Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Beam/Delrin bushing/trailing arm questions
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
21golden007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:59 pm    Post subject: Beam/Delrin bushing/trailing arm questions Reply with quote

6" wider beam, thru rods for coilovers, 4x1 latest rage arms, Delrin bushings. Everything new.

Question 1. Sorry for my novice but the trailing arms are supposed to move inside the Delrin beam bushings, the Delrin beam bushings are not supposed to move inside the beam, correct? because right now its the opposite. The delrin beam bushings dont fit overly tight inside the beam and move pretty easy. The trailing arms fit fairly snuggly inside the delrin bushings but not overly tight. I didn't have to ream them or anything (like ive heard some people have to do). I was able to easily push them in by hand with grease, but when I move the spindle up and down its definitely the bushings moving inside the beam easier than the trailing arms moving inside the bushings.....

Solutions on the right way to fix? one solution would seem to be "gluing" with some kind of adhesive the bushing into the beam but I'd hate to know how much I'd curse and throw things when I need to remove the bushing in the future.

Question 2. Regarding the through rods and trailing arms, one thing that doesn't make sense is that on the arms, there is a tapered weld as you can see in the pic below. Looking at thisIt seems that if you tighten the through rods at all, you're just going to push the tapered weld into the delrin bushing causing it to not move freely. Are the through rod nuts supposed to be that loose that you barely hand tighten them to avoid pushing the weld into the bushing? Am I missing something here?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Beam/Delrin bushing/trailing arm questions Reply with quote

That taper is identical to stock VW arms. Fabricated front arms for use with coilovers, and thus with through rods, generally have a flat surface of the inboard side of the inner gusset to contact the end of the bushing, so many delrin bushings are made with a flat face. You could either get the bushings cut with a taper, or exchange them for bushings that are already tapered.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
21golden007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Beam/Delrin bushing/trailing arm questions Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
That taper is identical to stock VW arms. Fabricated front arms for use with coilovers, and thus with through rods, generally have a flat surface of the inboard side of the inner gusset to contact the end of the bushing, so many delrin bushings are made with a flat face. You could either get the bushings cut with a taper, or exchange them for bushings that are already tapered.

Ok got it. If found the ones that have the taper. What about the fact that the bushings move freely inside of the beam? should I adhesive them into the beam? I cant find anything about anyone having this issue.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Beam/Delrin bushing/trailing arm questions Reply with quote

The bushings SHOULD be a light press fit into the beam tubes.

Then the arms should be a snug slip fit into the bushings. Maybe snug enough to barely hold the arm up without the spindle.

If the arms fit into the bushings OK, then a slip fit of the bushings into the beam is not a major issue. Not right, but not catastrophic either.

But if the bushings clack around inside the beam tube, then they NEED to go straight back to the seller.

I've encountered that before.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Beam/Delrin bushing/trailing arm questions Reply with quote

What I do and has been in off-road racing for many years is to use a set screw installed into the beam to keep bushings from rotating
A 1/4” fine thread set screws works, also the zero fitting helps too.
I drill and tap the beam for each bushing and drill all the way through bushing with arm removed. And then install arm and thread set screw into beam. Tighten set screw until it contacts arm and back it out at least a turn so it is not contacting arm.
I install the zero fittings on back side of beam so they don’t get damaged.
And idea I copied from Chenowth beam
Some of the bushings available already have holes in them for this purpose.
I use Super Lube multi-purpose synthetic grease for the trailing arms.

Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
21golden007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Beam/Delrin bushing/trailing arm questions Reply with quote

[quote="jsturtlebuggy"]What I do and has been in off-road racing for many years is to use a set screw installed into the beam to keep bushings from rotating
A 1/4” fine thread set screws works, also the zero fitting helps too.
I drill and tap the beam for each bushing and drill all the way through bushing with arm removed. And then install arm and thread set screw into beam. Tighten set screw until it contacts arm and back it out at least a turn so it is not contacting arm.
I install the zero fittings on back side of beam so they don’t get damaged.
And idea I copied from Chenowth beam
Some of the bushings available already have holes in them for this purpose.
I use Super Lube multi-purpose synthetic grease for the trailing arms.

seems like a good fix. I'll probably do this, thanks.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Beam/Delrin bushing/trailing arm questions Reply with quote

Gets my thumbs up.
SoCalBajas Member
PhillipM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Beam/Delrin bushing/trailing arm questions Reply with quote

I always make mine a tight fit in the beam, sure you can stop them rotating in the beam with set screws, but that won't stop them moving around from the clearance and leading to your geometry being sloppy
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Beam/Delrin bushing/trailing arm questions Reply with quote

More thumbs up.

As I said above, "The bushings SHOULD be a light press fit into the beam tubes."
SoCalBajas Member
21golden007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Beam/Delrin bushing/trailing arm questions Reply with quote

PhillipM wrote:
I always make mine a tight fit in the beam, sure you can stop them rotating in the beam with set screws, but that won't stop them moving around from the clearance and leading to your geometry being sloppy

What do you mean "make them a tight fit"?, they kind of are what they are when you buy them aren't they?

They aren't by any means sloppy in the beam but the do move around fairly freely.
stevebaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Beam/Delrin bushing/trailing arm questions Reply with quote

maybe a wrap or 2 of this to tighten up the fit. note there are different thicknesses.

https://www.mcmaster.com/surface-protection-tape/high-bond-low-friction-uhmw-tape/
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Beam/Delrin bushing/trailing arm questions Reply with quote

The beam bushings should be a light press fit into beam. I use a dead blow mallet and block of wood to seat bushings in beam.
Bushings come in different outside diameter, about .010” steps to fit different size tubing.
KarTek shows the different sizes available of the bushings on their website.

I just heard from a friend that German Auto/SACO has closed down. So in near future their products may become unavailable.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
77charger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Beam/Delrin bushing/trailing arm questions Reply with quote

Always good to take measurements for the beam i never had to hammer them in hard I like ones i can tap in with a small 2x4.Then i can ream them for final fitment on my arms.

Without a reamer you will never get the arms in their correctly.
Auto linea alm case,82 dpr crank wedgemated by DK machine
cb 5.4 h beams,12 pound DPR f/w,Slr xv294cam,cb straight cuts,hpmx 44s,40x35 heads ported by brothers machine
PhillipM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Beam/Delrin bushing/trailing arm questions Reply with quote

21golden007 wrote:

What do you mean "make them a tight fit"?, they kind of are what they are when you buy them aren't they?

I make my own.

But as above, they should be a light interference/press fit into the beam, so they need driving in with a hammer and shouldn't move about freely at all.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: