Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Michigan Offroad Friendly Chat and Trip Planning.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TVander
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Michigan Offroad Friendly Chat and Trip Planning. Reply with quote

I am not aware of anyone trying to do that, I also do not know how the decision was made to allow it here in the north. I do know that the counties had an opportunity to say yes or no, and some townships in the counties said yes or no. Maybe you could ask at the county or township level and see about an answer from them. Maybe a small group could help gain some support.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Michigan Offroad Friendly Chat and Trip Planning. Reply with quote

I know a couple 4x4 groups in the area. I might hit them up and see what there thoughts are on this.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Michigan Offroad Friendly Chat and Trip Planning. Reply with quote

Working on getting a title for a rail buggy.

For the assembled roadster inspection, with a windshield, they require a wiper and washer. Has anybody recently gotten around this?

Also, at the Secretary of State, they are now requiring proof of purchase for all major components... frame, engine, axles, etc... So what does one do when it’s pieced together from swap meet parts or classified adds with just a cash payment and no receipt for proof of purchase?

TVander
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Michigan Offroad Friendly Chat and Trip Planning. Reply with quote

I too am interested in this process. I spoke to Jim at Jim’s buggies in Marion about it and he had good insight about the process, he suggested just a small squirt bottle for the windshield washer. Currently just driving mine on roads with ORV sticker on ORV open roads in my county and others.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: Michigan Offroad Friendly Chat and Trip Planning. Reply with quote

Dirk, just get some 'receipts' from ? it's all about paying 'taxes' Wink
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Michigan Offroad Friendly Chat and Trip Planning. Reply with quote

The SOS gave me an earful about it being a stolen vehicle. Guess the way they operate is ‘stolen until proven purchased.’

So Mike, just write receipts to myself from some random persons name?, and turn that in?

madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: Michigan Offroad Friendly Chat and Trip Planning. Reply with quote

Yepper u can use my old business 'Mad Racing' Laughing
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Michigan Offroad Friendly Chat and Trip Planning. Reply with quote

Hey everybody. It's been awhile. Went thru a nasty divorce and ended up starting over in Muskegon. I still have Mary and my woodsbuggy but don't ever use them because I've had other priorities the past couple years. However, I am interested in finding some people around me that off road.

I'm considering selling my woodsbuggy if I don't start using it more. Just told someone the other day I was selling it this spring to put money into Mary. If I can find someone to roll with I'm hoping I can justify it's existence in my garage. It's still rather unproven so it'd be nice to have some people to go out with incase something breaks.

Let me know and maybe we can start planning something. It's been too long.
Berrien Warrior 2.4L Quad4
LAZY MARY 1970 Baja 1835cc
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Michigan Offroad Friendly Chat and Trip Planning. Reply with quote

As summer gets closer I'm thinking about places to take a VW in Michigan. It's been about five years since I really ventured out there and I feel like a lot has changed.

I'm wondering how many places are still available to go out there big enough for bajas, rails and woods buggies minus Silver Lake which is not on my list of places I like to be.

It'd be nice to have some ideas on where to possibly go. I'm on the west side and if anyone's got some favorite cruises and would like to share, I'd appreciate it.
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Michigan Offroad Friendly Chat and Trip Planning. Reply with quote

I’m not sure if any good spots to go, but I’m planning on building a off road beetle for this summer.

If you don’t know about it already there is a buggy builders show in Lansing this weekend. I’m sure you could get some information from people there.
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Michigan Offroad Friendly Chat and Trip Planning. Reply with quote

DNR has been crapping up the Allegan woods with big tree stumps on a lot of the trails that used to be a good time. A lot of them are growing over now. Still some decent seasonal roads, but you have to hop skip and jump from one to another.

North western UP has loads of good material.

danielzink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Michigan Offroad Friendly Chat and Trip Planning. Reply with quote

We ride quite a bit in St. Helens.

Tons of trails...

From there 72 between Grayling and Kalkaska has a bunch as well.

North of Grayling in Frederick also.

Dan

www.danielzink.com
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Michigan Offroad Friendly Chat and Trip Planning. Reply with quote

In the past I've either parked a trailer at an actual trail near Baldwin or Whitecloud and then just wandered. I've found myself gravitating towards Irons or Wolf Lake.
It may just be something I have to get out there and figure out again. Trouble is, that was a whole lot easier with my reliable Baja. My woodsbuggy I'm not so sure only because so much of that rig is unproven and I don't care to break down too far away from 'base camp'. That's the only reason I ask in the first place. I can always go out with my Jeep people I know. Not sure how that would work out exactly but at least I'd have help. Otherwise, I may just have to risk it and hope I brought what I need.
Living in Muskegon, I feel like I have trails all around me, however, when I was in Holland there were no trails but all the dirt farm roads made a safe place to test my vehicles out for an extended time without taking too much risk of not getting back or finding someone driving by to help.
TVander
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Michigan Offroad Friendly Chat and Trip Planning. Reply with quote

A great place to park is at club 37 just north of Baldwin. From there you can take the ATV route and combine with lots of roads as well. This trail does get a lot of side by side traffic so it is pretty rough in places. However lots of road crossings and not to far from a main road if you have a mechanical. That trail is not to far from where you live. Send me a message sometime and maybe we can meet up, it’s an hour south of where I live.
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Michigan Offroad Friendly Chat and Trip Planning. Reply with quote

TVander wrote:
A great place to park is at club 37 just north of Baldwin. From there you can take the ATV route and combine with lots of roads as well. This trail does get a lot of side by side traffic so it is pretty rough in places. However lots of road crossings and not to far from a main road if you have a mechanical. That trail is not to far from where you live. Send me a message sometime and maybe we can meet up, it’s an hour south of where I live.

That's right, I've been there before too. Thanks. I'll let you know when I go!
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Michigan Offroad Friendly Chat and Trip Planning. Reply with quote

I hope everyone has enjoyed the fall colors this year. West Michigan seems to have just past its peak color this past week. The UP was pretty spectacular earlier this month. Fall is my favorite riding time, but now it is time to pack the buggy away for the winter.

ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Michigan Offroad Friendly Chat and Trip Planning. Reply with quote

+1

My buggy situation was lame again this year but it was a great summer for being outdoors nonetheless. Last weekend was a bonus.
21golden007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Michigan Offroad Friendly Chat and Trip Planning. Reply with quote

I'm in GR. I'd be down for some day trips next year. I finished this project over the summer and took it on zero trips, that's a problem.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: Michigan Offroad Friendly Chat and Trip Planning. Reply with quote

That looks like a fun rig. It's a shame to not use it. I was just going to post up some questions regarding a radiator arrangement like you have there. My radiator is way too small and I've seen where people use a Jeep Commander radiator and build it into a wing/spoiler. Until I get that and some coilovers for my rear, I won't be using mine much. I put plates on it this last summer but it wasn't ready. Hopefully this is the year.
21golden007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Michigan Offroad Friendly Chat and Trip Planning. Reply with quote

Yes hoping to get more trips next year. This is a jeep cherokee radiator, just a cheap one with fans off of ebay. It works fine but I've heard of the fans burning out after not too long. Ill probably replace it with higher quality fans at some point. . It works fine in the spot its in except i cant see behind me with the rear view mirror. I had thought about putting in a rear camera.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Page 20 of 21

Jump to: