Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Alternator stand
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
theduck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:17 pm    Post subject: Alternator stand Reply with quote

Hello all.I have a 1600 duel port engine.I am converting it to a alternator.I have tried to use a 12 volt generator stand but no luck.I looked online and many sellers/stores state the stand for sale is for either a gen.or alt. What gives? I did convert another 1600 duel port.And the stand worked.Does any know if their is a different part number for a alternator stand? Thx,the duck Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator stand Reply with quote

You need an alternator stand.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator stand Reply with quote

Generator stand on the left, alternator stand on the right. A 12v generator will fit on either one, but an alternator will only fit on an alternator stand.
(Picture from the gallery)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

theduck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator stand Reply with quote

Very Happy Great picture now it is VERY clear there is a difference. However ,I don't get it when Shops .Vw stores say it fits both? I am trying to buy one,but all say Alternator/Generator stand.Oh well .I will make a copy of this and proceed to the check out.Thx,theduck Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator stand Reply with quote

theduck wrote:
However ,I don't get it when Shops .Vw stores say it fits both? I am trying to buy one,but all say Alternator/Generator stand.

Yes, the alternator stand can also accept a generator.

But not the other way around: generator stand is for generator only.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator stand Reply with quote

Another way to look at it: they don't sell generator stands anymore. They only sell alternator stands (which happen to work for generators).

(At least I don't think anyone sells "generator-only" stands anymore.)
stevebaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator stand Reply with quote

you need a top down view to really see the difference in the stands. there is a notch cut out in the saddle for the alternator. try to hold out for a original German vw one.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator stand Reply with quote

Second pic shows why you’d use a tool like this to get the breather off
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator stand Reply with quote

Here's another pic to help illustrate why you need an alternator stand to fit an alternator:

Note how the larger diameter at the rear end of the alternator body requires that the stand pedestal have a cutaway area so the larger diameter can sit far enough forward on the pedestal to engage the fan shroud and line up the pulley. You can see the gap between the stand and the larger belt of the alternator. Often there is no gap when properly aligned.
When an alternator is placed on a generator stand it cannot be slid forward far enough to engage the fan shroud. Nor will the fan pulley line up with the crank pulley. The rear face of the generator stand gets in the way.

The generators fit on the alternator stands because the OD of the straight bodied generator is the same as the OD of the smaller diameter area of the alternator which rests on top the saddle of the stand body. Without the larger diameter body section to worry about the generator is just cradled by the top of the stand. This is why the generator will mount to either a generator or alternator stand... the saddle areas are the same.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
theduck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator stand Reply with quote

Very Happy Great response for my question.I have just purchased a used German one.And it fits like a glove.I can't tell you how many times ,used vendors were adamant about how a generator stand would work.I took them for their word,only to fine out THEY DO NOT FIT.So thx all for the information.This why thesamba is a great source for information from people who know,and yes others like me you want to know.Thx,theduck Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: