Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Opinion cracked Subaru EJ22e head around spark pluig
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:46 pm    Post subject: Opinion cracked Subaru EJ22e head around spark pluig Reply with quote

I'm putting a 91 EJ22e Subaru into my vanagon. Thought I'd do timing belt/head gaskets before I install motor into the van.

This is my first time doing head gaskets on any engine.

I dropped off the heads to the machine shop. They cleaned and surfaced them. I asked them if they pressured tested them and they said no need to since I didn't have any cracks.

Get home and upon inspection one head has cracks around the spark plug. I called them and they are like "oh well drop them back off". Not good vibes from that shop.

I know the Bentley specifically states that for a VW "Cylinder heads with cracks between the valve seats or between a valve seat and the spark plug thread can be used again without reducing service life provided that the cracks are small and not more than 0.5mm wide or that only first coil of plug thread is cracked.

What do you guys think?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by shagginwagon83 on Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:56 am; edited 1 time in total
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinion on crack on Subaru EJ22e head Reply with quote

I'm not sure I am seeing a crack. Also, I see a lot of crud around the valve seats that I would not expect to see after a valve job. It looks like they shaved the head and wire wheeled the combustion chambers.

I'd give them a liquid test. Pour some ATF or WD40 into the combustion chamber with a sparkplug installed and verify fluid does not end up in the ports.

If it does, you definitely did not get a valve job.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinion on crack on Subaru EJ22e head Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
I'm not sure I am seeing a crack. Also, I see a lot of crud around the valve seats that I would not expect to see after a valve job. It looks like they shaved the head and wire wheeled the combustion chambers.

I'd give them a liquid test. Pour some ATF or WD40 into the combustion chamber with a sparkplug installed and verify fluid does not end up in the ports.

If it does, you definitely did not get a valve job.

They did do a liquid test I believe. I will do the test myself to verify.

Mileage is unknown on these heads. It came out of my friends Vanagon and I did get to drive the vanagon with the engine installed. No issues with engine - preventative maintenance call.

They did not do a valve job. Should I have this done? Maybe I need to go to another machine shop. The bill for the clean/check was $132.

I am going to go get better photos.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinion on crack on Subaru EJ22e head Reply with quote

Find some mom and pop repair shop that does a lot of Subaru work and ask them for their opinion on running these heads.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinion on crack on Subaru EJ22e head Reply with quote

For yourself, you can do what you want. For a paying owner, the work is in getting the heads on and off. I would have had the valve job done including new valve stem seals. Maybe a used engine with 25,000 miles no, but 100,000 miles for sure.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinion on crack on Subaru EJ22e head Reply with quote

Video of the head cracks

Link

MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinion on crack on Subaru EJ22e head Reply with quote

hmmm, pull the plugs and see if the suspected cracks are into the threads. Another quick test is to spray the area with brake kleen or carb cleaner. It will evaporate quicker from the flat surfaces and the crack will be more pronounced if it is a crack.

When VW says cracks are ok, its between the valve seats, not to the sparkplug area.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinion on crack on Subaru EJ22e head Reply with quote

It does go 4-5 threads deep in the spark plug hole.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinion on crack on Subaru EJ22e head Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:

I’d not be using them. Sorry.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinion on crack on Subaru EJ22e head Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
shagginwagon83 wrote:

I’d not be using them. Sorry.

Thanks Mark, that is a bummer, but part of it. I'm going to try to find a new head. I also found a machine shop that will do the following:
Quote:

"Our complete cylinder head service is the best bang for your buck when getting Subaru heads serviced for a build. It consists of: head hot tanked and cleaned thoroughly, head gasket mating service decked, magnaflux penetrant tested for cracked and damage, pressure tested, valves lapped and checked (replacement valves is additional charge), valve stem seals replaced, cam clearance checked & valve lash set. Ceramic coating is an additional charge. Turn around time roughly 4 to 15 days."

dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinion on crack on Subaru EJ22e head Reply with quote

Yep. If you want long life from a head no level of crack is OK. YMMV.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinion on crack on Subaru EJ22e head Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
Thanks Mark, that is a bummer, but part of it. I'm going to try to find a new head. I also found a machine shop that will do the following:
Quote:

"Our complete cylinder head service is the best bang for your buck when getting Subaru heads serviced for a build. It consists of: head hot tanked and cleaned thoroughly, head gasket mating service decked, magnaflux penetrant tested for cracked and damage, pressure tested, valves lapped and checked (replacement valves is additional charge), valve stem seals replaced, cam clearance checked & valve lash set. Ceramic coating is an additional charge. Turn around time roughly 4 to 15 days."

That would be a service on a set of good heads to be cleaned up for reuse, it would not benefit you at this point.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Opinion on crack on Subaru EJ22e head Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
That would be a service on a set of good heads to be cleaned up for reuse, it would not benefit you at this point.

Yes - find a used, good head - then have that service done.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Opinion on crack on Subaru EJ22e head Reply with quote

Sure. This machine shop is doing steps above what the last machine shop did and you will have a better end product. The magnafluxing of the head would have shown your head wasn't salvageable right out the gate.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Opinion on crack on Subaru EJ22e head Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
Yep. If you want long life from a head no level of crack is OK. YMMV.

Yeah my thoughts exactly. It will eventually be a problem.

I contact AMP Performance in Asheville. They said they charge $80 for a 'core' and said they have a head they can service - which is great news.

They specialize in rebuilding Subaru motors and have heard great things. https://www.weareflatamp.com/shop/6
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Opinion cracked Subaru EJ22e head around spark pluig Reply with quote

Great call Brandon, AMP has a strong local reputation. If I end up going Subaru someday vs FAS (strongly leaning FAS), I'll work with AMP, for sure. Although, by the time I get around to this, maybe I'd have a legit electric option, that'd be cool to consider.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: