Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CarKing car cover
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:23 pm    Post subject: CarKing car cover Reply with quote

I purchased a CoverKing "Moving Blanket" car cover from CarId for my 67 Beetle convertible last year before COVID, as I was expecting my restoration to be done soon. It is finally finished, and I put it on to discover... it's not wide enough to cover my running boards (and the back stitching looks off, so I can't seem to make it even). It is well outside the return time, and CarId basically said (and I'm paraphrasing, here): your issue is invalid and we have no contractual obligation to talk with you. Contacting Coverking, I got the response that their cover patterns do not cover the "optional running board equipment" on Beetles. They didn't respond when I pointed out that every factory production Beetle has running boards.

I got this to help protect my Beetle from kids and bikes in my small garage.

1) Has anyone had experience with this cover or Coverking covers on tbeir Beetle and,if so, did they work for you?
2) Do you have any other suggestions on how to protect my bug in my garage?

Thanks!!
ISO Albuquerque "Imported Motors" dealership paraphernalia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jack1448
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: CarKing car cover Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your experience with CoverKing and CarID. I have no experience with either although you could leave your feedback in the Community/Business section.

Personally, I would not expect a car cover to protect against anything other dust accumulation in your garage. Maybe it would help if someone brushed up against it with their belt buckle or some other metal/rigid item. I would be thinking about some kind of temporary wall/barrier that could be erected when the car was in the garage and removed when you wanted access to it.
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: CarKing car cover Reply with quote

I have a CoverKing cover on my '54 Beetle and it is a very tight fit. It does cover my running boards, but barely.

The CoverKing covers appear to be cut from new patterns that use less material than the 65-year-old Marion Weber/MG Mitten patterns that Covercraft and other suppliers use.

If CoverKing uses the same pattern for both sedans and convertibles, there is no way the cover will reach the running boards on a convertible; they are that tight.

Agree that their customer service rep is utterly clueless.
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: CarKing car cover Reply with quote

jack1448 wrote:

Personally, I would not expect a car cover to protect against anything other dust accumulation in your garage. Maybe it would help if someone brushed up against it with their belt buckle or some other metal/rigid item. I would be thinking about some kind of temporary wall/barrier that could be erected when the car was in the garage and removed when you wanted access to it.

That's a good idea - I will just go buy some foam insulation and put it up with a couple of stands. I got the "moving blanket" cover because it's thick material that states it's made to help protect a car in a kid-friendly garage. Oh, well.
ISO Albuquerque "Imported Motors" dealership paraphernalia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: CarKing car cover Reply with quote

A car cover in a garage invites laziness and less care than if the kids were clearly aware of the perils of getting too close to the car. Wink

A kiddo would rather explain a butt print to you today than have you discover a handlebar dent when you pull the cover off next Sunday.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: