Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

HELP! Smoke from a transmission bolt
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoeM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:06 am    Post subject: HELP! Smoke from a transmission bolt Reply with quote

Hi there, I hope someone can help with this odd issue.

I removed the clutch cable to do some work on the floor of my Karmann Ghia. When I finished and reconnected the cable the clutch wont fully disengage, and crunches. I replaced the bowden tube, but that didn't fix it. And there is an odd smoke coming from a transmission bolt.

Link

Anyone seen this before?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: HELP! Smoke from a transmission bolt Reply with quote

Well, the smoke is cool looking, but you already know the clutch cable moves the arm of the fork that presses the throwout bearing against the fingers of the pressure plate to release the clutch disc, and all the speculation in the world won't help you avoid dropping the engine to fix it. Wink
fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: HELP! Smoke from a transmission bolt Reply with quote

There doesn't appear to be any free play on that cable at all from your video..It actually looks so tight that it's pulling on the arm while stationary Question
Slack it off until you have 1 inch of free play at the pedal before you feel resistance and see what happens
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: HELP! Smoke from a transmission bolt Reply with quote

Its smoked!!
Looks like too much bend in Bowden tube, you should have free play at peddle. Make sure tube is bottomed out on both ends. Same cable? Check front hook to make sure its in right place. If none of that helps, looks like an engine pull as Charlie suggests.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: HELP! Smoke from a transmission bolt Reply with quote

I'm going to guess something on the clutch, throw out bearing (or the bearing fork) has broken, and with the pedal engaged and the engine turning its creating all sorts of frictional heat from the misalignment of the clutch parts, which is likely the cause of the smoke and difficulty finding gears.
JoeM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP! Smoke from a transmission bolt Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. Looks like the answer is the pull the motor. While the engine is out, any suggestions on what other things I should consider doing?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP! Smoke from a transmission bolt Reply with quote

JoeM wrote:
...suggestions on what other things I should consider doing?
Thumbs up on the Kombi Garage. Good on you. Here's hoping all you'll find is the throwout bearing cocked in the fork as the result of a displaced clip. On the hopefully rare occasions you may have to drop the engine it's not a bad idea to replace the throwout bearing regardless. With the engine out it's also the perfect time to practice the finer points of adjusting the latch for the rear deck lid (engine compartment cover, boot, hood, whatever y'all call it down under). Cool
Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP! Smoke from a transmission bolt Reply with quote

I also like to replace the seal where the input shaft goes into the gearbox
(behind the clutch thrust bearing). Also check for wear on the 'forks' that hold the throwout bearing.
JoeM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP! Smoke from a transmission bolt Reply with quote

Great advice everyone!
I'll keep you posted with how this goes Smile
tacky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP! Smoke from a transmission bolt Reply with quote

i would think the smoke was from grinding the gears shifting, that is a ton of friction.
JoeM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP! Smoke from a transmission bolt Reply with quote

No movement yet on this issue, I've been a little distracted by learning some new skills in Auto Upholstery, I made my first seat and it came up OK I think.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP! Smoke from a transmission bolt Reply with quote

Looks like it came more than OK Joe!! Good on ya!
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP! Smoke from a transmission bolt Reply with quote

That's impressive! Nice work.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: HELP! Smoke from a transmission bolt Reply with quote

JoeM wrote:
Hi there, I hope someone can help with this odd issue.

I removed the clutch cable to do some work on the floor of my Karmann Ghia. When I finished and reconnected the cable the clutch wont fully disengage, and crunches. I replaced the bowden tube, but that didn't fix it. And there is an odd smoke coming from a transmission bolt.

Link

Anyone seen this before?

I hope you already found it... but i think your clutch pedal is touching one hot terminal on your high beam switch... and at the transmission is just where is grounding out and getting hot through your clutch cable.

i would say replace your clutch cable now... and insulate those connectors so there is no contact.

I like being wrong, Because, it is another opportunity to learn. If you stop learning from your mistakes than what is the point?

If you have any questions about Forged ICON 4032 VW pistons just shoot me a line.
NoDents
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: HELP! Smoke from a transmission bolt Reply with quote

I tend to agree that it's a electrical grounding issue.

1963 Bug - Sold in 1980
1966 Karmann Ghia Convertible - Stolen in 1988
1971 Karmann Ghia Convertible, resto/mod COMPLETED 10/2020
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: HELP! Smoke from a transmission bolt Reply with quote

Wow! I have never seen smoke come out of that area of the drivetrain, ever! Kinda makes me think it is electrical also? Does it smell "electrical"?

I can't wait to hear about what the original poster discovers when the engine is removed. It does look like there is a little too much bend in the bowden tube, and the clutch cable end adjustment looks to be all the way to the tight end (forwardmost end of adjustability).

While apart, de-grease and clean up everything and inspect for wear. I'd automatically replace the throw-out bearing, the clutch disc if worn and maybe even a new pressure plate. I'd automatically replace the clutch cable with a know correct length cable and perhaps save the used one if it isn't damaged or fraying and toss it under your rear seat for some long-in-the-future roadside cable breakdown... How do your used forward and rearward engine/transaxle rubber/metal mounts look? With the engine removed, now would be the time to do them easier too... Maybe a gear oil change while you're down there in that neighborhood, or at the very least pull the fill plug on the left side of the transaxle case and use a fingertip to inspect for proper gear oil level in transaxle.

If you do all of the above correctly and thoroughly and use quality parts, and you aren't too hard on your vehicle, you shouldn't have to do it again for a long time. Have fun, I love doing this shit!

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JoeM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP! Smoke from a transmission bolt Reply with quote

Finally resolved!
Thanks everyone for you suggestions, here is what it was:

Link
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: HELP! Smoke from a transmission bolt Reply with quote

Your video popped up in my YouTube feed. I've seen it already.. Nice work. You're on the way to your first 1million subscribers. Wink
Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: HELP! Smoke from a transmission bolt Reply with quote

JoeM wrote:
Finally resolved!
Good job and an appealing video! Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: