Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The DUMBEST things you've found done to engines
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The DUMBEST things you've found done to engines Reply with quote

I've got a contender
Perkins engine block here, has a piece of angle iron welded in the cylinder for the purpose of removing the cylinder sleeve.

Here is the problem

Only certain versions of this engine have removable cylinder sleeves,
and this isn't one of them!
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: The DUMBEST things you've found done to engines Reply with quote

modok wrote:
I've got a contender
Perkins engine block here, has a piece of angle iron welded in the cylinder for the purpose of removing the cylinder sleeve.

Here is the problem

Shocked dang. What if you bored the bores even larger, and then slipped in a new sleeve?

I've never seen one installed on a typical v8 but aren't they just press fits?
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: The DUMBEST things you've found done to engines Reply with quote

some are press fits some arnt...Ive installed tomany. , but for some of the stupidest things ever have to be the morons that put them into production Shocked Wink or the other morons that take a 250 hp 16 valve dohc 2.4l performance na engine and make it so it only puts out....160~170 hp at the flywheel!!! you cant fix stupid. now if it said honda on the valve cover it would probably be 260 hp...but it dont.you cant fix stupid. I think hondas s 2000 NA 4 cyl engine at 2000 cc is around 240 hp....like it should be,
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: The DUMBEST things you've found done to engines Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
modok wrote:
I've got a contender

Here is the problem

Shocked dang. What if you bored the bores even larger, and then slipped in a new sleeve?

I've never seen one installed on a typical v8 but aren't they just press fits?

Good guess, that's exactly the plan. I've put in many hundreds of sleeves, just did three today. you can use a heavy press fit, but usually it is better to use a light press fit and a step at the bottom below the sleeve so it can't drop.
But boring through the weld zone will be.......not fun. I am suspect the welding has created super hard zones around the weld.
Excited to start fixing it soon as they put down a deposit. Razz
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: The DUMBEST things you've found done to engines Reply with quote

yes it will have some hard zones, I wood use a die grinder and take out almost the thickness of the sleeve you intend to put back in. or it's just going to kill/dull the cutter and..creat a lot of heat as it trys to knurl it's way through....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: