Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"ok.". Dealing with over talkative sellers.
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:29 am    Post subject: "ok.". Dealing with over talkative sellers. Reply with quote

"Ok."

My all time favorite response from a seller, slow to respond and your well thought out questions including those asking for directions or a contact number are met with Ok, Yes or the over used "k".

Like if you took the time to post an ad and are actively trying to sell why not put forth a smidge of effort? I'm looking to travel 2 hrs away for a purchase and the seller has completely ignored my request to send deposits or call. Makes for a really nerve wracking experience.

This is 100% a rant but curious also, would you still drive the 2 hours for a car with little info? Any other pet peeves?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: "ok.". Dealing with over talkative sellers. Reply with quote

If I don't get much info from a seller, or they seem to dodge questions, I write them off immediately. Life is too short, and there are lots of cars out there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: "ok.". Dealing with over talkative sellers. Reply with quote

I like driving, and if the original ad with photos moves me, I'll drive the 2 hours.
Nothing a seller says, or doesn't say, other than yes to my offer really matters.
A over talkative seller will tell you everything wrong with the car, or by being a poor liar convince me to walk away.
But if a seller can't give me a scheduled time, and a address, I'm not going to drive 5 minutes to look at a car.
If I get to the address, and don't feel safe, I'll call the guy out, and re-arrange a viewing.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: "ok.". Dealing with over talkative sellers. Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
If I don't get much info from a seller, or they seem to dodge questions, I write them off immediately. Life is too short, and there are lots of cars out there.

Yes, this is my advice to people on here from time to time who contact me saying they are having similar troubles with a seller.

If I have to put a ton of effort to buy something you are selling, my experience is I'm not going to be happy with purchase, usually from misrepresentation or simply not being able to get the information I should have gotten to make the correct decision

ach60 covered it pretty well.
2 hours? Sure... I'd say that is about my max though and things better be locked down on date/time/location... unless it was something crazy rare.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: "ok.". Dealing with over talkative sellers. Reply with quote

A full MONTH ago I responded to an advertisement on AutoTrader several times, left 2 different E-mail addresses and cell phone number. Never heard a word, listing still viable. I even called Autotrader and they cannot release seller's phone number, and are not allowed to call the seller.

After about 2.5 weeks the seller re-newed his/her listing at $1000 LESS, apparently was not getting E-mails from prospective buyers, like going into his Spam folder or Trash folder, or maybe blocked !!! So F-Tard is losing out on sale, maybe daily !!!

Vehicle still listed as available !
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: "ok.". Dealing with over talkative sellers. Reply with quote

As a seller, I look at the zip code of the person inquiring..
If they are within a 2-3hr drive, I recommend they come to my shop and look it over to see if it meets their needs. In person is the only time it matters so both parties have no misunderstandings.

If the person is on the opposite coast (I'm in MD and get a lot of CA inquiry), and they are inquiring about a $1500-2000 "project"car/bus, I generally send them a pic or 2 as a courtesy, but I won't waste my time on a "photo shoot" or dozen emails, because I'm well aware they aren't going to spend (most are unaware) the cost of transporting a no-op vehicle coast to coast.

Basically, if I recognize shipping costs are going to add more than10-20% to a sales price, I don't expect the inquiring person to show up/follow through for a purchase.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: "ok.". Dealing with over talkative sellers. Reply with quote

vwinnovator wrote:
Basically, if I recognize shipping costs are going to add more than10-20% to a sales price, I don't expect the inquiring person to show up/follow through for a purchase.

I understand what you are saying and that is a reasonable assumption

But I wouldn't count on that for parts sales.

I've had some international parts sales where the people paid more for shipping than the part cost and they still paid.
Of course, there are people that backed out once they found out the shipping cost, even when it was a fraction of the parts cost.
Some people have no idea about international shipping prices.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: "ok.". Dealing with over talkative sellers. Reply with quote

We live in a world where people think it is only necessary to communicate with job applicants if they are getting an offer. If you do that in my company, you will be shot. Every manager is responsible for communicating an update to applicants by 3 pm every Friday with a status update, or the candidate is to call me personally.
Pez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: "ok.". Dealing with over talkative sellers. Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

Yes, this is my advice to people on here from time to time who contact me saying they are having similar troubles with a seller.

If I have to put a ton of effort to buy something you are selling, my experience is I'm not going to be happy with purchase, usually from misrepresentation or simply not being able to get the information I should have gotten to make the correct decision

I'd like to say I can agree, but I'm far too stubborn to pass up on any vehicle, especially after first contact has been made. Not to say I haven't followed your advice and wrote someone off after fighting tooth and nail for info that should of been in first text, but more often I keep on'em.

ach60 wrote:

If I get to the address, and don't feel safe, I'll call the guy out, and re-arrange a viewing.

Eventually I followed your advice and "called the dude out", was blunt with him that it wasn't feeling right and he came around quick, turned out to be a good dude. Just a very busy guy running his own construction company, which ultimately turned out for the better because his workers loaded the car for me!

All in all, buying can be just as frustrating as selling. We have all dealt with flakey sellers, and its great advice to just step back. I have done the same many times and let the ball roll. And honestly I think it not only weeded out the BS but helped with purchases too. A seller initially swamped with messages comes to a couple of weeks down the road and still no sell. They are generally a little more desperate at that point so another quick message seals the deal.
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: "ok.". Dealing with over talkative sellers. Reply with quote

Buy the seller before you buy the car/parts/etc. An old axiom...
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: "ok.". Dealing with over talkative sellers. Reply with quote

i don't get it. the post is titled OVERTALKTIVE sellers but you are complaining about sellers that are not talkative. What am I missing>?
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: "ok.". Dealing with over talkative sellers. Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
i don't get it. the post is titled OVERTALKTIVE sellers but you are complaining about sellers that are not talkative. What am I missing>?

ok.

Just kidding!
I think the thread is about UNDER-communicative sellers, despite the title that implies the opposite.
Pez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: "ok.". Dealing with over talkative sellers. Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Erik G wrote:

ok.

Just kidding!
I think the thread is about UNDER-communicative sellers, despite the title that implies the opposite.

Yes.

An attempt at sarcasm with the title, I tend to use it a lot.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: "ok.". Dealing with over talkative sellers. Reply with quote

K
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: