Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official lazy person's stupid question thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 124, 125, 126 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

The slave moves the clutch lever about 9/16ths when the pedal is depressed.

Duncan
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

i haven't measured one but that seems about right eyeballing it. the movement is amplified by the beam of the control arm.

so. next test. grab the clutch cross shaft arm lever with your hand and move it in the direction the slave would push it. other than a little shake, you normally wouldn't be able to move that arm without hydraulic help. if you can move it by hand 1/2" or so, it's not pushing against the disc spring fingers. but since it DID return the slave piston to the rest position, it is likely fine. it's just something you want to check to make sure there's LOTS of spring tension there.

with the engine running at idle, do you hear any transmission noise difference with the clutch depressed or let out? when in neutral, you'll hear the gear cluster rattle about with the clutch let out and that noise goes away with it pushed in.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zephyr_shreds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
what is this hose for. What does it do
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

The hose is connected to the Vacuum Pump there on the right.

It is collapsed because it is not the correct hose for vacuum.

It goes to the front of the vehicle to the Brake Booster which is extremely important..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zephyr_shreds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

I drove without it to get a new hose cuz the old one collapsed and my brakes were super hard to press. Some oil squirted out. The brakes work good with it collapsed, as long as my engine doesn’t explode because of it I think I’m fine for now. Anyone have part number for correct hose?
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Zephyr_shreds wrote:
The brakes work good with it collapsed, as long as my engine doesn’t explode because of it I think I’m fine for now.

Shocked

*looks at location*

Yep.
brickster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Not sure, but I think it’s N0203901?
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

You should NOT drive without a hose there. Without a hose you will lose any power assist on the brakes AND you will be sucking unfiltered air into the crankcase. You also run the risk of seizing the vac pump which would also stop the oil pump and could grenade the engine.

The collapsed hose is also unwise, but certainly better than no hose at all. At least then all you risk is the loss of your power assist on your brakes and being unable to stop.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Zephyr_shreds wrote:
I drove without it to get a new hose cuz the old one collapsed and my brakes were super hard to press. Some oil squirted out. The brakes work good with it collapsed, as long as my engine doesn’t explode because of it I think I’m fine for now. Anyone have part number for correct hose?

You are using cheap fuel line for vacuum hose, you need to buy the correct vacuum rated hose which will not collapse in use. Don't know what size you need but here is some 3/8" hose.

https://www.amazon.com/Gates-27232-Power-Vacuum-St...amp;sr=8-4
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

What is this plug? I am currently looking, but if anyone happens to know off the top of the their head, that would be handy.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Somehow my post evaporated. Clutch lever is rock solid, No movement of any kind with hand or hammer. Can not depress the lever at all manually.

In the middle of the night, someone musta stole my pressure plate. Luckily A cubed member and will get it flat bedded to my mechanic about 5 miles away. In the mean time this may be a good time to rotate the slave 90º.

Duncan
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I just installed two 100w Newpowa panels on the roof*, with a Renogy Rover Elite 40amp MPPT controller. The input voltage is around 17.5v, but the house battery is being maintained at around 11.5v.

*I also installed an external input port in the side of the van for a third 100w panel, ....

Turns out my nearly new AGM battery was just too weak. It's now charging properly with a replacement battery. All is well.

Glad you found the issue Casey.

What did you use for an external port? Did you install it in place of city water connection or ?

Thanks,

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
What is this plug?

Looks like oil pressure switch(es) connector.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:

What is this plug? I am currently looking, but if anyone happens to know off the top of the their head, that would be handy.

As Neil said. A good idea would be to follow it as it crosses over the top of the engine to the oil sensor located below the water pump on rear of engine.
It usually becomes dry and brittle from years of emgine heat and the insulation cracks.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
4Gears4Tires wrote:

As Neil said. A good idea would be to follow it as it crosses over the top of the engine to the oil sensor located below the water pump on rear of engine.
It usually becomes dry and brittle from years of emgine heat and the insulation cracks.

I built a new harness for mine using high temp appliance wire.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

One brown wire does indeed go to the oil pressure switch. The other brown wire is just free hanging. Apparently I didn't know what to do with it at some point and stuffed it under the intake manifold.

I'm not sure why I didn't just follow the lead, stressed out I guess. The motor is giving me some real issues and it's a big 2 steps forward 3 steps back situation. I am worse off now than I was a few days ago. I keep finding issues and fixing them and somehow it gets worse!

I was chasing the highway hiccup that only started after I installed a new GW AFM harness and rebuilt AFM and then today it has developed this weird vibration that vibrates the whole van. Only happens under load, disappears when coasting in gear or neutral. Engine free revs just fine. Like a bad wheel bearing or something but tied to the motor. I just fixed the alternator harness because the blue wire (insulation cracked) and the fuel pump wire (insulation gone, half the strands gone) looked terrible. The PO had wrapped them in electrical tape and I hadn't ever removed it until a thread I read about misfires mentioned the blue wire. I was very hopeful that was the fix. No change, still vibrates under load.

And when I went to test drive it, I turned it on, let it idle a bit, ran in to get my wallet, came back out and saw the red light flashing. That wouldn't worry me too much since it was maybe 30 seconds, but earlier in the day I ran it for awhile standing at the back of the motor to verify timing. I don't think the light was on when I went to turn it off, but I certainly wasn't looking for it and probably just reached in and shut it off. I had messed with the coolant lines earlier to reroute some lines. So maybe I smoked a 2nd wbx. Real cool.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Never turn your back on a running Vanagon!
They are like a demon child, once you're out of sight all sorts of trouble happens!

A low coolant level light does not automatically = a destroyed engine.

Was it hot? Engine bubbling and popping after you shut it down?

You are probably fine.

Vibration under load?
To me this is often drive train.
Loose CV, worn CV, you have a Syncro so drive shaft comes into play.
Broken engine/trans mount.

Hiccup at speed?
Injectors need servicing?
Ignition component
Poor fuel delivery

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert

Last edited by djkeev on Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:06 am; edited 1 time in total
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
Somehow my post evaporated. Clutch lever is rock solid, No movement of any kind with hand or hammer. Can not depress the lever at all manually.

In the middle of the night, someone musta stole my pressure plate. Luckily A cubed member and will get it flat bedded to my mechanic about 5 miles away. In the mean time this may be a good time to rotate the slave 90º.

Duncan

i don't think you'd ever move it with hand pressure but you'd said it moved 9/16" with hydraulic. BUT you should be able to lift the lever in the opposite direction the slave pushes after pushing the slave piston back in the cylinder a skooch.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

General Question
I have a vehicle with an in tank fuel pump thats a real pita to replace
Was thinking of relocating the pump.
I need approx 43 lbs. If a pump puts out 60
A regulator would be used post pump to drop it down to 43ish?
In essence I would end up with 2 regulators 1 on the return 1 on supply
Is this correct thinking?
T
Rear discs
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Dave, I am thinking drivetrain too. It happens in all gears and the motor revs freely so it's probably not the trans. Fingers crossed. I am going to do a compression check on it regardless. All the axles are a year old. I think I'm going to start on a diagnostic thread on it. Dang piece of crap! I ordered a top of the line timing light just to eliminate that variable. I wish the valves had a spec other than "touch and 1.5-2 turns." What is touch? When it stops wobbling back and forth? Because if I push down on it it's not touching anymore. Is it all the way finger mashed in and that's the touch point? But I do see that the timing light drops a flash every now and again. I can hold it steady at 2k rpm and every 10-15 seconds there is a drop in a flash or two. I'm assuming that's a mild misfire?

DuncanS wrote:

Are you trying to move the clutch pedal in the cab or the lever on the trans? I fell victim to the same thought and actually pulled my trans to verify that everything was ok. Someone on here told me I was silly because I do not have a hydraulic press for a finger. That is correct, I don't. There is some slop in the lever, about a half inch, after that you're not pressing in the lever on the trans.

space wrote:
General Question
I have a vehicle with an in tank fuel pump thats a real pita to replace
Was thinking of relocating the pump.
I need approx 43 lbs. If a pump puts out 60
A regulator would be used post pump to drop it down to 43ish?
In essence I would end up with 2 regulators 1 on the return 1 on supply
Is this correct thinking?
T

No, you only need one on the return after the fuel rails. The pump will fill the lines and the rails with as much pressure as the return regulator allows.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 124, 125, 126 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Page 125 of 193

Jump to: