Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Uberaudi's lo-pro ABA swap
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kompressorgolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Uberaudi's lo-pro ABA swap Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
That really is a well thought out swap. Everything just looks like it belongs in those exact locations.

This is a Ritchie staple... Wink

This thing is so bitchin, and hearing it lope with that 260 cam is preeeeeety sweet indeed.
uberaudi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Uberaudi's lo-pro ABA swap Reply with quote

Cheers mate!

Vwhammer, per the TT website, a 260 cam is fine with the obd2 valvetrain but once you go to a 266 you need to upgrade. They also state that the 266 'is the best cam we have dynoed with the Digifant fuel Systems'.
vwhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Uberaudi's lo-pro ABA swap Reply with quote

uberaudi wrote:

Vwhammer, per the TT website, a 260 cam is fine with the obd2 valvetrain but once you go to a 266 you need to upgrade. They also state that the 266 'is the best cam we have dynoed with the Digifant fuel Systems'.

Ahh gotcha.
Well I guess I'm glad I went with the 266 cam and springs then.

Pretty pumped to see how it works.

Pretty much every route I take to get anywhere cool from where I am ends up in some kind of mountains so I have always kind of planned on a low boost turbo set up to help with the hills at altitude.
If I can get 160-180hp with 7lbs of boost that would work for me but I don't know how realistic that is.
Honestly I have a lot of big plans for this van so who knows if it will get the turbo set up.
Might end up with another engine and trans before any of the boost stuff happens.
The goal for now is to simply get it on the road and enjoy it while I design and gather parts for the next stage.

After seeing the layout of your engine bay it makes me realize I can do better with mine so I may think about redoing some things with the NA layout.

4x4 build
https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/volkswagen-vanagon-4x4-conversion.162055/
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Uberaudi's lo-pro ABA swap Reply with quote

vwhammer wrote:

Pretty much every route I take to get anywhere cool from where I am ends up in some kind of mountains so I have always kind of planned on a low boost turbo set up to help with the hills at altitude.
If I can get 160-180hp with 7lbs of boost that would work for me but I don't know how realistic that is.

that's essentially a 99-2004 1.8T territory.
the 98-99 AEB 1.8T is 150hp. @8psi
later models are 180hp at ~12psi.
I do still have to downshift into 3rd in Mtns.. well one should anyways to alleviate the sideloading of 4th gear when loaded and torqued up
I've found that in REAL Mtns. that your into 2nd and 3rd anyways because of the twists/turns of the climb. and the ABA loves RPMs so hold 3rd out for good in it's power band.. the simplicity of the NA I4 is beauty. I have ALOT more things that can break, pop or go wrong on a trip because of the 1.8T vs my old NA I4.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Uberaudi's lo-pro ABA swap Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
that's essentially a 99-2004 1.8T territory.
the 98-99 AEB 1.8T is 150hp. @8psi
later models are 180hp at ~12psi.
I do still have to downshift into 3rd in Mtns.. well one should anyways to alleviate the sideloading of 4th gear when loaded and torqued up
I've found that in REAL Mtns. that your into 2nd and 3rd anyways because of the twists/turns of the climb. and the ABA loves RPMs so hold 3rd out for good in it's power band.. the simplicity of the NA I4 is beauty. I have ALOT more things that can break, pop or go wrong on a trip because of the 1.8T vs my old NA I4.

This is partly hindsight but one reason I chose the NA inline 4 was due to simplicity. We all have to down shift at some point in our trips. I do notice a power drop in higher altitudes but I could really care less; I'm already huffing it up a hill at that point.

It would be fun to do a turbo engine even just for learning more. But, for me, going NA is just less stuff to possibly go wrong and less worry. I do find that I watch the tach on my '88 ABA but for many miles on my tach-less ABA '81, I just listened to the engine along with watching the speedo, to some degree.

This is probably just me, but having more gauges, lights, to watch out for, e.g. worrying about EGT's, would take away from the road trip experience.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
uberaudi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Uberaudi's lo-pro ABA swap Reply with quote

A couple of days ago the family and I returned from another successful spring Utah trip with this 'new' power train. With 1500+ miles of mixed insterstate, highway, and helacious backroads, this marks the second time this rig has earned the 'No Toolbag Required' status. I never even pulled them from storage, or even thought about it for that matter.

Trip prep was minimal, but last year my coolant temps were higher than I really wanted to see (215ish) and looking back, I never did hear the low speed fan come on. With time escaping me before the trip, I ordered up a new temp switch, some radiator baffles, and Vanistan's heater valve which all installed easily. Two days later we were packed and gone. This time around, my temps never exceeded 193 degrees, even on long, fully loaded 3rd gear pulls. I'm not sure which part made the biggest difference, but having the coolant system ironed out sure put my mind at ease.

With all the washboard that was traveled, new shocks are now on my radar. Radflow or a Fox? Maybe whatever is in stock when I'm ready to pull the trigger. I found that lowering tire pressure to 25psi and cruising at about 45 mph was surprisingly effective at smoothing the undulations. New shiny parts can only help with that right?
I may even bump up the front ride height with some of T3's Delrin spring spacers. Thanks for the tip Sebastian! I'm currently running Schwenk springs and Koni (f)/Gabriel Hi-Jacker air shock (r) which puts me at about 17.25" from center of wheel to fender. I scrubbed a couple times dipping through washes but this is with 215/75-15's Generals so that may be the issue. Another inch up front would certainly be welcome.

Over the course of 11 days, I saw a few Vanagons, met one owner, and got passed by a Syncro Westy tdi on the back of a flatbed, lol. No real TR, but here are some pics nonetheless.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Size advantage goes to my girls!

Hooray!

Lizard dreams...

revolution337
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Uberaudi's lo-pro ABA swap Reply with quote

I love it all, the scenery, the family bonding, the problem free van. A++!
2000 BMW Z3 roadster
-Mark
uberaudi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Uberaudi's lo-pro ABA swap Reply with quote

Thanks! It takes a lot of work (in more ways than one!) to get to that level of enjoyment.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Uberaudi's lo-pro ABA swap Reply with quote

The smooth stone (sand stone?) images are other worldly. Very cool.

Are you running an 87º thermostat?

Neil.

uberaudi wrote:
A couple of days ago the family and I returned from another successful spring Utah trip with this 'new' power train.

Trip prep was minimal, but last year my coolant temps were higher than I really wanted to see (215ish) and looking back, I never did hear the low speed fan come on. With time escaping me before the trip, I ordered up a new temp switch, some radiator baffles, and Vanistan's heater valve which all installed easily. Two days later we were packed and gone. This time around, my temps never exceeded 193 degrees, even on long, fully loaded 3rd gear pulls. I'm not sure which part made the biggest difference, but having the coolant system ironed out sure put my mind at ease.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
uberaudi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Uberaudi's lo-pro ABA swap Reply with quote

Some type of sandstone, but I'm no geologist!

I'm running the stock temp thermostat which I believe is an 87, so yes.
rogertj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Uberaudi's lo-pro ABA swap Reply with quote

Wondefull! Its a great sensation when it starts to run without no tools needed. I have just finished mine a couple of days ago and I think I got it sorted out.

Great to see this kind of threads! Congratulations another successful I4
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Uberaudi's lo-pro ABA swap Reply with quote

rogertj wrote:
Wondefull! Its a great sensation when it starts to run without no tools needed. I have just finished mine a couple of days ago and I think I got it sorted out.

Great to see this kind of threads! Congratulations another successful I4

Just makes you wonder (likely for the 1000th time) why VW didn't just use the diesel platform and install I-4's instead of the WBX? I mean, it was a done deal, why all the R&D and tooling costs when they had a plug n play solution? Even the 1.8s at the time wouldn't out performed the 1.9 WBX.

One of those unsolvable mysteries...
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Uberaudi's lo-pro ABA swap Reply with quote

Well, I should know what that rock is; my dad was a geologist. Wink

Thanks for thermostat info, glad your conversion is running great.

Neil.

uberaudi wrote:
Some type of sandstone, but I'm no geologist!

I'm running the stock temp thermostat which I believe is an 87, so yes.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
uberaudi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Uberaudi's lo-pro ABA swap Reply with quote

I just say it's part of the _______ formation, then nobody I know can say anything different, ha!

KHughes, the thought has crossed my mind as well. VW had the block, head, and diesel bits to put it all together at the time, but I suppose the x-flow head came a bit later. Maybe the 8v's didn't have enough low end grunt to push these breadboxes around. Even then, it seems less expensive from a R&D perspective to refine what you already have (8v's we're making big power on the racing side) than to start over entirely with a different layout. Who knows! Maybe they just wanted adults to have a Lego kit of their own?

Roger, congrats! It is indeed a good feeling to have a dialed setup.

The one thing that's still missing from my setup is that low end torque. The ABA is a fantastic motor for sure and I wouldn't even be typing this if I had a Gelande first gear. I do however have a 1z TDI mostly built sitting on an engine stand...hmmm...it's a plug and play setup too.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: