Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Diagnosing pulsing lights
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:13 pm    Post subject: Diagnosing pulsing lights Reply with quote

I’m working to learn the cause of why my headlights and interior lights pulse at low RPM’s. The pulsing directly correlates with the speed of the engine. I’m getting full battery charge from the alternator so wonder if the issue resides with the voltage regulator? How do I test the condition of the voltage regulator?

Or if it turns out that mine is in good shape, what else might cause the pulsing lights at low RPM’s?

Thanks
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Diagnosing pulsing lights Reply with quote

A bad alternator diode can cause this, as can a slipping belt, loose alternator wiring harness connection, or funky mechanical voltage regulator (the electronic ones don't do this).

For info on testing the regulator, search the Gallery for Alternator Voltage Regulator Test Setup, and read the entry notes.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Diagnosing pulsing lights Reply with quote

Old electromechanical regulators have electromagnets and bimetallic heater elements and contacts, and they bang-bang modulate the field connection by opening and closing the contacts, turning the field on and off, with the heater controlling how long the contacts remain open for.

So the battery voltage goes up and down, lights dim and brighten, but the average voltage is correct.

If you have any cheap LED lights with resistors and three white LEDS in series , they will dim and brighten even more noticeably.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Diagnosing pulsing lights Reply with quote

yeah, non-electronic regulator will do it, along with a tired battery, battery connections needing a good cleaning, seems when the battery is about done the connections need more & more attention. Also running a modern stereo with the memory wire (yellow) always drawing the battery down doesn't help matters. Sad
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Diagnosing pulsing lights Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

The battery is about four years old. I keep it in the house in the winter.
I don’t even have a radio. And I have no LED lights any where.

Can I pull the voltage regulator and rest it per Telford dorr?
Should I start there?

I’m much more comfortable with mechanical work than electrical.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: