Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

upgrade instrument panel lights
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kozmob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:03 pm    Post subject: upgrade instrument panel lights Reply with quote

I cannot see my instruments at times, especially when in sunny or bright light. I'm thinking of upgrading the bulbs in the instrument panel to boost visibility.

I see several youtube vids explaining how to remove the instrument cluster and lights, so I can handle that part. Any bulbs obviously have to be dimmable.

Has anybody here done this? Happy with the results? What bulbs did you use?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
smores
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: upgrade instrument panel lights Reply with quote

Depending on your year, it is very difficult to replace the bulbs. They are mostly built into the different modules. (heater, switches, instrument cluster etc. ) My heater control slider light meant cutting heat-staked parts and removing a tiny bulb from a built-in holder and re-threading.

I believe the little bulbs in the instrument cluster are all individual bulbs with no bases. I forget what they're called. But again, very fiddly.

Not to say don't try, but it isn't a walk in the park.

that's for my '93
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: upgrade instrument panel lights Reply with quote

Are you sure the dash light dimmer rheostat is turned fully on?

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Kozmob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: upgrade instrument panel lights Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Are you sure the dash light dimmer rheostat is turned fully on?

Hi bud. Yes, it is. I dial the rheostat when in the dark and the lights respond but not bright enough.

Last edited by Kozmob on Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:41 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kozmob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: upgrade instrument panel lights Reply with quote

I saw this youtube video of removing the cluster and the lights. Overall a pretty complex process, but removing the lightes looked pretty east; just a twist with a pair of pliers. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXM7ZreBuuY

smores wrote:
Depending on your year, it is very difficult to replace the bulbs. They are mostly built into the different modules. (heater, switches, instrument cluster etc. ) My heater control slider light meant cutting heat-staked parts and removing a tiny bulb from a built-in holder and re-threading.

I believe the little bulbs in the instrument cluster are all individual bulbs with no bases. I forget what they're called. But again, very fiddly.

that's for my '93
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: upgrade instrument panel lights Reply with quote

Later Eurovan owners don't realize the poor dim lighting of the early van gauges. Especially when it's bright out. For a while I had a piece of white paper at the base of the gauges that would reflect natural light up into the gauges.

If you do pull your cluster and twist one of those lights out, could you kindly add a picture or part number for that twist out bulb. I will do the same if I get to it first.
Late model cabin air filter on 93
Euro spec bumper install on 93
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
smores
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: upgrade instrument panel lights Reply with quote

Joshwa wrote:
Later Eurovan owners don't realize the poor dim lighting of the early van gauges. Especially when it's bright out. For a while I had a piece of white paper at the base of the gauges that would reflect natural light up into the gauges.

If you do pull your cluster and twist one of those lights out, could you kindly add a picture or part number for that twist out bulb. I will do the same if I get to it first.

Interesting, maybe like Zeitgeist 13 said related to the rheostat. Mine is a 93 and instrument lights seem quite bright. Maybe broken rheostats that only go part way up.

Or maybe mine go to 11...
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: upgrade instrument panel lights Reply with quote

Sometimes you can cycle the rheostat rapidly a number of times to clean up any built up corrosion on the contact faces. This happens to older Mercedes, and I often just solder a bridge across to bypass the resister altogether.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Whridlsoncestood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: upgrade instrument panel lights Reply with quote

Agreed on the later models. The cluster is so deep in the dash that on bright sunny days it’s cast in a shadow void and the gauges are nearly impossible to see.
RJ95
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: upgrade instrument panel lights Reply with quote

Hello,
We have a 95 EVC and are looking for advice related to this topic-- our issue is the lights behind the heat control panel.

Does anyone have experience changing out these lights on our specific year?

If you do and don't mind- please share your experience-- we are wondering how difficult is it to change these bulbs? what parts are needed? tools? part source?, etc

Advice is appreciated!!
Thank you Smile
smores
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: upgrade instrument panel lights Reply with quote

RJ95 wrote:
Hello,
We have a 95 EVC and are looking for advice related to this topic-- our issue is the lights behind the heat control panel.

Does anyone have experience changing out these lights on our specific year?

If you do and don't mind- please share your experience-- we are wondering how difficult is it to change these bulbs? what parts are needed? tools? part source?, etc

Advice is appreciated!!
Thank you Smile

Hi yes. I did that light on my 93. It’s a pain in the butt. I think I took pictures of the process though. Let me look back and post some at lunchtime.
RJ95
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: upgrade instrument panel lights Reply with quote

smores wrote:

that's for my '93

Thanks-- photos would be great! We also wondered what was meant with cutting the heat-staked parts... how did you reassemble? We are novices, but are willing to attempt small repairs and upgrades. again, all advice is appreciated!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: