Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1969 vw fastback fuel injection wiring ?
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
boldgroover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:57 am    Post subject: 1969 vw fastback fuel injection wiring ? Reply with quote

hi guys just got the engine back in after a break of about 3-4 months and am struggling to remember where the wires go , in particular a double white wire both connected on one spade marked 18 / 35 , thought it might go to the starter but not 100% sure ? also which wires go here in picture ? think one form positive coil but dont know other ? many thanks
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 vw fastback fuel injection wiring ? Reply with quote

Kickdown switch wiring is in this diagram (FCool:
boldgroover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 vw fastback fuel injection wiring ? Reply with quote

many thanks KTPhil , would you know where the other wire which is double white both on one spade marked 18/35 goes ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 vw fastback fuel injection wiring ? Reply with quote

I am thinking that goes down to terminal 50 at the starter solenoid, but lets be sure before you try and blow something. It is likely part of the cold start jet wiring, but I'm not familiar with the early version (I have a '71).
boldgroover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 vw fastback fuel injection wiring ? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
I am thinking that goes down to terminal 50 at the starter solenoid, but lets be sure before you try and blow something. It is likely part of the cold start jet wiring, but I'm not familiar with the early version (I have a '71).

thanks was thinking the same thing and sure ive seen it somewhere on here but carnt remember where , was looking for a diagram that showed the wire but no luck Smile
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 vw fastback fuel injection wiring ? Reply with quote

boldgroover wrote:
KTPhil wrote:

thanks was thinking the same thing and sure ive seen it somewhere on here but carnt remember where , was looking for a diagram that showed the wire but no luck Smile

Yes, since FI was an option, VW kept the FI wiring diagram separate from the main wiring diagram, so it's not always easy to tell how they play together. The FI wire numbers usually don't have anything to do with the chassis terminal numbers, adding confusion.
boldgroover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 vw fastback fuel injection wiring ? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
boldgroover wrote:
KTPhil wrote:

Yes, since FI was an option, VW kept the FI wiring diagram separate from the main wiring diagram, so it's not always easy to tell how they play together. The FI wire numbers usually don't have anything to do with the chassis terminal numbers, adding confusion.
yup exactly 😁 just this one wire now and I’m set , just hope somebody knows , thanks for your help 👍
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 vw fastback fuel injection wiring ? Reply with quote

Maybe post a photo of the present wiring at the solenoid, and also see if the wire length seems compatible with it connecting there.
boldgroover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 vw fastback fuel injection wiring ? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Maybe post a photo of the present wiring at the solenoid, and also see if the wire length seems compatible with it connecting there.
yes already tried the wire on the starter and it is a perfect length , I will post a pic tomorrow, cheers 👍
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 vw fastback fuel injection wiring ? Reply with quote

Note that if the wire is connected to the wrong terminal on the solenoid, it runs the jet all the time and makes it run very rich. A photo of what's there will help us advise which terminal to connect it to (and reveal if it's already connected to some other FI wire!).

By the way, if the wire is what we suspect, you can just tape it up and leave it disconnected; the car will run normally.

And since that cold start system only comes on when its very cold and while cranking, you probably will never notice/need it. Many disconnect the wire and plug the line leading to the jet for this reason.
boldgroover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 vw fastback fuel injection wiring ? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Note that if the wire is connected to the wrong terminal on the solenoid, it runs the jet all the time and makes it run very rich. A photo of what's there will help us advise which terminal to connect it to (and reveal if it's already connected to some other FI wire!).

By the way, if the wire is what we suspect, you can just tape it up and leave it disconnected; the car will run normally.

And since that cold start system only comes on when its very cold and while cranking, you probably will never notice/need it. Many disconnect the wire and plug the line leading to the jet for this reason.

picture of starter motor hope this helps Smile
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 vw fastback fuel injection wiring ? Reply with quote

Most likely it goes to that unused terminal on the solenoid. The wire marked 18 probably leads to ECU terminal 18. I'm not sure why the other is marked 35, when 50 is the chassis terminal number, but like I said before, the numbering is not identical.

Test for continuity of the double connector of the mystery wire to one of the pins on the cold start jet connector. It should be connected there, if it's the wire I am thinking it is.

The wiring we are interested in is at the upper left. Cold start jet is 10.

boldgroover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 vw fastback fuel injection wiring ? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Most likely it goes to that unused terminal on the solenoid. The wire marked 18 probably leads to ECU terminal 18. I'm not sure why the other is marked 35, when 50 is the chassis terminal number, but like I said before, the numbering is not identical.

Test for continuity of the double connector of the mystery wire to one of the pins on the cold start jet connector. It should be connected there, if it's the wire I am thinking it is.

The wiring we are interested in is at the upper left. Cold start jet is 10.

ok cool I’ll check it out and come back to you , will get the fuel tank fitted then test drive 👌👍
jbillow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 vw fastback fuel injection wiring ? Reply with quote

terminal 18/35 goes to terminal 50 on the starter, 35 goes back to the cold start relay and is combined with #33 which goes to your cold start switch.

boldgroover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 vw fastback fuel injection wiring ? Reply with quote

jbillow wrote:
terminal 18/35 goes to terminal 50 on the starter, 35 goes back to the cold start relay and is combined with #33 which goes to your cold start switch.

thankyou very much jbillow much appreciated Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: