep from damaging the seals. I square up the serface then add a nice raidi so they will not cut into the gasket/ seal I have well over 130000 miles on those with no leeks and never have changed the gaskets. like everything else, you have to be smarter than the part your trying to use. nothing is ready to go right out of the box. not even a big mac.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: