Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'59 Karmann Ghia fever
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 228, 229, 230 ... 356, 357, 358  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Thanks Sput!

I am confused a bit — so the hardware on the car is different than what is required by the European headlights?

Here’s what we’ve got:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
The Karmann Ghia Fever YouTube Channel!
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

These fine Ghia enthusiasts just love making you spend money Laughing

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Oh, the only thing I mind is buying something that I have to turn around and try to sell because its not right.
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Blue/white wire connected:

To be continued... Stay tuned!
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Trylon wrote:
Thanks Sput!

I am confused a bit — so the hardware on the car is different than what is required by the European headlights?

Three types of head lights existed, two are appropriate for your car. You show the early seal beam style. Just buy a matching pair of sealed beams.Maybe buy Hella or Bosch to keep the german theme, otherwise anything of US manufacture will be fine to use. You can clean up the other bits to make them look a bit fresher.

You would have seen these diagrams in the parts book...
Euro headlight- not usually on US delivery cars. Can be fitted to your car but expensive

Both sealed headlight types, the upper type is appropriate for a US delivery lowlight. This is the type fitted to your car

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Last edited by sputnick60 on Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Thanks for all the information Sput.
Again, in the interest of getting on the road, let’s postpone changes. Gotta leave something else to do for this winter.

On another note—
Driving to our PR place and saw my first one in the wild (barring those I saw as a kid):

Almost had an accident I was so excited!
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Trylon wrote:
Thanks for all the information Sput.
Again, in the interest of getting on the road, let’s postpone changes. Gotta leave something else to do for this winter.

On another note—
Driving to our PR place and saw my first one in the wild (barring those I saw as a kid):

Almost had an accident I was so excited!

Yup, siting's here in Vermont are even more rare. Two summers ago, I went by what turned out to be a 68 Beetle driving down the road. First one in quite a long time. I found out later it was for sale and I test drove it. It was only the 2nd time ever that I drove an air cooled VW.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

I would stick with the US style headlights, especially for now. You might consider using LED headlight bulbs since they will be much brighter and you might want to run them during daylight driving too (if so you might consider installing a buzzer to remind you to turn them off when you park the Ghia).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

So, how about these?

http://www.myhellalights.com/index.php/products/au...-headlamp/
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Those Hellas can work fine, but too bad the ad leaves out some vital information: Lens shape and bulb wattage. Many Euro-style headlamp lenses, especially H4's are FLAT instead of rounded. Seeing that style is important to you, having a flat lens disrupts the natural curvature profile of the fender compared to the traditional rounded lens when viewed from the side.

The most prevalent H4 bulb rating is 55 watts, whereby higher-powered bulbs can be bought that go up to 100 watts. The 55 watts is usually fully sufficient in output and are indeed a big improvement on sealed-beam type filaments. Although many people can say that H4 is outdated technology and to substitute an LED bulb conversion, the LED light is too "modern" looking and the light output too "white" compared to the H4 for a vintage car IMO.

As an alternative, on my '64 Ghia I installed a pair of Sylvania Halogen lamps over 30 years ago. Those are still sealed beam, meaning that the 3-prong wiring connector to the lamps goes directly to the integral bulb instead of the H4's removable bulb holder. The light output is very good, though in the past many years I've not driven at night anymore. And the lenses are curved...
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

How about these:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1934150

They will have a much whiter light than the original bulbs, but they look stock and will be nice and bright. Maybe someone has some experience with this sell and bulb that they can share????
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Random find down a dead end street in Ponce, Puerto Rico.

Link

1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

So where were we...

Have decided, since we have a hard date for the vintage car parade, I will focus on rewiring and interior assembly to give us the best chance to make it.
So, for instance, I will not be making decisions and dealing with headlight options. This will make a great winter project. As will many other things that I intend to gloss over for now.

Tested high and low on a headlight just because I can:

Also tested the odd ground wires in the headlight buckets by checking for continuity between them. They are grounded.

Don’t have the female spade terminals required for the headlights so have ordered some (after many measurements and much searching). Why do I think they will still be the wrong thing?

The car has been up on stands as I worked on it to make it a bit easier to access. Lowered it and loosened the lug nuts to get the wheels off (after putting it back on stands) for accessing the brake light terminals on the master cylinder.

Clearly the wiring harness is for a single cylinder— I am thinking that I can just daisy chain the two and get the same result but what do I know. Will investigate.

Great to be back!
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Thinking about it, it seems that the two cylinders have to be wired in parallel.
That means I am going to have to supply another pair of wires and connect them to the other ends of the pair that is there already. I’m thinking that the third terminal on the switches has to do with some test light found in later Ghias.

Am I on the right track?
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
VeloMikey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Plug the port closest to the fire wall and use a standard two wire screw terminal brake light switch in the front port. You can use the old brake light switch as a plug but it won't look clean and could develop a leak in the future.

Ghia Build Thread https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768748
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

VeloMikey wrote:
Plug the port closest to the fire wall and use a standard two wire screw terminal brake light switch in the front port. You can use the old brake light switch as a plug but it won't look clean and could develop a leak in the future.

Interesting plan. Seems that brake lights will fail when front cylinder does. Guess this is not really significant given that the second I realized the brakes were not functioning fully I would pull off the road and have it towed!

Let me look into switches and plugs. I take it that I will have to drain first and bleed the brakes after.

Thanks for the direction!
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

I abandoned using my booster switches to power my brake lights altogether and went with this:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2140061

I know it's not the 100% stock you're after, but for a car that's driven often I love that I have instant brake lights as soon as I touch the pedal and none of the pressure-activated lag that comes with the booster switch.

Last edited by PeteSC on Mon May 03, 2021 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Vladiiiii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

I'm in the exact same boat, can second on that Embarassed Wink

And as a small bonus, nice to hear that satisfying click every time you touch the pedal Razz

Vlad
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9237746#9237746
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Trylon wrote:
Thinking about it, it seems that the two cylinders have to be wired in parallel.
That means I am going to have to supply another pair of wires and connect them to the other ends of the pair that is there already. I’m thinking that the third terminal on the switches has to do with some test light found in later Ghias.

Am I on the right track?

Yes. Later Ghias have a “B” button on the dash. When you push it, it lights up letting you know the brake light circuit works and if one of the brake circuits has no pressure it will light up when you press the brakes. Note: If you have chineseum switches like I do they may light up the “B” button every time you apply the brake. I’ve decided that it’s a good indicator of when the brake lights are on. And yes. Both switches are in parallel.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
VeloMikey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Trylon wrote:
VeloMikey wrote:

Interesting plan. Seems that brake lights will fail when front cylinder does. Guess this is not really significant given that the second I realized the brakes were not functioning fully I would pull off the road and have it towed!

Let me look into switches and plugs. I take it that I will have to drain first and bleed the brakes after.

Thanks for the direction!

Put a rag under it and pull out the switch then replace with the plug. Bleed brakes if necessary.

Ghia Build Thread https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768748
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 228, 229, 230 ... 356, 357, 358  Next
Jump to:
Page 229 of 358

Jump to: