Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Quiet the exhaust system, easy and cheap.
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gbug13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:03 pm    Post subject: Quiet the exhaust system, easy and cheap. Reply with quote

Most baja folks like loud exhaust systems like the stinger,etc. But has anyone quieted down their exhaust? Ive seen the expensive "quiet" kits you can buy for a thousand dollars or more. I was wondering what cheap DIY or homemade things have you done to quiet down your exhaust systems? Pictures are great.
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Quiet the exhaust system, easy and cheap. Reply with quote

I made a stinger of sorts for my Class 11 look a like, I fit a baffle in it and it made it a bit quieter but its still loud. I made the stinger from 2" stainless tubing and made the baffle from 1 1/4" SS buy taking a cut off wheel in a grinder and cutting a series of cuts around the tube and driving them in with a dull screwdriver, I split the ends and bent them out to fit inside the stinger and tacked them in place. I have driven passed cops writing tickets and they have never looked twice at me.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

eQ
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: Quiet the exhaust system, easy and cheap. Reply with quote

The quick easy fix I did on a pair of dual cannons that were too loud was find a set of resonators that fit in the cannon mufflers. It made the exhaust note very quiet. It was a temporary solution so I just held them there with a bungie cord but they could have been tack welded in place too.

Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Quiet the exhaust system, easy and cheap. Reply with quote

I replaced a stinger with this muffler. It's not real expensive.

https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C13%2D3369

~I'm almost done. I just lack finishing up.~ Anxious
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: Quiet the exhaust system, easy and cheap. Reply with quote

Is it a sign of age that I'd recommend the stock exhaust system? Dusty please send help

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Quiet the exhaust system, easy and cheap. Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
Is it a sign of age that I'd recommend the stock exhaust system? Dusty please send help

I am certified for designing injection molds.

I am certified for fabricating injection molds.

I am certified for metal spraying things such as surfaces for injection molds and patterns.

I am certified for operating in a hazardous waste environment.

I am certified for operating a fork lift.

I am certified for operating a community potable water system.

I am certified for designing community water systems.

I am certified for designing waste water treatment plants

I am certified for "Do it right the 1st, EVERY time."

If there WERE such a certification as I went through my career, I would be certified for design and construction of race cars of many categories. There ARE such certifications now that I'm retired.

If there WERE such a certification as I went through my career, I would be certified for Design and construction of Baja Bugs and VW-based Buggies. That is a specialty for which there IS no certification.

I am certified for many things. Which I suppose means that I am highly certifiable. Shocked Rolling Eyes Embarassed

When I was young, being "certifiable" meant "certifiably insane". More recently, it's been called "5150" after a law allowing Psychiatrists to certify that someone is insane to the point of being a hazard to themselves and/or others and thus should be confined in an institution for treatment of such issues. Still the same as being "certifiable"...

My certified services do NOT include Psyche issues.

Cool

Brian, I don't think you're old. You're probably a lot less old than me. And I don't advocate stock exhausts on VW-based offroad vehicles. I have a Turbo Muffler on mine. But you just might be certifiable.
Smile
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ekacpuc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Quiet the exhaust system, easy and cheap. Reply with quote

Didn’t list the exhaust you have.. I saw a quite pack posted for one style. If you have the “competition” style there’s options like the link below. It’s pretty quiet. I get off work between 12am-4am and haven’t had anyone complain. I did get complaints about a Chevy pickup with flowmasters..

http://carcraftstore.com/mufflerkit.aspx
carlos_magnum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Quiet the exhaust system, easy and cheap. Reply with quote

Dark Earth wrote:
I replaced a stinger with this muffler. It's not real expensive.

https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C13%2D3369

My brother has the same muffler as yours. The sound is nice and not excessively loud.
Wulfthang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Quiet the exhaust system, easy and cheap. Reply with quote

Well, I don't know if this helps, but:
My rail is street legal and I drive it regularly on and off road. Because of the way it looks, I always expected to get hassled by the cops so I have tried to be as legal as possible. (Think Mad Max!) The engine is a Ford naturally aspirated V6 and it's loud. Solid lifters give it a little bit of rattle and the carb roar is pretty noticeable.

The worst noisemaker was the exhaust system. The headers flowed out thru two glass packs. It roared or it screamed, depending on how high I was cranking it. It was way to loud, especially since there was nothing between me and the engine. It hurt my ears and I know if bothered people in other cars in traffic.

I rebuilt the exhaust system with two Turbo Mufflers and took the glass packs off. The difference is incredible. It still screams if I crank it up but it sounds very polite otherwise. People actually compliment it in traffic now instead of rolling up their windows.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: