Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ghias on the Silver Screen
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 40, 41, 42  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

This popped up on FB this morning but my search in this topic for "Orchestral Manoeuvres in The Dark" has revealed nothing. I know it must be here but I can't bothered to search through 30 pages to find it, so here it is again.

Link

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

Movie "Spark" (1998), filmed in a small desert village; unfortunately I can't find its location per internet search. Main character Byron's (Terrence Howard seen here) 1980-era BMW 320i breaks down while he's driving from Chicago to Calif. A local young man Mooney (Brendan Sexton III) offers to help by going to a local junkyard to try to find a starter for it. There are many VWs in the yard, including a stripped down late Ghia Cabrio.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Sebastian Gaeta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

In honor of the late, great George Segal, a scene from his 1974 film California Split.

No, not the Beetle, look in the background at the upper right!

'63 Beetle Turkis
‘64 Karmann Ghia Coupe Manilagelb/Black Roof
'64 356C cabriolet Signalrot
'65 356C coupe Rubinrot
'66 Single Cab Velvet Green
'67 Karmann Ghia convertible Heliosblau
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: 007 and red Ghia Vert Reply with quote

From 2005:
Bella Ghia wrote:
Was watching 007 Octopussy on Spike TV over the Holidays and saw a pre 69??? red Ghia Vert loaded up with girls. Only see it mostly from the back. James needs a ride and they left him on the side of the road. Tail light was missing and top down.

Louie
Kommercial posted some photos of this Ghia in 2002, but I came up with these of somewhat better quality and detail. Fake front grill, missing OEM blinkers, flared front wheelwells, filled-in fresh air intakes.

1970 US-style rectangular rear reflectors (Euro-market were round), '72-style left red-blinker taillamp lens which overlaps the lower reflector, crudely patched left rocker. Although the Ghia stops as if to pick Bond up, the driver and friends (5 occupants!) were just teasing him and drives off as he approaches. BT city code on license plate is Bayreuth (pronounced By- roit) in northern Bavaria.
J1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

Not really the silver screen but Tim Allen has this 71 Ghia with Porsche mods. Shown in Petersen’s YouTube channel

The video of him giving a tour of his collection... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fIT1Ffa27ng
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

J1 wrote:
Not really the silver screen but Tim Allen has this 71 Ghia with Porsche mods. Shown in Petersen’s YouTube channel

The video of him giving a tour of his collection... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fIT1Ffa27ng

Geezzz, that was hard to watch.

.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>

# 303 and #156

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

Fish wrote:
Geezzz, that was hard to watch.

Yeah, he admitted that he doesn't usually give tours...and it shows Confused

This early/mid-'60s Ghia coupe showed up in a TV documentary flim about the late Rev. Sun Myung Moon and his cult of 'Moonies'.

'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
J1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

rcooled wrote:
This early/mid-'60s Ghia coupe showed up in a TV documentary flim about the late Rev. Sun Myung Moon and his cult of 'Moonies'.

Anyone know if any Ghias were shipped originally from the factory to South Korea? Or is that photo in some other locale?
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

J1 wrote:
Or is that photo in some other locale?

The next frame shows a blk/yel CA license plate on the car, which would be correct for '63-'69. The 'Moonie' cult was active worldwide back in the '60s & '70s.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

The latest episode of 911 Lone Star features a great shot of a Ghia vert in the parking lot - 27:01 into the episode. It appears to be a 70/71 model as it has the large wrap around front turn signals with towel bar bumpers.

https://www.fox.com/watch/dfc69db3996452998421ef50b8376d71/

rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

When I finally get mine completed, I plan on offering it up to movies/TV shows being filmed in the DC area. I get casting notices all the time for productions, I'm a Screen Actors Guild member, and many times they are looking for period correct vehicles...who knows, one day you might be posting mine in this thread!!
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
paul_round
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

Nice one Jeff, I’m in the business too, but in VFX.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

Battered white ~'68/69 Coupe, "Charlie's Angels" TV show, filmed in Marina del Rey in the Los Angeles, California area. Angel Sabrina Duncan (Kate Jackson) on the bike and the antagonist on the ground behind the Ghia. "Little Angels of the Night" S2E21 1978.

"The Six Million Dollar Man" TV show. Col. Steve Austin (Lee Majors) acts as a Big Brother to a teenager and goes along to a local basketball game. An abandoned Ghia is in the alley. Appears to be late '64/'65 due to the left-hanging air cleaner and all-black front wheel (I know, any Beetle 5-bolt wheel fits), though fan shroud shape looks like stale air. "Big Brother" S3E22 1976.

Custom-painted turquoise metallic '60 thru '65 Ghia Cabrio, "Counting Cars" filmed in Las Vegas, Nevada. Parked next to a Bentley which show host Danny Koker was considering at an auction. "Little Red Corvette" S9E4.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

1973 movie "The Seven-Ups" filmed in New York City. NYC police detective Buddy (Roy Scheider) investigates who killed his partner. Car chase sequence is superb, from which I took these screen shots. Many VWs being passed, or parked. Buddy chases the antagonists in his grey 1973 Pontiac Ventura (brand version of Chevy Nova) who are driving a "midnight blue" black 1973 Pontiac Grand Ville 4-door sedan. Baddies are Bo and Moon (played by actual stunt driver Bill Hickman who also drove the black Dodge Charger in the "Bullitt" car chase; and Richard Lynch). IMO Buddy's engine sound has been partially dubbed in from Bullitt's Mustang from that movie's car chase, complete with engine shifting pauses despite the Ventura being an automatic (!?).

White with black top Ghia Cabrio parked on westbound W. 96th Street; Bo driving the Grand Ville.

Black early 1960's Ghia Coupe parked on NB side of Riverside Drive, seen by Buddy in his Ventura who is 2 cars behind the Grand Ville. Green/white Deluxe Splittie bus parked up the street at left curb background Smile . IMDB Trivia mentions that Bill Hickman also drove the Ventura during some of the filming. Comparing some details of the driver's right hand in both photos supports this.
udo dreisoerner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

old german tv video story with karmann factory, type 14 and 34
look 8:46 - 12:14
https://www.ndr.de/geschichte/ndr_retro/Es-geht-um...wjPGobH0C4

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

Movie "What's Up, Doc" (1972) filmed in San Francisco, California. At the start of the long car chase scene near the end of the movie, just after Judy Maxwell and Howard Bannister (Barbra Streisand, Ryan O'Neal) start off on the 3-wheeled delivery bike, there is a battered Ghia Coupe across the street. Year range would be '60 thru '65. What a bonus, 5 aircooled cars in a row in my first shot! IMDB lists location as California Street in San Francisco, Calif.

Soon after, there's a Ghia Coupe parked at the curb partially visible beyond Judy's shoulder (middle arrow), seen only for a split-second. Location: 23rd Ave. & Balboa St. in SF. I already have the red Fastback at right in the Fastback gallery.
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

The battered Ghia coupe looks like a low light, no? Depending on the angle of the camera shot, the bottom of lowlight headlights typically seem at the same level as the top of the towel bars. Hard to see for sure?

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

udo dreisoerner wrote:

Nice find, Udo. I just watched it and noticed that were was not a single Ghia Cabriolet either in the Karmann factory segments, nor in general street scenes. Sad
Also noticed on the train loading segment, you see Ghias that have no Cosmoline transport coating (lower train level) that have factory-installed hubcaps, most of those have Euro-spec bumpers. On the top train level all have Cosmoline, some have hubcaps with Euro-spec bumpers. Ghias with Cosmoline and export bumpers have no hubcaps and are likely US models.
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
udo dreisoerner wrote:

Nice find, Udo. I just watched it and noticed that were was not a single Ghia Cabriolet either in the Karmann factory segments, nor in general street scenes. Sad
Also noticed on the train loading segment, you see Ghias that have no Cosmoline transport coating (lower train level) that have factory-installed hubcaps, most of those have Euro-spec bumpers. On the top train level all have Cosmoline, some have hubcaps with Euro-spec bumpers. Ghias with Cosmoline and export bumpers have no hubcaps and are likely US models.

What factory is this? It looks like they are building 356 coupes in the back ground.

# 303 and #156

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
udo dreisoerner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

Fish wrote:
Rome wrote:
udo dreisoerner wrote:

What factory is this? It looks like they are building 356 coupes in the back ground.

it is the karmann factory in osnabrück. they build 356 too
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 40, 41, 42  Next
Jump to:
Page 31 of 42

Jump to: