Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

PLUGGING THE HOLES to keep mice out of a Vanagon (mouse)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bajaleo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: PLUGGING THE HOLES to keep mice out of a Vanagon (mouse) Reply with quote

I think my plan going forward is to fill that whole area with stainless steel scrubbies, as in cram as many in there as I can. Now's the time since my fridge is out.

Or what about this. Do I really need those holes? Is there any reason I can't fill them with body caulk? Maybe leave one open.
Sodo wrote:
bajaleo wrote:
there is access

If you can't block the rust-access holes then block those drain holes.
Kinda looks like peices of stainless-steel-scrubbie would stay in those holes.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: PLUGGING THE HOLES to keep mice out of a Vanagon (mouse) Reply with quote

If the fridge is out and the floor is rusted away....

Fix the floor!

Even if you cannot weld, pick up some sheet metal and self drilling screws.
Caulk the metal and screw it to the floor, a repair job that is fast, dirty and ugly ...... are better than open holes.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: PLUGGING THE HOLES to keep mice out of a Vanagon (mouse) Reply with quote

I just had my dash out to replace the heater core and blower motor and noticed two factory (?) holes that I didn't know existed. They are pretty small (1/2in in diameter), but maybe a small mouse could squeeze through? Even if they can't, it's a place for bugs to get in.

The holes are located directly above the radiator and lead into the ducting of the fresh air intake. I used a metal hole plug to close both of them.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: PLUGGING THE HOLES to keep mice out of a Vanagon (mouse) Reply with quote

A mouse only needs a 1/4" opening to gain access. They probably will not fit out the same hole after they eat all your food!

A rust hole in the Fresh Air Intake.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: PLUGGING THE HOLES to keep mice out of a Vanagon (mouse) Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
A mouse only needs a 1/4" opening to gain access.

Its “a 1/4” wide slot” not 1/4” diameter hole.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: PLUGGING THE HOLES to keep mice out of a Vanagon (mouse) Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Steve M. wrote:

Doesn't make a difference to me. It is blocked.

According to "Dr. Bobby Corrigan, noted rodentologist and award-winning pest management consultant, states that if you can put a #2 pencil into a hole, a mouse would be able to get through it as well. "

A "rodentologist" ? Never heard that one before. What award was he given, a lump of cheese?

I don't quite believe a #2 pencil, but I guess if you had a baby mouse it's a possibility, but it's against the union rules to test them so young.

blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: PLUGGING THE HOLES to keep mice out of a Vanagon (mouse) Reply with quote

Well the two holes I just mentioned are a good bit larger than a #2 pencil, so if that rodentologist can be trusted then its a legitimate concern. I've never heard of anyone mentioning those holes before so just another spot to check if you've got some young mice running around your van.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: PLUGGING THE HOLES to keep mice out of a Vanagon (mouse) Reply with quote

blackglasspirate wrote:
Well the two holes I just mentioned are a good bit larger than a #2 pencil, so if that rodentologist can be trusted then its a legitimate concern. I've never heard of anyone mentioning those holes before so just another spot to check if you've got some young mice running around your van.

Looking at your picture of it there are signs of a washer being in place at the hole. The darker circle around the hole says to me it was used for something at one time, but what?

I just looked at the pictures from when I rebuilt my heater box and I have the same holes, but no tell tail sign that there was a washer in place. (sorry for the mouse pun!)

brickster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: PLUGGING THE HOLES to keep mice out of a Vanagon (mouse) Reply with quote

Could it just be a drain?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: PLUGGING THE HOLES to keep mice out of a Vanagon (mouse) Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Steve M. wrote:

A Norway rat will wait for a 6mm hole
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: PLUGGING THE HOLES to keep mice out of a Vanagon (mouse) Reply with quote

brickster wrote:

You're probably right. That seems like the most logical explanation. As mentioned, it does look like there may have been something there at one point but what? My dash had never been disassembled before by the looks of it so if there had been something there then it would have been removed from the outside.

Either way, it's plugged now, but if they were there for draining then I guess I'll have a soggy dash next thunderstorm I drive through.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: PLUGGING THE HOLES to keep mice out of a Vanagon (mouse) Reply with quote

blackglasspirate wrote:
brickster wrote:

You're probably right. That seems like the most logical explanation. Either way, it's plugged now, but if they were there for draining then I guess I'll have a soggy dash next thunderstorm I drive through.

I wouldn’t seal it.....
Can plug it such that baby mice can’t get in but water or humid air can get out.
A screw & washers & nut.
Or Stainless steer scrubbie.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
61Scout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: PLUGGING THE HOLES to keep mice out of a Vanagon (mouse) Reply with quote

Hi all. Watching some youtube and stumbled upon this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07k_FeRVg6A

Here's the website:

www.mouseblocker.com

FWIW, I have zero affiliation or experience with this product. For $100 I may have to try it though. Mostly posting here as an FYI for anyone looking for further protection. I don't think anyone has posted this before? but I also didn't read all of the posts in this thread.

Cheers,
Kevin
Remove the front spindle nut with ease: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679567&highlight=
Remove the rear wheel bearing housing without messing with the big 46mm nut: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679507&highlight=

-Nec Spe, Nec Metu
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: PLUGGING THE HOLES to keep mice out of a Vanagon (mouse) Reply with quote

I use ultrasonic units when I store my Syncro. minimum of 4, front rear and both sides.
1 aimed up at the engine bay.
The guy next to my unit is pulling out mice traps every other day and I haven't seen a mouse in my workshop at all. I think I chased them all over to his place! 😁

AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: PLUGGING THE HOLES to keep mice out of a Vanagon (mouse) Reply with quote

Chiming in my experience with mice in my Tin-top Vanagons with no rust issues.
And, I did not read all the posts in this Thread.

Just my experience and we do have a lot of mice because our house is basically in the forest.

Two places I found they were getting in.

1. Up front behind the top grill into the fresh air system

2. In back at scoop vents. Mice can enter thru the top of the hole.

Once I plugged those two areas, I've had no mice in either of my Vans (84 & 89). Thorough cleaning, including removing the dash, eliminated the mouse pee odor. I keep mouse traps baited with cheese and/or peanut butter in both Vans. I have not caught a mouse since plugging those holes several years ago.

Now, someone tell me how those pesky critters get in my 95 Blazer and 2011 VW Tiguan ..........
WillSharp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: PLUGGING THE HOLES to keep mice out of a Vanagon (mouse) Reply with quote

rubber boot around the steering column if bumped out of place creates a pretty big opening.

?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: PLUGGING THE HOLES to keep mice out of a Vanagon (mouse) Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
"Dr. Bobby Corrigan, noted rodentologist and award-winning pest management consultant, states that if you can put a #2 pencil into a hole, a mouse would be able to get through it as well."

'#2' is a description of the hardness of the 'lead' not an indication of the size of the pencil. A #2 pencil can be any size. Just get one of these pencils, and then you only need to be concerned about really large holes.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: PLUGGING THE HOLES to keep mice out of a Vanagon (mouse) Reply with quote

Heheh, too funny!!

Also "a mouse" ... uhhhh, what kind of mouse? I've seen some really small mice that are full grown as well as really big ones. I am pretty sure there are different species of rodents that are classified as mice that might be as small as a shrew, or as large as a rat. I like shrews, they eat centipedes! I just don't think I have any centipedes in my buses.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: PLUGGING THE HOLES to keep mice out of a Vanagon (mouse) Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
Steve M. wrote:
"Dr. Bobby Corrigan, noted rodentologist and award-winning pest management consultant, states that if you can put a #2 pencil into a hole, a mouse would be able to get through it as well."

Agreed the statement has a scent of sloppiness that I would not expect from a genuine Dr..
Hmmmm mouse stuffs his head thru.
Then one arm, then shoulder.
Then other arm & shoulder.
Doesn’t sound feasible.
Perhaps a baby mouse.

Maybe it refers to pushing the mouse thru with hydraulic pressure (like toothpaste).

E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: PLUGGING THE HOLES to keep mice out of a Vanagon (mouse) Reply with quote

Thanks for the focused thread, Sodo, and to all contributors, it came up #1 on Google for “mouse entry points Vanagon.”

We’ve gotten a couple mice again, and think Merian!s comment of “mice jumping in” may well be responsible for most invasions — despite our “Keep Out” signs. Laughing

BUT... in rechecking all my barriers, I came across one, to me, MAJOR entry point!

1. Remove upper radiator grille
2. Remove the four screws holding the driver’s side headlamp in, holding the lamp in when removing fourth screw
3. Pull headlamp a few inches out, unplug connector, notate reassembly orientation and set headlamp aside. This is a great time to clean the connections as neither headlamp will work if corroded
4. Unscrew the assembly holding the antenna atop the body, but leave it attached by a rotation or two
5. Note BIG ENOUGH lower antenna hole that is just above and to the right of where headlamp sits!
6. All our van’s rubber and grommets are in great shape, so I do not know if a grommet should be there
7. With antenna nut still mostly loosened, clean area if necessary and liberally apply silicone all around the lower antenna hole and especially around the backside. Push sealer beyond the hole and apply more
8. Tighten antenna nut fully
9. After silicone is tack-free, apply more all around to ensure sealing and longevity, plug in and screw down headlamps, put on grille
10. Lie around in the complete belief you’ll never have another mouse. Or not.

EDIT:
Adding that there were several droppings below this entry point — on a van having nearly none anywhere else

— Colin Chapman
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: