Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Are safari windows worth the leaks?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject: Are safari windows worth the leaks? Reply with quote

Good afternoon-

Seeking opinions more than anything. I spent some time over the weekend reading on the Samba some posts on safari windows.

Seems like one can't escape that they all leak in some way. Sure, some more that others.

I'm just wondering if it is worth trying to wipe up leaks all the time vs. dealing with that and just enjoying them.

I guess I'm looking for someone to make the decision for me ha-ha. Of course if you have any leak-proof ideas, I am all ears.

Thank you
-Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Are safari windows worth the leaks? Reply with quote

more people at the beach or ice cream stand will take pics if yer front winders open Wink
peeps in the dessert will say it's good for ventilation.. they don't understand the New England climate though. they'll just whip out some painters tape for that occasional driving inthe rain day.

I'd say it's a personal choice as to how much or where you want to stop with the accessorizing of your bus.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrWhoopee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Are safari windows worth the leaks? Reply with quote

markeaton wrote:
Good afternoon-

Seeking opinions more than anything. I spent some time over the weekend reading on the Samba some posts on safari windows.

Seems like one can't escape that they all leak in some way. Sure, some more that others.

I'm just wondering if it is worth trying to wipe up leaks all the time vs. dealing with that and just enjoying them.

I guess I'm looking for someone to make the decision for me ha-ha. Of course if you have any leak-proof ideas, I am all ears.

Thank you
-Mark

I went to a lot of trouble and expense to get my truck weather-tight and leak free. I wasn't about to create new leaks in the name of fashion. I would, however, appreciate the breeze on hot summer days.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Are safari windows worth the leaks? Reply with quote

Yes
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Are safari windows worth the leaks? Reply with quote

On one ordered with them I’d say yes.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Are safari windows worth the leaks? Reply with quote

No.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Are safari windows worth the leaks? Reply with quote

When I lived in WA the safaris (original to my 61) were usually stored in the garage, and the bus had solid windshields. Sometimes I put the passenger side in in June, and swapped it back half way through September. It rains on average over 150 days a year there. When the seals were NOS, they did not leak. Then they leaked in heavy rain. Then they leaked in medium rain. . After a couple years they just really leaked really bad.

Now in live in CA, and the safaris are installed. They are awesome when it is over 75 F. If I drive in the rain my feet get wet. I doubt it'll rain again till after Halloween, and I'll be using them most afternoons I'm in the bus.

Bottom line, depends on your climate.
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: Are safari windows worth the leaks? Reply with quote

I agree, climate plays a huge factor. If you are planning to drive your bus on as a daily driver or at least on a regular basis during warm weather seasons, safaris definitely offer some relief from the heat. I can say that in dry Oklahoma summers I welcome the extra breeze and therefore tolerate the leaks during spring and fall.

If your bus is mostly going to be driven on cruises and to and from local cars shows then rain isn't a factor, because rain usually cancels those events, so install them and you can look like every other bus at the show/cruise!
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: Are safari windows worth the leaks? Reply with quote

Thank you for all your replies. You've truly given me food for thought.
PYE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: Are safari windows worth the leaks? Reply with quote

Am I the only one with Safaris that dont leak?
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Are safari windows worth the leaks? Reply with quote

Yes.
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PYE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: Are safari windows worth the leaks? Reply with quote

Okie Adam wrote:
Yes.

Amazing!!!
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Are safari windows worth the leaks? Reply with quote

I have had a few buses without safaris, regular windshields can leak too lol.

I finally put an og set in one of my buses. They definitely leak. I love them and cruise with them open about an inch every time its a little bit warm out. I drive my bus quite a bit, during 3 seasons and like the extra air flow. I live in Canada, its not particularly rainy or hot here, and the bus is parked for winter 4-5 mos a year. I am glad I installed them, they increased my enjoyment of my bus. Not sure what everyone is talking about fashion, for me they are functional.
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Are safari windows worth the leaks? Reply with quote

Thanks buseric. I live along the seacoast of NH and as you know, we get the 4 seasons. And because I live along the Atlantic, we get nor'easters. I do have a garage to house my bus.

I do like the idea of the sunny rides along the shores, the car shows, etc., etc. Just seems like a better design can be done with regards to leaks. I read the Vaseline tricks, keeping towels onboard, etc.

Anyway, I am still trying to think about it. I love the look and appeal of them, but the leaks just bother me.
DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Are safari windows worth the leaks? Reply with quote

It's really up to you! I have them and it rains like a MOFO here in MO. Not all the time, but when it comes on, I have microfiber towels at the ready. Mine don't leak bad during normal rain, but when it is torrential it's coming inside. Some of the seals out there work better than others. Again, how cool do you want to roll or how hot?

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

"The original & best lowered Split Bus website/club"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Are safari windows worth the leaks? Reply with quote

1953-1967, buses were equipped with vent windows that actually work. They will push as much air in your face and cab as you like. Effectively, there is not a huge difference, however, safaris are way cooler. They look cool and people love them. They will put whatever is in front of the bus inside the bus, be it water or air. If it is over 100 outside, then either the safaris or the vent windows turn your bus into a convection oven.

The zone where safaris work best is between 70 and 90 degrees with no rain. The further it is from that zone, the more they suck. Still, they are the number one most popular bus accessory.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Are safari windows worth the leaks? Reply with quote

FWIW, here’s my 25 cents...

I used to say “I don’t need safari windshields!” However, having broken enough fixed ones upon installing them, after doing my front skin replacement a decision had to be made. So I called Wolfgang and asked if they had a set in stock because a camping weekend was coming and I needed to finish the job with a quickness. Got them within 2 days and installed them.

Now I’m very happy that I did! Yes, they do leak some but my old fixed ones did too! To date, I have installed about 7 sets with one actually “leak proof” and the others average. So as stated, it is a personal choice but I was against them... until I got them! Cool
Long-roofs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Are safari windows worth the leaks? Reply with quote

YES

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"No, I do not own a bleepin' leaf blower"

--
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Are safari windows worth the leaks? Reply with quote

Quite the pics of the "beer trays" Very Happy
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Are safari windows worth the leaks? Reply with quote

Beer or burgers

62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: