Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine paint for valve covers?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:12 am    Post subject: Engine paint for valve covers? Reply with quote

So, I'm doing some detail painting on valve covers in black and red with a tiny brush. Does anyone with paint knowledge have a recommendation for a paint line available in small bottles that will hold up in an engine bay?

Thanks!
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Engine paint for valve covers? Reply with quote

i've had good luck with simple Rustoleum satin black on my valve covers. if they have shiny bare spots, prime with bare metal primer. rusty spots, prime with rusty metal primer.

found out the hard way that rusty metal primer does NOT work on bare metal!!! it needs rust!!

i know there's engine enamels that are supposedly better but gosh, the Rustoleum works and you can buy whatever size you like.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Engine paint for valve covers? Reply with quote

Not sure about the little bottles but spray paint works fine. You have to be really careful of the bails or they will pull the paint off.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Engine paint for valve covers? Reply with quote

oh, wait. you're talking those roller bottles for lines... nevermind!

www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine paint for valve covers? Reply with quote

Oh wow. So yes, was doing detailing on valve covers on my other project. I ended up getting a tip to use a syringe to fill the lettering and stripes instead of using the brushes. I cannot believe how well that worked out.

I may or may not have stripped them with Aircraft Stripper and that stuff is amazing. Then 9 coats of primer, correct silver, then clear. Then the lettering. I wish I could put non Vanagon pictures here. It may be the most beautiful thing I've painted in my life. They look like they just came out of the factory in 1987. Marvelous.

So you fill a syringe with paint, then simply fill the recessed lettering and grooves where the factory paint was. Perfect edges. Incredible.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: Engine paint for valve covers? Reply with quote

Why don't you post up a picture of this potential engine swap for your Vanagon Wink
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: Engine paint for valve covers? Reply with quote

Gasoline takes off most paints.

On VW's with the injectors above the valve covers, gasoline damage is very likely.

A two part epoxy based paint is your best option.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Engine paint for valve covers? Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
So you fill a syringe with paint, then simply fill the recessed lettering and grooves where the factory paint was. Perfect edges. Incredible.

what a great tip. i always struggle with this with the recessed lettering on motorcycle engine cases. have used an ultra fine brush but end up wiping and re-applying many times on the shoulders of the lettering.

www.thefixitworkshop.com
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Engine paint for valve covers? Reply with quote

So it had about 10% of its paint missing, and about 30% of the letters were damaged in some way with missing sections. I used Aircraft Stripper (which ironically states clearly on its label "Do not use on aircraft.") to bare aluminum.

This is exactly what these looked like from the factory and I think they're one of the best looking factory valve covers in the business outside of some Italian steeds.... I'm posting it in case anyone would consider swapping this great engine into their Vanagon. I could measure the length to help you with packaging:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine paint for valve covers? Reply with quote

gorgeous. perfect. i think that engine or the GM 3800 would be perfect in a Vanagon.

www.thefixitworkshop.com
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine paint for valve covers? Reply with quote

those valve covers turned out perfect. Nice work IdahoDoug. Great tip on the syringe.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine paint for valve covers? Reply with quote

That's beautiful work. It's gonna look great in a Vanagon some day.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine paint for valve covers? Reply with quote

200 pony power stock. I ported and polished the head so I my have a few extras. Oh man - I refinished the block, stripped the head to clean aluminum and repainted the oil pan. It would look amazing in a Vanagon. I'll have to post a picture of it later this week when I get the head on. Work of art.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: